Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

what are these and should i replace them? PIC

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
what are these and should i replace them? PIC

i've never taken a bike apart before and was surprised when i removed the rear wheel and found these...what do they do? should i replace them as the bridges that connect 2 of them are broken, or can i glue them back together?

thanks guys

andy
Attached Thumbnails what are these and should i replace them?  PIC-2008_0330friedrr0030.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by andy9743
i've never taken a bike apart before and was surprised when i removed the rear wheel and found these...what do they do? should i replace them as the bridges that connect 2 of them are broken, or can i glue them back together?

thanks guys

andy
Clean the rubber driveline damper blocks and use some good electrical tape to reconnect them, then install them and check for a loose fit in their rear sprocket hub cavities. If they are loose, cut up an old inner tube for shims and reinstall them with a tight fit. Clean and silicone grease the sprocket hub O-ring and be sure the sprocket hub fits properly and fully into the wheel. Check the rear sprocket, chain and countershaft sprocket for wear; replace as a set if necessary. Lube and wipe the chain and check the rear sprocket nuts for proper tightness, reinstall the chain and rear wheel and tighten axle nut to 69 Ft lbs; the chain will tighten up when fully torqued so have the chain a bit loose when the axle nut is only just snug during alignment. Do not use the chain adjuster index marks other than for rough alignment. Use a milimeter pocket scale with a sliding length indicator to align the wheel on each side so they are the same. Measure from the end of the adjusters above or adjacent the adjuster locknuts to the end of the swing arm; and/or use the parallel string method.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Squid

Mnvtrryder is on a distinguished road
I used silicone gasket sealer to reattach mine, strong enough to hold them together but yet flexible and pliable.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Squid

Reinske is on a distinguished road
They don't necessarily need to be together, but they must be mount... And they only fit in one position. They shall be a little "soft", if they are very "hard", you should replace them. ( Sorry for the vocabulary... ) You know what I mean? "Soft" like a rubber, you know? They shall damp the rear wheel movement, so the wheels acceleration is smoother... ( Oh man, vocabs again... )
Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Andy, they are called a rear wheel damper set and run about 20 bucks at your local dealer. If you have any play in your drive-train at the rear wheel (not lateral but forward and backwards) they will need to be replaced...they do wear out from compression cuz we gots some torque and from drying out, so replace them when you're ready...simple as that...I replaced mine at 12K miles when I started getting a lot of play that I could actually detect when changing gears...

Ride on Bro,
Rick C.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Squid

Timmybung is on a distinguished road
Typically referred to as the cush drive (i.e. cushion).
Old 04-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Timmybung
Typically referred to as the cush drive (i.e. cushion).
huh definately didn't know that...you guys have no idea how much i've learned on this site!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Superstock

oh and i just replaced them while it was apart, thanks guys
Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
Honestly people. It took 6 replies untill we got the proper name.
If you don't know what things are. Maybe you should leave them alone.

You were taking apart your bike and found the cush drive and didn't know what it was.

Why were you wrenching then?

thanks guys

andy
Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fuzzuki

You were taking apart your bike and found the cush drive and didn't know what it was.

Why were you wrenching then?
Are you serious... I replaced my front sprocket last night, had to pull the black circular thingy off to get the cover thing off...

Seriously though... there are TONS of people who are more than capable to work on there bikes/cars/trucks who may not no the name of some of the parts they come into contact with....

Not to mention there are 10 names used for the same part in many cases...

If you can visually see how a part comes off, and are smart enough to put it back on the same way.. who gives a F if you know what its called?

And thats what is so great, there are forums like this one with MOSTLY nice people who are more than willing to help out
Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Back Marker

The question states....

What are they? What do they do? Should I replace them?

Yes, I should have been nicer. I agree.

But if you don't know what a cush drive is and what it does. Should you really be working on your own bike.

Chances are, he'll mess something up. Without knowing it.
He could get himself hurt or dead.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Your right to an extent.... BUT... people gotta learn... thats why most of us are here...

and he posted pics to ask what they where, and was smart enough to question the ability of reusing them, vs replacing, and even though people suggested fixing then, he did replace them anyway.

So we gotta give some credit.... I'm assuming that if he wasn't sure what he was getting into, he took mental notes of how they came off, and i'm just as shure they went back on correctly, or we would have seen other posts saying why does this not feel right...

point is.. nobody is a knowledgeable mechanic without at some point being a unknowledgeable mechanic.. they all started by working on odds and ends before they made a career out of it right?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
Your right to an extent.... BUT... people gotta learn... thats why most of us are here...

and he posted pics to ask what they where, and was smart enough to question the ability of reusing them, vs replacing, and even though people suggested fixing then, he did replace them anyway.

So we gotta give some credit.... I'm assuming that if he wasn't sure what he was getting into, he took mental notes of how they came off, and i'm just as shure they went back on correctly, or we would have seen other posts saying why does this not feel right...

point is.. nobody is a knowledgeable mechanic without at some point being a unknowledgeable mechanic.. they all started by working on odds and ends before they made a career out of it right?
+1 its like how my dad is a mechanic and i'll says hes like this forum when i need help with something he usually knows what needs to be done. so lemme guess you were born an all knowing mechanic? hell i had the exact question for my dad when i took my rear wheel off to get some new tires on it.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Superstock

i took pictures actually as i took things apart...along with buying a manual and labeling all nuts/bolts with notes as to where they came from. thanks for the input from those that had something worth saying.

for every fuzzuki out there there are 10 decent guys...this forum seems to have more decent guys then umm fuzzuki's

thanks again
andy
Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

Your welcome.

You're all entitled to my opinion.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
I was cleaning up the bike last night and noticed my sprocket has about 1/8th of "play" if I hold my wheel and try to turn the sprocket. I read in my manual on the rear wheel disassemby and saw this damper rubber. I would imagine the damper rubber (if bad) would allow for this 'slop' in my sprocket? My bike has 13.5k miles on it. Wondering what else might cause this play and also why so early on or what might be the cause. TIA
Old 07-07-2008, 06:15 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Where does this piece install exactly? Is it behind the sprocket?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Ejection Seat Fixer
Squid

74stingray is on a distinguished road
i took pictures actually as i took things apart...along with buying a manual and labeling all nuts/bolts with notes as to where they came from. thanks for the input from those that had something worth saying.

for every fuzzuki out there there are 10 decent guys...this forum seems to have more decent guys then umm fuzzuki's

thanks again
andy

well said....

I am a aircraft mechanic, sometimes you just gotta look at the book dig in and get it done!

going by the book, tagging and making notes of what you're doing, all good signs of a good mechanic.... so keep wrenching! ( and always take pictures!)
Old 07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by haknslash
I was cleaning up the bike last night and noticed my sprocket has about 1/8th of "play" if I hold my wheel and try to turn the sprocket. I read in my manual on the rear wheel disassemby and saw this damper rubber. I would imagine the damper rubber (if bad) would allow for this 'slop' in my sprocket? My bike has 13.5k miles on it. Wondering what else might cause this play and also why so early on or what might be the cause. TIA

TTT....
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Yep, you need to replace your rear wheel damper set:
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...oup/REAR_WHEEL

I've done it and it's easy as pie
RC
Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 AM
SuperSport

I figured that would be the likely culprit. Might as well tackle the polished wheel project while I had it torn down and off the bike.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

I figured that would be the likely culprit. Might as well tackle the polished wheel project while I had it torn down and off the bike.
I've got a set of polished wheels for sale if you want them. Front is currently off, but still running the rear for now using up tire before installing the 900rr rear wheel with a new tire...Just let me know!
RC