Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Installed front sprocket cover?

Old 03-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Squid

troy_v
Installed front sprocket cover?

I bought one of those Coerce front sprocket guards (cover) on Ebay for a good price. My question is about its installation, with respect to the clutch slave cylinder: To remove the oem sprocket cover, you have to remove the clutch slave cylinder. If I would do that, does the entire slave cylinder come apart? ie. does all the fluid come out, etc? I'm trying to figure out if the install of the aftermarket sprocket cover will require draining all the clutch fluid, and also installing a new gasket for the slave cylinder. Can anyone answer this for me?

Thanks,
Troy

Here's a link to what the Coerce sprocket guard looks like (sorry, couldn't hyperlink it):
http://www.pacmax.com/ <click on 'Coerce', then 'sprocket guards', then scroll down>
Old 03-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Re: Installed front sprocket cover?

I bought the same one and its pretty easy to install. The slave cylinder comes off the sprocket cover without looseing any fluid so don't worry. But be sure to tie wrap the clutch lever to the handle bar so when you do unbolt the cover the slave cylinder piston won't shoot out. I did'nt bother to put the new slave gasket on but thats your call. I've had no problem with it. Also take the spacer plate that goes behind the stock sprocket cover and use it behind the coerce bolt spacers to give it the proper spacing for your slave to operate. If I get a chance I'll take pictures of the one thats on my project bike and post them. 8)
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Squid

troy_v

Originally Posted by mystikkowboy";p=&quot View Post
I bought the same one and its pretty easy to install. The slave cylinder comes off the sprocket cover without looseing any fluid so don't worry. But be sure to tie wrap the clutch lever to the handle bar so when you do unbolt the cover the slave cylinder piston won't shoot out. I did'nt bother to put the new slave gasket on but thats your call. I've had no problem with it. Also take the spacer plate that goes behind the stock sprocket cover and use it behind the coerce bolt spacers to give it the proper spacing for your slave to operate. If I get a chance I'll take pictures of the one thats on my project bike and post them. 8)
Thanks Kowboy for the helpful reply. One question, though: does the spacer plate go on the motor side of the coerce spacers, or put it between the coerce spacers and the coerce sprocket guard? I assume it's between the motor and the coerce spacers.... ??

And I had no idea that if I didn't zip-tie the clutch lever to the handlebar that the piston would shoot out! That wouldn't be good! Anything else that I should look out for, or might there be a special way to handle the clutch slave cylinder?

Thanks,
Troy
Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren

Originally Posted by troy_v";p=&quot View Post

Thanks Kowboy for the helpful reply. One question, though: does the spacer plate go on the motor side of the coerce spacers, or put it between the coerce spacers and the coerce sprocket guard? I assume it's between the motor and the coerce spacers.... ??

And I had no idea that if I didn't zip-tie the clutch lever to the handlebar that the piston would shoot out! That wouldn't be good! Anything else that I should look out for, or might there be a special way to handle the clutch slave cylinder?

Thanks,
Troy
I just installed the coerce sprocket guard the other day. Didn't zip tie the lever down, nothing popped out at me;-) I was eyeing up the little metal spacer thing after I finished installing the coerce unit, I left if off though. I wasn't sure if I should put it on or not and the Coerce instructions are useless unless you read Japanese. Once the salt gets off the road here in Buffalo I'll take it out, from there I'll know if I need to put that little metal spacer piece in there....
Old 04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk

Well the deal with zip tieing the lever down is from my first experience with the superhawk slave cylinder. I pulled it off and the slave cylinder slowly pushed the piston out as I was working on cutting up a stock sprocket cover(beautiful sparks magnesium makes!). Thats was advice from a factory tech to tie up the lever.
As for the metal plate spacer I put it between the motor and coerce spacers as recommended by the same factory tech guy because the coerce spacers are only the width of the stock sprocket cover without that metal plate.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren

Originally Posted by mystikkowboy";p=&quot View Post
Well the deal with zip tieing the lever down is from my first experience with the superhawk slave cylinder. I pulled it off and the slave cylinder slowly pushed the piston out as I was working on cutting up a stock sprocket cover(beautiful sparks magnesium makes!). Thats was advice from a factory tech to tie up the lever.
As for the metal plate spacer I put it between the motor and coerce spacers as recommended by the same factory tech guy because the coerce spacers are only the width of the stock sprocket cover without that metal plate.
good stuff. I'll pop it off and stick that spacer back in there. Sounds like I got lucky with the slave cylinder this time. I'll give the zippo a try.