Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
So I just bought my bike, its at 28K miles and I need to do this immediately or I'll be buying a new engine soon?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
I dont mean to bitch about them, but this issue is really something that shouldn't be happening, or at least happening without major damage.

I can live with R/R's frying, 100 bucks and it take 5 mintues to replace and your back on the road, no biggie... but the CCT's cause much worse damage, and are much more dangerous if it causes the motor to lockup at speed.

I've owned (6) Hondas becuase they are uber-reliable and WELL engineered... this is the only issue I've come across that has made me worry on any of my bikes.

J.
I second that. I've had Hondas that I was embarassed by how little care I took of them. I've had an 85 Magna and a 88 Hurricane that could not be killed.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I agree with the comment about HOW the bike is used being a possible contributing factor to CCT longevity. If the SH is bought used the new owner has no way of knowing what kind of ham-fisted stunts, drag strip passes, and track days the bike has endured before changing hands. I know I wouldn't buy a used New York city taxi-cab and I sure wouldn't buy a SH that has been beaten like a red headed stepchild either.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Hey tweety, thanks for the answer, finally someone on this forum who doesnt respond with "do a search". I guess the next important question is where do I track down these APE ccts??

Someone must have a US link to them? No way do I want a failure; I am at about 17k so I hope to not be first on the ER line but I dont want to live dangerously.
http://www.sudco.com/
Download the pricelist and search for
HT1000VTR
They're listed at about $55; right now there is a Florida seller on ebay wants $45 plus shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190252393962
Old 09-20-2008, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey slowhawk, did/are you replacing your cct's with new stock ones or APEs?? Can gasket material just be cut to size?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:17 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Yes just make your own gaskets with gasket material. That's what I did and no issues.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Hey slowhawk, did/are you replacing your cct's with new stock ones or APEs?? Can gasket material just be cut to size?
I did APE's... and yeah, you can make your own gaskets... but for 6 bucks, how much are you really gonna save after buy material, and wasting a blade or two cutting them out nice and clean.

J.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
I dont mean to bitch about them, but this issue is really something that shouldn't be happening, or at least happening without major damage.

I can live with R/R's frying, 100 bucks and it take 5 mintues to replace and your back on the road, no biggie... but the CCT's cause much worse damage, and are much more dangerous if it causes the motor to lockup at speed.

I've owned (6) Hondas becuase they are uber-reliable and WELL engineered... this is the only issue I've come across that has made me worry on any of my bikes.

J.
I hear you, no one wants to shell out for an engine at 20k miles. Honda did have a problem with CCT's on the CX500. That one resulted in a recall. I bought a '78 CX, that was modified for canyon racing (don't laugh), from a Honda tech in 1981. He had done the retrofit on his and many other CX's at Long Beach Honda under the recall warranty. I bought that bike with 19k on the odo, and sold it 5 years later with 78,000 and running great.

It seems that a problem like this should be recognized by the manufacturer if there are enough failures. So, I don't know how to start a poll, but one might be started to see how many Forum members have experienced CCT failure.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road
I wonder if the Honda dealer's service dept. checks this during routine maintenance?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Not sure how you can check them, springs usually snap without warning due to fatigue from heat and repeated movements.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
My guess would be to check the static tension on the chains... That seems to be the only logical way... Altough that's just a guess..
Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

This is kind of related. I'm going to have my bike into a mechanic in the next week or so to fix that knocking noise I've been having. Worth it to have them install the APE CCTs while they're in there? ~13K, no rattling.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 PM
MotoGP

Since they will already be doing the expensive time consuming work of tearing it all apart, it's probably worth it on labour alone... And at ~13k you are in no way in danger (fingers crossed) but you need to sooner or later swap to new stockers or APE's...
Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Thanks, that's what I figured but always good to have confirmation. Anyone have a ballpark time estimate for getting the valve covers off etc, for an experienced mechanic? It'd likely be two weeks for me, what with nerves, late mornings, and lack of prep, so I really have no idea.

Kendrick, have you decided what you're going to do? Fix it or part it out? Personally, I'm a huge fan of the torque and sound, and mine's been modified so it's pretty damn comfortable, plus I love the streetfightered look. Conclusion: I want this bike fixed. What say you?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

I'm going to pull the front head off and see what I find. I'm assuming it's the front cylinder since it usually is. Best case scenario I let someone else rebuild my head, I'll change the CCT and hopefully reset the timing. Even if I decided to sell it it's worth nothing right now. I may fix it and keep it, fix it and sell it for something more reliable, or take it apart and find metal shavings everywhere. I don't know right now. I had to spend this last weekend getting my Jeep ready for winter. Due to my location this took priority. So maybe this weekend I'll know more.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I'll be pulling my front valve cover this weekend if the new gasket shows up. It's been leaking a bit. I want to check the chain tension while I'm in there.

Manual CCTs were installed by the previous owner, but I'm curious to see if they need adjusting. Bike has 23K on it.

(Also I did just recently have the common rectifier problem, and swapped it with a Yamaha unit.)
Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

CC, how long ago were they installed, in terms of miles? Can you check without taking the covers off?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Squid

dave sparks is on a distinguished road
cct failed

just happened to my 99 chicken bent exaust valves $$$ about $1500 Part and labor And thats with both heads so good luck with it
Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Squid

Montana is on a distinguished road
What CCT'S do I have?

How do I tell if my CCT's have been replaced with manual ones? Bought 2000 S/H with 27k without much knowledge of previous history of bike. Thanks.

Has honda made any upgrades over the years to the S/H CCT's?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
SuperSport

Look on the rear side of the rear cylinder head, there should be a piece on the engine with a bolt sticking out of it. Usually with an anodized piece that doesn't really match the rest of the bike.

There should be one on the back of the front cylinder also, sort of hidden behind there.

I have no idea when mine were installed, the owner before this guy did the work, and he worked as a Honda mechanic at the bike dealership. With manual CCTs, the tension can be crudely checked and adjusted "by ear" without taking anything apart.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Dave Sparks: youch. What was the breakdown P/L?

CC: is that safe enough to even be worth doing?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Reason
Dave Sparks: youch. What was the breakdown P/L?

CC: is that safe enough to even be worth doing?
What's unsafe about it? If the chain rattles it's not right... turn until quiet... if it gets worse go the other way...

It's safer than stock... The APE's are per the design unable to fail in the manner the stockers can...

The only reason I used stock was lazyness... couldn't be bothered to find APE's and I don't want the bother to set & re-set... I'll probably f
go APE's once these needs changing though...
Old 09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by dave sparks
just happened to my 99 chicken bent exaust valves $$$ about $1500 Part and labor And thats with both heads so good luck with it
Yeah, what was the break down? I have no intention of spending that much money on this bike.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Well, CC had said crudely, which made me think that maybe it was a "good-enough" procedure to be done when things got rattly, but that you'd later have to open it up to get it more precise.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
How Many Miles, Please!?

Originally Posted by dave sparks

Any Warning at all?

Whaling on it, or just idling around?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Reason
Well, CC had said crudely, which made me think that maybe it was a "good-enough" procedure to be done when things got rattly, but that you'd later have to open it up to get it more precise.

Well, I guess ideally, you'd want to actually measure the chain deflection. By "crudely" I did mean "good enough". But I'm no expert on this topic.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Adjusting until the noise stops seems pretty crude. Has anyone checked with an experienced Honda Tech about this problem? I will check with my local dealer.

With most car engines with a timing belt, you loosen the tensioner, rotate the crank 2 revs, then tighten the tensioner. The procedure varies with different manufacturers and engines.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
SuperSport

Seems like screwing it in until there's resistance, then backing out a certain amount would accomplish the same also.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
This isn't really an engineering error. Its hard to predict product reliabillity 20k down the road.

I lost a 98 toyota tacoma to a failed frame when it rusted from the inside out. THAT is engineering/manufacturing negligence. (I sold mine for pennies before this whole recall thing)

btw, CE's are the ones with all the common sense. ME's lose it somewhere between junior and senior year.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Adjusting until the noise stops seems pretty crude. Has anyone checked with an experienced Honda Tech about this problem? I will check with my local dealer.

With most car engines with a timing belt, you loosen the tensioner, rotate the crank 2 revs, then tighten the tensioner. The procedure varies with different manufacturers and engines.
You are forgetting one thing... APE's aren't stock... The stock one's need no adjustment... just drop them in and remove the transport tab and they set themselves...
The APE's are an aftermarket performance/race component... Honda wasn't part of that development...

Quick Reply: Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure