SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/well-i-suffered-cct-sudden-failure-16191/)

Kendrick 09-17-2008 06:28 PM

Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure

The bike started making a rattling noise on the freeway. I drove for a few minutes wondering what the noise was when it dawned on me. It was the dreaded ball bearings in a paint can CCT failure noise. I headed for the freeway exit ramp and as I slowed the bike stalled. When I tried the starter while still coasting in an effort to make it to city streets the engine would not turn. So...is this usually a total lose, or is it just hung up and could be repaired. I hate to say it but if it's a total lose this is my last envolvement with superhawks.

Sablotny 09-17-2008 08:20 PM

Sorry to hear that. No worse feeling than having your ride go down while riding it. How many miles on your bike? Have you verified that was the deal?

Streaky 09-17-2008 09:28 PM

I wouldn't say total loss.
Take the heads off and see what happened. I know it's a pain, but... worth the effort.

inderocker 09-18-2008 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Streaky (Post 181800)
I wouldn't say total loss.
Take the heads off and see what happened. I know it's a pain, but... worth the effort.

Instead of investing so much time into it, see which cylinder you can get to TDC. The cylinder that you cannot get to TDC is the culprit. Remove it, take some carb cleaner and shoot it down the intake and exhaust tract. Look on the combustion side to see who's leaking... those are your bent valves. Take it to your local shop, have them replace the bent valves. Order up some A.P.E. cct's and never worry about this again.

Cleveland 09-18-2008 05:05 AM

This may be of use to you.. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16159

member here selling an entire engine... low enough price to make it worht a look..

Kendrick 09-18-2008 06:01 AM

I'm not sure what I want to do yet. By the time I fix it the riding season will be over. Right now I'm more interested in unloading so I can get anything to ride the rest of the season. In my world riding is more important than the hawk.

CentralCoaster 09-18-2008 07:23 AM

If you destroyed the engine, why is this your last involvement with superhawks? You know CCT failure was eminent if you've been on here for any amount of time, but you gambled on it. That makes as much sense as dumping your g/f because you got her pregnant after boinking her without protection.

There's a low mile engine for sale for $350 on here. You won't get squat for the bike trying to sell as is.

Kendrick 09-18-2008 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 181838)
If you destroyed the engine, why is this your last involvement with superhawks? You know CCT failure was eminent if you've been on here for any amount of time, but you gambled on it. That makes as much sense as dumping your g/f because you got her pregnant after boinking her without protection.

There's a low mile engine for sale for $350 on here. You won't get squat for the bike trying to sell as is.

Your analogy makes no sense. The bike should have been engineered properly from the factory. In the two years I've had this bike I've had the R/R failure and now the CCT. As an engineer myself it does not make sense to have any devotion to a machine that requires fixing from the factory. Aside from that I haven't decided what to do with the bike.

MisfitToy 09-18-2008 08:46 AM

you could always part it out if you need too. best thing to do if you have an inop vehical and want to get some sort of money back

Erik S. 09-18-2008 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kendrick (Post 181842)
Your analogy makes no sense. The bike should have been engineered properly from the factory. In the two years I've had this bike I've had the R/R failure and now the CCT. As an engineer myself it does not make sense to have any devotion to a machine that requires fixing from the factory. Aside from that I haven't decided what to do with the bike.

As an engineer, you should be able to see that the analogy is perfectly on point.

If it is a known possibility, the pregnancy or cct failure, and you don't take the necessary precautions to avoid the problem, pregnancy or cct failure, then it is a weak or lame move to get rid of it because the possible problem occurred.

You have over 200 posts on this bulletin board, so it should be safe to assume that you have spent an adequate amount of time on this bulletin board, and knew of the possible problems with the motorcycle that you currently own.

So in another analogy, if you had a child with a birth defect (known defect from the factory) would you not try to fix it?

Anyhow, good luck with your choice.

HawkRider98 09-18-2008 09:27 AM

As an engineer you probalbly did your homework before purhcasing and should have known about the "factory defects" before purchasing. Yet you purchased anyway?

Kendrick 09-18-2008 09:44 AM

Wow, rough crowd. Actually i impulse bought the bike. I had read that many people had had no problems with the CCT. In light of that and never having heard any unexpected noises from the bike I did not worry about it. I didn't expect the thing to go from fine to broken in a split second.

Okay continue to post how I should have known better...

Erik S. 09-18-2008 10:02 AM

Rough? perhaps.

Loyal? Definitely!

If you had stated originally that it was an impulse buy, and not gone the "engineer" route, probably would've been a whole different scenario.

My $.02 for what you should do: keep it, fix it, ride it. Unless you ride all year, your season is at the tail end isn't it?

runrowdy 09-18-2008 10:11 AM

What's with all these engineers lately? Shouldn't they be buying BMW's?

lazn 09-18-2008 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by runrowdy (Post 181864)

Engineers, not managers they actually do something, and people who actually do something never get paid what they are worth, it's those sitting around telling them the wrong thing to do that get paid..

SPRHK 09-18-2008 10:25 AM

Rule #1
If it has tits or wheels, it WILL give you problems

Rule #2
If it is something mechanical, It can and will eventually break.

Just a little common sense.

runrowdy 09-18-2008 10:33 AM

LOL Rule #1 is sooo true and common sense has nothing to do with engineers :)

SPRHK 09-18-2008 10:36 AM

AMEN brother!!!!

Kendrick 09-18-2008 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by runrowdy (Post 181864)

BMW's for cars, I prefer more affordable motorcycles as they are much easier to damage. Tip overs, crashes, etc. I've had my share. (Oh yeah and Jeeps for four wheel drive)

Well no matter what I do my season will practically be over before I get it sorted. Once I'm done feeling let down by my bike I'll take it apart and see what's wrong with it. I haven't done much research yet, but do I have to drop the engine if I need to change the valves? If I can leave the engine in for any repairs I'm far more inclined to do them.

And I was only a couple days away of being done working on all my vehicles...

1zeppfan 09-18-2008 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kendrick (Post 181871)
And I was only a couple days away of being done working on all my vehicles...

Taking up walking? :bananadance:

Cleveland 09-18-2008 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kendrick (Post 181858)
Wow, rough crowd. Actually i impulse bought the bike. I had read that many people had had no problems with the CCT. In light of that and never having heard any unexpected noises from the bike I did not worry about it. I didn't expect the thing to go from fine to broken in a split second.

Okay continue to post how I should have known better...

you got to remember this forums is full of people who are passionate about this particular bike...

sassage 09-18-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by runrowdy (Post 181869)
LOL Rule #1 is sooo true and common sense has nothing to do with engineers :)

hey, leave us engineers alone :spank:

PHxS 09-18-2008 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the bumper sticker on my toolbox for all to see. As a mechanic, i've seen a lot of broken/problem items as well as plenty of stories.

Kendrick 09-18-2008 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by sassage (Post 181880)
hey, leave us engineers alone :spank:

Probably the first thing I learned as an engineer is not to bother defending myself. Just ignore them and it will get old after a while. Engineering the most useful and most made fun of profession.:)

Yardstick 09-18-2008 11:46 AM

What are you doing with just one bike anyway? Just buy something else to have fun with while the 'hawk is down. Once the 'hawk is back up and running well you have two bikes to choose from and a spare if one goes down again. Heck, I've got FOUR and I might be adding another this weekend. That'll be five if I can't sell my VTR or XR.

Kendrick 09-18-2008 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yardstick (Post 181888)
What are you doing with just one bike anyway? Just buy something else to have fun with while the 'hawk is down. Once the 'hawk is back up and running well you have two bikes to choose from and a spare if one goes down again. Heck, I've got FOUR and I might be adding another this weekend. That'll be five if I can't sell my VTR or XR.

I know, don't think the tought didn't cross my mind last night. I'm running out of money and garage space though. I might pick up something cheap for the moment just so I don't lose the rest of the season, the problem is it has to be capable of making the 25 mile commute to work.

LineArrayNut 09-18-2008 01:31 PM

How many miles on your 'Hawk?

Originally Posted by Kendrick (Post 181890)
I know, don't think the tought didn't cross my mind last night. I'm running out of money and garage space though. I might pick up something cheap for the moment just so I don't lose the rest of the season, the problem is it has to be capable of making the 25 mile commute to work.

I think what folks are saying is the first time you do any real maintenance on the engine like a valve check or at least by 20K miles some APE manual CCT's need to be on there. That seems to be the consensus of opinion that I've read. Or the first time you hear ANYTHING funny grab some clutch and kill it.

Now, I've got about 5K on an '03 with autos still on it so I'm not trying to rag ya'...

Any 125 or larger dual sport will do 25 miles no problem.

SPRHK 09-18-2008 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kendrick (Post 181885)
Probably the first thing I learned as an engineer is not to bother defending myself. Just ignore them and it will get old after a while. Engineering the most useful and most made fun of profession.:)

Most of the engineers I have met are book smart and common sense stupid...........most of them, not all.

mfast1 09-18-2008 01:47 PM

I get paid to fix engineer's lack of engineering. The bike is a good bike and worth fixing . But to each is own. good luck.

Yardstick 09-18-2008 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mfast1 (Post 181913)
I get paid to fix engineer's lack of engineering. The bike is a good bike and worth fixing . But to each is own. good luck.

Curious what you mean by that dig exactly... being an engineer and all.

Engineers are not above making mistakes, but usually there are enough reviews and analyses performed prior to a production part that you rarely see the effects. Some will seem to slip through the cracks because you can't always predict the way the equipment will get abused.