Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Water Pump Impeller

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
Water Pump Impeller

Has anybody removed a water pump assembly before...? It would not be a normal type of item that would be replaced, but I have a brand new replacement right side engine cover, which does not come with the water pump assembly. I am ordering a new oil seal (for the bearing) and what Honda calls a "Mechanical" seal for the water pump shaft...but the water pump has a ceramic seal that contacts the mechanical seal....which has a line (Crack?) going through it. Is this normal or did the ceramic seal crack when I pressed it out? Take a look at the Pic.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Impeller-imag0136.jpg  
Old 04-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
Has anybody removed a water pump assembly before...? It would not be a normal type of item that would be replaced, but I have a brand new replacement right side engine cover, which does not come with the water pump assembly. I am ordering a new oil seal (for the bearing) and what Honda calls a "Mechanical" seal for the water pump shaft...but the water pump has a ceramic seal that contacts the mechanical seal....which has a line (Crack?) going through it. Is this normal or did the ceramic seal crack when I pressed it out? Take a look at the Pic.
I've done a few dozen.
The ceramic seal in your picture with the crack is no good. Use that and it will leak.
Remember when pressing the impeller back in, you have a very small margin for error on installed depth. Get it wrong and the impeller rubs the case or the cover.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
Thanks E.Marquez. I did not think that was a good sign. Oh well.....that will be a few less drinks that I can have...I guess I might as well join "AA"...