VTR1000Denver Carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

VTR1000Denver is on a distinguished road

Any quick advice ??
My 02 has 16k so I took it n2 dealer for valves and carb ck/adjustments{16k service}
Shops telling me brass on jet leaks r bad and only fix is 2replace carbs. $1,200 parts only.
Doesn't. Make sense. Bike was running gr8.
What's the best fix
Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
The spare carb I bought on ebay was under $100. They generally don't go bad except if someone lets fuel sit in them. You should be able to find one inexpensively from a parts bike.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 AM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

Originally Posted by VTR1000Denver
Any quick advice ??
My 02 has 16k so I took it n2 dealer for valves and carb ck/adjustments{16k service}
Shops telling me brass on jet leaks r bad and only fix is 2replace carbs. $1,200 parts only.
Doesn't. Make sense. Bike was runnig gr8.
What's the best fix
Are there any afteremarket jets I. Can replace stok ones wth. Or any carbs from other bikes that'll. Work with stock bike
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah that doesn't make sense... which jets leak and why? Replacing the whole dang set for a new set sounds like a ridiculously shallow way of saying they have no idea what's wrong so to make sure they get it right you should just buy a new bike. Worst case you can buy used carbs for under $150, but I'd try to see what the actual problem is first.

It may be the case that one of the carb bodies is stripped and leaking out the fuel mixture screw or maybe that they damaged the carb on the inside by the jets. Ask for specifics... or maybe visit a different mechanic. If it turns out to be a carb body, I have a spare I can send over, but you need to know more than just a vague suggestion that one is leaking before you go replacing things.

And for the second question: These jets are Keihin series 21 jets, which are found in many bikes. The 48mm carbs are only on the VTR, but the jets are reasonably common and can usually be found locally at a street or dirtbike store.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Which dealer?
Fay Meyers?
Aurora?
Colorado Powersports?
One of the other smaller ones?

As suggested above...press the service adviser for details.
Specifically, what part(s) is damaged? Ask them to show it to you, take pictures and ask specifically what they are recommending. If I understand your post,, the current shop recommendation is that BOTH carbs need to be replaced as what you have is damaged beyond use?

I suppose that's possible if someone physically damaged them with a botched cleaning, repair or jet / fuel screw install job.. But would need a lot more detailed information to confirm and approve that kind of diagnostic outcome and suggest repair.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 PM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

help!!!
I have 02 vtr1000f with 16,000 miles. Took n for service and dealer says...
My needle jets r bad. So I need new carbs.
Can any1 tell me what carbs are the best to buy.
[Is it best to buy the honda oem? Or is there a better way? ]
Where to get the best price and how much it should cost?
Thanx..
Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Back Marker

bbancsov is on a distinguished road
help!!!
I have 02 vtr1000f with 16,000 miles. Took n for service and dealer says...
My needle jets r bad. So I need new carbs.
Can any1 tell me what carbs are the best to buy.
[Is it best to buy the honda oem? Or is there a better way? ]
Where to get the best price and how much it should cost?
Thanx..
Buy new jets?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bbancsov
Buy new jets?
Needle jets are not technically replaceable on the VTR Keihin carburetors .

I was given two that were custom made.. but no others exist that I know of.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-31-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:56 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Seems odd at such low mileage.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:46 PM
MotoGP

You may want to keep all of your posts in the same thread... it will be easier for others to keep up and not miss anything along the way. It sounds like you talked to the dealer and said you need new needles? Not new mains because they're ovaled or something else?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...30/#post364597
Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 PM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

Sorry I'm still learning to navigate this site.and recovering from a head injury,so if I seem lost..
scuz I am..
Yes I need new carbs.
Need 2know if I shud by from honda $1,200.
Or is there an aftermarket one that's better.
I mostly ride in the mountains at altitudes between 5800 to 7,000 feet above sea level. Near Denver.
If that matters.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Sorry I'm still learning to navigate this site.and recovering from a head injury,so if I seem lost..
scuz I am..
Yes I need new carbs.
Need 2know if I shud by from honda $1,200.
Or is there an aftermarket one that's better.
I mostly ride in the mountains at altitudes between 5800 to 7,000 feet above sea level. Near Denver.
If that matters.
There really is not a bolt on non OEM carb... for this bike.

Why do you need new carbs? Specifically, did the shop say what symptoms or observations they made which led them to you needing new carburetors? and what part(s) are they saying is the cause? .. What is wrong with that part? (worn out past a limit, damaged, corroded, loose, ect)
Did they show you these unserviceable parts or just tell you the carbs are bad?

Last edited by E.Marquez; 11-01-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 AM
MotoGP

No worries on the navigation, just trying to help you out. This forum is relatively small, but also fairly active so posting in multiple locations doesn't necessarily get you views from more people...

You can buy another superhawk for $1200! Please don't spend that just because the somewhat vague shop is telling you to!

1998 Honda VTR1000 VTR 1000F 996 Superhawk Carburetors Carbs | eBay
98 Honda VTR 1000 VTR1000 F Superhawk Carbs Carburetors Set Rack Front Rear | eBay
98 05 Honda VTR1000F VTR1000 VTR 1000 F Super Hawk Carburetors Carburetor Carbs | eBay

It would be nice to diagnose the problem with your carbs, which I'm not convinced we have, but in the even that you're bound and determined to just buy another set, try one of the e-bay ones.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 AM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

They say I need new carbs cuz the small round brass hole,inside the carb. that the needle sits in has worn from vibration. And its pressed n and can't b replaced.
Hence. The Y. In whY they say I need new carbs. Cuz "they say" you can't just replace the brass part.
My fear of buying carbs on ebay is that it may have a problem as well and they're sold as is.
So.
How would u guys go about fixing this.
If I do Need New carbs? What kind works best. How much shud it cost etc...
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

If you point and question is?

That with enough time, money, experience, machine shop, a dyno and wide band Af equipment you can install a carb other than stock.. if so than yes I agree it can be done. Just a matter of disposable cash and lots of it.

If your question is: is there an aftermarket carb that can be bolted on, the answer still is no. (mostly)

Someplace, somewhere there sits a few sets of Keihin Flat side carbs that will bolt on, as they were built and modified to fit this bike. You would still need to tune them for your bike..and I have never heard a good report on rideability with them.. So your guess if they are even usable on the street.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 11-01-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

They say I need new carbs cuz the small round brass hole,inside the carb. that the needle sits in has worn from vibration. And its pressed n and can't b replaced.
Hence. The Y. In whY they say I need new carbs. Cuz "they say" you can't just replace the brass part.
My fear of buying carbs on ebay is that it may have a problem as well and they're sold as is.
So.
How would u guys go about fixing this.
If I do Need New carbs? What kind works best. How much shud it cost etc...

Ok, well that does SOUND like "they" are talking about the needle jet, and yup they are pressed in and not technically replaceable.

I don't think you will find anyone here that has had to replace a set of carbs for this reason though... or at least not one I have read, remember.
Replacement carbs.. OEM is the only thing your going to find, other than some one off, hand built non stock replacements... if you can find um.

Your right to be wary of Ebay carbs...but IF you really do need new ones, that's your choice other then brand new from the OEM.
Attached Thumbnails VTR1000Denver Carb issues-needle-jet.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 11-01-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 AM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
what is your point?

That with enough time, money, experience, machine shop, a dyno and wide band Af equipment you can install a carb other than stock.. if so than yes I agree it can be done. Just a matter of disposable cash and lots of it.

If your question is: is there an aftermarket carb that can be bolted on, the answer still is no. (mostly)

Someplace, somewhere there sits a few sets of Keihin Flat side carbs that will bolt on, as they were built and modified to fit this bike. You would still need to tune them for your bike..and I have never heard a good report on rideability with them.. So your guess if they are even usable on the street.
What is my point?
U asked "specifically,what's wrong wth my carbs and y dealer said I need new carbs?
I don't want to have somthing custom made.
I don't wanna spend $1200 on new carbs
Just wanna know how most of u would resolve this
Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

Ok, well that does SOUND like "they" are talking about the needle jet, and yup they are pressed in and not technically replaceable.

I don't think you will find anyone here that has had to replace a set of carbs for this reason though... or at least not one I have read, remember.
Replacement carbs.. OEM is the only thing your going to find, other than some one off, hand built non stock replacements... if you can find um.

Your right to be wary of Ebay carbs...but IF you really do need new ones, that's your choice other then brand new from the OEM.
That's helpful. Thanx. The pic is exactly what they showed me.
I guess I need to find some carbs from someone who's parting out because of a crash.
Thanx 4 ur help
Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM
MotoGP

You could buy 10 sets of used e-bay carbs and still be under the price of new.

There are people with 80-100K+ miles on their bikes with original carbs. You will want to clean them and go through them, but like marquez said... your problem seems to be unique to your carbs and not something that would scare me away from superhawk carbs in general. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying used carbs over new because the chances that something unfixable is broken in them is so small. You may have to replace a fuel mixture screw or something, but $1200 is so much for 1997 technology in an antiquated bike for a part that has otherwise not had your problem.

I have two carb bodies that I can send your way... I've had them on a bike and running before. Edit: I have to check to see where the TPS attaches. I took them off because this part broke, so they *may* not work.

Or buy this bike and have spare parts for days:
99 honda vtr superhawk

Last edited by 7moore7; 11-01-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

What is my point?
U asked "specifically,what's wrong wth my carbs and y dealer said I need new carbs?
I don't want to have somthing custom made.
I don't wanna spend $1200 on new carbs
Just wanna know how most of u would resolve this
You edited some of your threads, deleting others.. after I started mine Makes it hard to follow when you do that....

After you edited it, your point was clear... How to fix

How would I fix this? If it needs fixing at all (still not convinced, but going on the assumption they need replaced)

I'd be looking for some low mileage ebay carbs. The needle jet wears buy movement of the needle, and vibrations of the needle when it's in the needle jet)
I would hazard a guess, that a lower mileage bike SHOULD have needle jets that are not worn.

Inspection of the needle jet can be done with a magnifying glass.. or inspection camera.

Your looking for a perfectly round hole...
Oval or elongated needle jet hole indicates wear.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 11-01-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

That's helpful. Thanx. The pic is exactly what they showed me.
I guess I need to find some carbs from someone who's parting out because of a crash.
Thanx 4 ur help
What did they say was wrong? IOW, how did they describe the wear?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 AM
VTR1000Denver
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
You could buy 10 sets of used e-bay carbs and still be under the price of new.

There are people with 80-100K+ miles on their bikes with original carbs. You will want to clean them and go through them, but like marquez said... your problem seems to be unique to your carbs and not something that would scare me away from superhawk carbs in general. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying used carbs over new because the chances that something unfixable is broken in them is so small. You may have to replace a fuel mixture screw or something, but $1200 is so much for 1997 technology in an antiquated bike for a part that has otherwise not had your problem.

I have two carb bodies that I can send your way... I've had them on a bike and running before. Edit: I have to check to see where the TPS attaches. I took them off because this part broke, so they *may* not work.

Or buy this bike and have spare parts for days:
99 honda vtr superhawk
Thanx for the knowledge,
And the ebay links..
Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 AM
MotoGP

Unfortunately I don't know any mechanics up there...

In a way, what the dealer said kind of makes sense from their end to replace the whole carb unit. It's much easier on their end just to plug new carbs in (and if you're factoring in labor, it probably counts as an hour or more to put new carb bodies into the carbs). They may also be doing this because if the pilot jets are indeed ovalized, then they are doing their best to avoid this from happening again. Worn needles will damage the jets more than new ones. What they don't know is that this is a very rare problem on this bike so it's not necessarily something they need to spend a lot of energy avoiding.

Also, getting new carbs saves their butt if their diagnosis is wrong. They may have just seen fuel leaking and said "Hey, it's your main jets. Gotta buy new carbs!" Which means that even if the problem is something else like a broken float, they will have fixed it anyway (without correctly figuring out what the problem is).

As a side note, when the AC system stopped working on my old pickup a few years ago, I took it in to a shop and they found a leaky line. They told me that they would have to remove the line, send it to a welder, have him repair it, re-install it and then fill the AC. Total cost would have been like $350 for me. I asked if I could just grab one at a junkyard and install it myself, and they said something along the lines of "good luck finding that... you're on your own, but I suppose that would work". It was in the first junkyard I went to for $15 and I just had to have them fill the system. The mechanics may actually know how to fix things, but sometimes they don't pick the path of least resistance (financial or otherwise). Their idea wasn't *wrong*, but it was certainly wasn't the best way...
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

MOD EDIT: Moved users posts to this new thread so all info was in the same place, and not in the wrong forums mixed up in other threads.