Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

vtr slugging on takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Squid

MP660 is on a distinguished road
vtr slugging on takeoff

hey people, I've haven't posted here before, but I have read a fair amount and I really appreciate the CCT reviews and tutorials. I've ridden a 98 VTR for a couple years now, but now after it sat for most of winter between oct-mar, the bike feels a little sluggish upon take off up until 3-4,000 rpm. Power doesn't really kick in until that engine speed anyway, but I do feel a noticeable reduction in output than how it used to pull. Any ideas?

I was thinking of running some fuel booster through a couple tanks of gas, but I do hear the clicking sound on the valves, possibly a loose CCT, still need to replace them with the manuals. Could the chain have slipped a tooth on the cam to screw up the valve timing and cause it to lug? Sorry, I am not mechanically savvy at all, but any idea of where I should start?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
The gas in your carbs started to varnish. The only way to solve this properly is to have you carbs cleaned out. The fuel additive might help, or may solve it, but it is unlikely. Your symptons point to clogged pilot jets. You should be able to ride all day betweem 3-4k, although it would not be as much fun.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Squid

ok thank you i'll look into that. i should have started it more
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by MP660
ok thank you i'll look into that. i should have started it more
if you know that it will be sitting for a long time, put some gas stabilizer in the gas tank too.

Last edited by residentg; 04-22-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
if it is not super bad yet, I have had good results with sea foam. I don't know if that was what you meant about booster. If the sea foam doesn't fix it you will need to pull the carbs and clean the hard way.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
+1 sea foam
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
I agree with resident. If seafoam doesn't work clean the carbs. Use carb cleaner and compressed air. Pay particular attention to the emulsion tubes and the jets. Also, ensure you don't mix them up since they are different on the front and rear carbs. Don't worry about lack of mechanical ability. Until last week, I never touched carbs. Now I could pull 'em apart in my sleep. Haha. That's what happens when you have to try about 20 configurations before you finally solve your tuning issues. How 'bout it Nate?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Squid

the seafoam seems to be working little by little, but i plan to run 4 or 5 tanks of gas with it, i figure the more ran through the carbs the better. thanks for all the feedback though
Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by MP660
the seafoam seems to be working little by little, but i plan to run 4 or 5 tanks of gas with it, i figure the more ran through the carbs the better. thanks for all the feedback though
Letting it sit with Seafoamed gas in the float bowls will help too. It is a matter of time, not miles in this case.