Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Valve train noise??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Squid

greenwood98sh is on a distinguished road
Valve train noise??

Hey everybody I am new to this site and to the superhawk ia have a question i just had the valves adjusted at the dealer and frount cyclinders intake valves were the only ones out of wack. but when i picked the bike back up and started it up it still makes the ticking sound and its more noticieable on take off is this a normal sound because the dealer said that everything checked out and there was nothing else wrong i have a 98 Sh with 29000 miles on it any input would be great i have owned 4cylinder bikes in the past this is the first vtwin
Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Look here...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=19163
Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Ottawa, Ont.
Squid

Riff is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by greenwood98sh
...and frount cyclinders intake valves were the only ones out of wack...
Do you know if they had to increase or decrease the clearance? Judging by the louder ticking you hear I suspect they decreased the shims to increase the clearance. This will result in more noticeable ticking as the cams now clear the buckets a little more and contact a little later with a bit more of a "slap".

Without having heard your engine for myself it is a little tough to diagnose, but the intuitive answer is not to worry about it.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:03 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
It sure sounds like they hosed up something. After setting valve clearance I've had noises from the valve train. Maybe it's not the valves but rather something else? If they knocked off a PAIR hose it would make a ticking sound. I'll give it a good once-over and see what you can find.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
The smartest race mechanic I ever knew ( my honda Idol ) Billy Orr , showed me whats up with valves way back in my early days.
When they are set right, they wont be tight, they will actually be a little loose.
And if you do all 16 valves right ( 8 in our case ) you wont be able to hear any single valves ticking, as each ones slight tick blends into the others to make a "whirring" sound much like a turbo.
Very few shops actually do valve adjustments right, especially on shim-under-bucket motors.
Billy told me the secret to getting them right... repeat the cycle 3 times !
Yes its like 3 times the work, but you have to do it.
Once you think youre done, start over.
Check them again after spinning the starter motor a few seconds with the kill switch on.
this seats the buckets and allows a more accurrate measurement.
Pull your cams and loosen any tight valves, and tighten up any loosies.
Spin motor over 5 seconds with starter, and repeat.
Only when you have done this a couple times can you know you got all the slop out of the settings.
Most modern honda techs in the shops are about the money and could care less about such precision. So your bike sounds less than perfect after they adjust your valves.
Its not a bad thing as they hopefully found any tight valves.
But if its perfect, and he took the time, It really does whizz like a turbo when you rev it up.
mine does.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
The smartest race mechanic I ever knew ( my honda Idol ) Billy Orr , showed me whats up with valves way back in my early days.
When they are set right, they wont be tight, they will actually be a little loose.
And if you do all 16 valves right ( 8 in our case ) you wont be able to hear any single valves ticking, as each ones slight tick blends into the others to make a "whirring" sound much like a turbo.
Very few shops actually do valve adjustments right, especially on shim-under-bucket motors.
Check them again after spinning the starter motor a few seconds with the kill switch on.
Only when you have done this a couple times can you know you got all the slop out of the settings.
Most modern honda techs in the shops are about the money and could care less about such precision. So your bike sounds less than perfect after they adjust your valves.
But if its perfect, and he took the time, It really does whizz like a turbo when you rev it up.
mine does.
That's pretty cool Burner, thanks for the knowledge man!

Oh, and Greenwoody, these guys will help you get it sorted...
Old 06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Only VTR's
Squid

dvwalker is on a distinguished road
I had the very same thing happen on my 98 SH right around 29k. Well I parked if for about a month and started researching what it could be. Turned out the problem was the CCT's were going bad. Trade in your POS Auto CCT's in for a set of manual CCT's. Once I did that, she now runs quieter then when I bought her. There is a Sticky in the "Classified" section. E-mail Truckintuc. Thats where I bought mine and the one's he sells are much better and cheap priced then anywhere I could find. If I were a gambling man I would start there first. It's only $85 bucks and you will want to replace them anyway just for the peace of mind.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
mine does.

Thanks!

I had already figured on doing it twice... Not because of any particular knowledge or advice, but because I'm kind of **** and prefer to check myself...

But once this comes up for me I'll o the starter engine run and check them a couple of more times... If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right...