Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Troubleshooting start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 12:50 PM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Troubleshooting start up

I had a full line leak that I found and fixed. After putting it back together, it ran and idles. Put it up for the night. The next morning there was fuel on the ground. Back apart. Rechecked any line that carried fuel and retightened everything. Started up and it ran fine. Next weekend, took it out and started it. Oil poured out around the front of the engine. Opened back up. Looks like the oil came from the front cylinder breather tube running to the air filter. Ok I thought, maybe I did not have the tubes seated into the air filter all the way. Put it back together and started it. It began pouring out blue smoke from both tail pipes. It ran for about 30 seconds under a lot of throttle then quit. I left it for about an hour and when I returned the tray I had under it had some oil in it. Seems to have come from the front cylinder area again. This time, it won’t start. My son says clean the plugs and try again. Ideas anyone?
Old 04-26-2021, 04:22 AM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Check your oil level, you may have fuel leaking past the petcock and a float bowl in the a carb and filling up the crankcase.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:09 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I agree^. This has happened before, not to me. If your float valve(s) stick open, it can drain fuel into the crankcase. First thing, make sure your carbs aren't leaking fuel. Next check the oil level and see if its overfull or smells like gas. If so, drain!
Old 04-29-2021, 04:10 PM
MotoGP

Don't keep cranking till you know for sure you don't have gas in the oil.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:53 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
You are correct...now what?

I dumped the oil and it defiantly had gas in it. I pulled the carbs and the floats were not stuck. The carbs did have gas sitting in them. So, is there something typical to look for or at with the petcock. I've had it off once before and I did one of those rebuild kits on it. Worked fine afterwards but who knows. I like keeping things stock but would love to do a bypass of it and just have an on / off valve. That is so much simpler. Anyway, ideas for what I should do with the petcock?
Old 06-23-2021, 03:23 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Saw in a previous post that you had the carbs off, and had, ahem, issues getting them back on. I might suggest that you take another look at your installation.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

Disconnect the fuel lines going into the carbs. Then apply vacuum to the petcock to simulate cranking, and look for flow out those lines (catch it in a bottle or similar).

I'd get oem parts to rebuild the petcock if I were in your shoes, assuming it needs redone. Those chinese mostly don't make quality parts and they are very inconsistent.

And those float needles are suspect if the case is fill of gas. I hope you didn't do any damage running with an overfilled case!