Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

is it normal for the hawk to sweat oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
is it normal for the hawk to sweat oil?

So we are in an apartment for a few months until we close on our home. Meanwhile the hawk is under the cover sitting in the hot parking lot. I ride the hawk about 3-4 times a week to work so it isn't just sitting all the time. Today I noticed a little puddle under it and thought it might be leaking oil, as I changed the oil a few weeks ago and thought maybe i didn't get the filter tight enough. Pulled off the bottom cover and saw the oil or what seemed like oil coming out one of the rubber hoses. The bike is sitting on the kick stand and it is in the 90's with 100% humidity. Not sure if this is just oil/fluid stuck in the vacuum lines or what and fumes pushing it out. It didn't have any oil coming from anywhere else after looking the engine over. So is it normal for the hawk to sweat oil?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
No it should not leak, because it sat. Clean everything up.. See if you can locate the leak.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
No it shouldn't leak, so it is time to clean everything carefully, and look for the source.

My guess is that the rubber hose you are looking at is the fuel tank breather, and what you are seeing is fuel residue. I have the same problem with my VFR800, and it seems the hot weather (only when it was parked in the heat like yours) causes this problem. Part of the fuel blend must be condensing in the hose and dripping out. It looks just like oil. As soon as the weather cooled off a bit it stopped.

I figured I may have had some bad fuel, or a particular brand was causing it, but nothing I did would stop it.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Well it should not be leaking oil out of any breather... Is it possible it's over filled with oil?
And the comment about maybe being fuel is a good idea, also maybe it's just crying because it's never sat outside... I would give the guy you bought it from hell...
Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

It's probably just gas. Nothing to worry about most likely, since it's sitting outside. My buddy's gsxr leaks gas out the hose all the time after it sits in the sun. Hot cold hot cold hot cold - that'll do it. Most likely not oil in your case. But check it anyway.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

Originally Posted by Ohio Hawk
Well it should not be leaking oil out of any breather... Is it possible it's over filled with oil?
And the comment about maybe being fuel is a good idea, also maybe it's just crying because it's never sat outside... I would give the guy you bought it from hell...
Yeah I'm guessing it is residue from the gas breather. After thinking about it I did see clear fumes like from fuel evaporating.

The guy I bought it from took great care of the bike. I hope the it can hang on for four more weeks. Then she'll have her own spot in the garage. Pampered I tell ya.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
No problem. I know it drove me crazy until I figured out it was just temp related. That residue sure does look like oil though doesn't it?!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
i recently found leakage comming from my oil seal at the output shaft. (front Sprocket) 2 drips after every ride.. i ordered a new seal today..
Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

Yeah i thought it might have been something like that but I took all the covers off and cleaned with a rag and reinspected. No leaks anywhere. This morning when I left for work I realized the tank was completely full before I parked it for the weekend. Hence the runoff from the excessive heat. Otherwise it never leaks a drop.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
My bike does the exact same thing, I feel relieved that others have posted it as a semi normal issue!