Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tracking a Chicken

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Ohlins supplies springs and valves, but not as a kit... You pick the generic parts and build it... Ie you need to know exactly what you are doing... And the price is similar to what Racetech offers...
Old 09-06-2011, 05:53 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com

My bike handles great with ohlins rear shock and front end re-sprung and re-valved.

Do ohlins actually make a kit for our front forks? Springs? or valves?

Also for serious track work a slight front brake upgrade helps! Plus having a spare can of gas! I use two full tanks of gas on a regular trackday with the superhawk.
No Doubt on the gas, i usually get about 75 miles a tank on the track!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Ohlins supplies springs and valves, but not as a kit... You pick the generic parts and build it... Ie you need to know exactly what you are doing... And the price is similar to what Racetech offers...
The reason I asked was because when I brought the bike the reciept for the front end work from Dan Kyle racing said ohlins front fork R&R $850!
Yet I never saw any kit from Ohlins? I was just curious, although whatever Dan did to front end seriously works good!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well at that price and from Dan, you have a set of Ohlins valves in there.....
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
yeah, i would DEFINITELY get some issues addressed with the suspension, and possibly brakes before getting serious at the track on the superhawk. if its your first couple of times, no big deal at all.

to tell the truth, ive not ridden the SH at the track yet, but i have my rc51, and my 07 600rr both very extensively. the rc51 was a huge improvement over the superhawk in stability as far as cornering goes. very solid feeling. the 600rr was an even greater improvement. what i realized though, the rc51 despite being solid, was not as compliant as the 600rr.

now to revisit the superhawk, it possesses neither stability nor compliance in much quantity in stock form. you could get it around a track, definitely. but like others have echoed, carrying any sort of speed needs that issue to be sorted out.

sounds ominous right? again, stock components on my bike, and its a 98...technology has come a long way. HOWEVER, i think it would be a frickin FUN bike to hustle around the track once the suspension and brakes are sorted it. it turns quick, it feels light, and its inviting to ride (complete opposite of the rc51). yet it has a FAT torque band, which makes dicing it up with your buddies all that more fun.