General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

new appreciation for the hawk after tracking a CBR

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
new appreciation for the hawk after tracking a CBR

I picked up a cheap, already race-prepared, CBR600RR so that I don't wreck my daily use vehicle (the SH) doing track days and racing...my first day out on the bike made me realize just how forgiving to ride the SH really is.

More than a few times I didn't get the revs up fast enough braking and the bike chattered horribly on me ruining my corner entry, and yes the CBR handles better...it ought to, being probably 80 lbs lighter than my hawk is in race trim...but the hawk is much easier to ride.

Also I can't imagine wanting to have a four cylinder bike on the street...this was my first time really riding one and I definitely prefer the v-twin for off-track use.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
a four-cylinder 600 is a peaky engine, it has to be to get the kind of power (specific output at or over 200 hp/L). Undoubtedly, it will be less forgiving on the street (indeed, anywhere). This has nothing to do with it being a four-cylinder and everything to do with its state of tune. A full-fledged supersport literbike (slightly milder state of tune than a 600, with more displacement) will show the VTR its taillight from virtually any rpm and/or speed, despite being an I4.....
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Superstock

sorry, when I say "first day out", I mean...first track day, the CBR is not legal for street use and has no lights or wiring for lights.

I'm sure what you're saying about superbikes is true, never ridden a 1000cc I4 myself though.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Yes the VTR does make an awesome all around bike.

I had a similar comparison after taking my Superhawk to the track a few times with stock suspension, then I acquired a 1992 FZR600 in race trim. Wow what a difference tight and stable suspension makes.

I was much faster and smoother on the FZR despite being down on power and torque.

I've raced with a more well setup VTR in WERA at Summit Main last year. It pulled out of corners good but I was able to out corner it and stay in front after passing it.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blamecanada

Also I can't imagine wanting to have a four cylinder bike on the street...this was my first time really riding one and I definitely prefer the v-twin for off-track use.
Couldn't agree more! After owning a ZX-6 waayyyy back in '91, I'll probably never go back. My nephew just picked up an 07 cbr6rr and I'd like to give it a go just for ***** and giggles. I remember having to drop down several gears when I want to blast. Very narrow power band!! The twin is where it's at for me. Low down grunt = instant grin!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
I had a similar comparison after taking my Superhawk to the track a few times with stock suspension
I don't think I would want to track a stock SH...I had the forks revalved on mine and got the modified shock from JD...its like a different bike.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blamecanada
More than a few times I didn't get the revs up fast enough braking and the bike chattered horribly on me ruining my corner entry
Something is not right, you should not be getting chatter at a track day pace. Have you had a the suspension tuned and set up to your weight?

On a second read it sounds like your not matching revs while downshifting and braking. Is that correct? If thats the case then you simply need to use the clutch more or with more finesse.

Last edited by jay956; 04-30-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by jay956
Something is not right, you should not be getting chatter at a track day pace. Have you had a the suspension tuned and set up to your weight?

On a second read it sounds like your not matching revs while downshifting and braking. Is that correct? If thats the case then you simply need to use the clutch more or with more finesse.
I used to match revs while down shifting but I went to the pridmore school and they said I shouldn't do that, I should be using the clutch with finesse and without matching revs to engine brake the rear...but yes you are correct, thats what I was trying to say...I was doing a shitty job downshifting quick enough while braking (waiting too long to start the downshift) and the revs were dropping out of the ideal zone for the bike.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'track day pace'...when I'm on the track in the bike or car racing or just practicing I am going to move my braking marker continually farther and farther into the turn...if I wanted to coast there is always pacific coast highway.

also the bike is setup for my weight, the previous owner was the same size as me and was racing it in supersport class with some success.

Last edited by blamecanada; 04-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I had a little chatter on my 1st TD with the SH. went from a cable clutch I4, to the SH.
had a little adjusting to do.

I got smoother as the day went on.

I also got a bit of chatter/squeal with the XX, too. hard on the brakes also added light braking with the linking to the rear, then add a downshift and no blip = chatter. I never got smooth with it, so the corner workers just got used to hearing me coming.

the SH is nice at the track. forgiving, torque, sound....3 fun thumbs up!