Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tire thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, I can tell you from talking to one of the tech guys at Michelin here in Sweden that he's full of it... The rubber compound is completely different, it's not the same mixture in any way...

Now the actual hardness of the compound might be the same or at least very close, on medium vs medium, that I never asked, but I'm guessing that should be true...

BTW regarding your pressure... 28 is TOO LOW, your tire is eating itself... The guy told me that on most tracks he'd recommend 32-36 for the rear... On a few 30... Never below that... For street riding, he suggested adding around 4-6 psi ie high 30's to low 40's... I'm running 40 rear now and 35 front... A bit lower than the spec sheet recommendation, but seems to work...
You're right, 28 is too low for the rear. I always push down on the tires before I ride and i get too much flex on the rear at 28lbs. Sometimes I don't learn fast. haha. I jumped it up to 34lbs cold and much better. 34 turns into 38-40 pretty quickly when warmed up and so I'm feeling happy with that for now. I've been running 28-30psi front and when I push down, it's hard, and it's showing relatively little wear at 3500 miles, and it grips well despite heavy trail braking(so far that is, haha). Must be the comparatively narrow rim/tread. Dunlop Q2s.

Please measure your pure across the tread arc and let me know mms if you get time. thanx.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... Next time I'm wrenching I will do that... Right now though I'm having to much fun playing... I think I finally have my bike dialed in to where I want it...
Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 AM
MotoGP

Well... Next time I'm wrenching I will do that... Right now though I'm having to much fun playing... I think I finally have my bike dialed in to where I want it...

dialed in for sure, and those light tires have to be a major attribute to the equation. hey, don't go to any trouble, just put a rule across the rear tire and let me know the mm when you get a minute.

relative to tire companies, i believe trying to get the compound info is like trying to get the cook to reveal her best recipies. Who knows what the hell they're puttin in these things except the cooks in the kitchen and the engineers specifying the mix.

My feelings are that when they say medium compound, it is not a constant among various models, but a relative designation for public consumption only. I don't believe that they want to commit to saying a street sport tire has a hard compound(as they do for race tires) for liability reasons. At least if we had all the specs/dimensions, we could draw more perceptive conclusions to help us figure out what's going on a little better before buying.

Oversimplification: In terms of pressure, I believe pressure recommendations are largely based on load ratings (in relation to speed and other forces of course), i.e., potential weight of bike, rider, passenger, and cargo, and i'm at 175 and these load ratings far surpass my combined weight. Therefore, manufacturer recommendations error on the side of overinflation. I start from the other end of the spectrum and therefore tend to error on the side of less pressure. The tires function as components of the suspension in that they absorb road imperfections/irregularities, and thus can improve grip, help stabilize suspension, reduce vibrations, and improve comfort/ride quality, or with too much pressure the opposites of these.

What i've learned thus far with the Q2s, is that 28-30 is plenty for the front and 32-34 is good for the rear. You are right that 28 for the rear is a little too low for the street, and it took me longer than it should have to realize that, but at least it handled great and rode smoothly. Hahaha. On hot days, the lighter pressures and for cold days the higher and for real cold a couple higher yet. that's my story anyway.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I just got a pair of Bridgestone BT 016's yesterday, and I thought I'd post my impressions so far. This is after 2+ runs (I did my favorite part 4 times) on my favorite canyon road, and a total of 204 miles.

I've been running Qualifiers (1st generation) for the last 34,000 miles...5 rears, 3 fronts. My old front was really badly worn (triangle effect) for good cornering, so I know anything would have been a huge improvement, and I've always noticed much better handling with new front and rear installed at the same time. Even still, what I noticed right away was much quicker tip-in when cornering, and easier mid corner corrections for rocks, etc. I also felt more confident at maximum (for me) lean than with the 1st generation Qualifiers. I realize the Q2's probably have similar characteristics with the steeper tread profile, but they're a little more pricey.

I measured the width of my old Qualifier rear, and the BT 016 is the same width, 7 13/32".

The only downside is slight roughness cruising on straightline pavement at 40 to 50 or so mph. I'm sure this is due to the BT 016 having a steel belt versus the Qualifier's fabric belt. That also accounts for the Qualifier's lighter weight.

One thing I do know is that I'll never try to stretch 1 front to 2 rears again. It just doesn't pay off when it comes to fun factor.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Squid

colinlinz is on a distinguished road
I haven't used Dunlop for a long time. I've used mainly Michelin's over the last decade or so. Mainly Hisports early on, then the Pilot Powers when they came onto the market. I then changed to a sports/touring tyre, the Bridgestone BT020's. I hated them. The feedback just wasn't what I like. As for traction, they weren't too bad on the road, but overheated badly on the track. Then I went to Pirelli Diablo's. I've been very happy with them, but they are in need of replacing now. I'm thinking of trying the Dunlop Q2's, it sounds like they have solved the inconsistent production problems they had with the older Qualifiers.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I measured the width of my old Qualifier rear, and the BT 016 is the same width, 7 13/32".

The only downside is slight roughness cruising on straightline pavement at 40 to 50 or so mph. I'm sure this is due to the BT 016 having a steel belt versus the Qualifier's fabric belt. That also accounts for the Qualifier's lighter weight.

One thing I do know is that I'll never try to stretch 1 front to 2 rears again. It just doesn't pay off when it comes to fun factor.
what is the measurement if you lay the rule on the tread from edge to edge including the arc?

If you're running max pressure, it will be rough.

Last edited by nath981; 07-16-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
what is the measurement if you lay the rule on the tread from edge to edge including the arc?

If you're running max pressure, it will be rough.
Nath, I'll check it in the morning. But the BT 016 has an installed profile much steeper than the 1st gen Qualifier (as does the Q2). It really does instill confidence, knowing that you have a wider contact patch at full lean.

And I'm running 38 in the rear. I ran 35 in my rear Qualifier, installed last November, and I didn't notice any difference canyon riding. But that was Winter (yes we do have Winter here in SoCal, daytime highs can get into the low 50's). There's no problem getting the tire warmed up quickly this time of year. It was over 100 for my new tire break-in runs yesterday and today. I had much more fun after washing the tire mounting lube off this morning though. Yesterdays break-in canyon run was straight from the dealer...easy does it.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:42 AM
MotoGP

thanks VTR. All i'm trying to do is find out what's going on with these tires in terms of tread width of arc and I'm not having much luck so far.

1)180x55 BTO-14 is approx. 220mm
2)present Q2 180x55 is approx 240mm
3)and previous 190x50 BTO16 was about 240mm also.

relative to the above, #1 was or is the norm, #3 is understandably wider, but #2 is a bit baffling to me because it's as wide as the 190 BTO-16. Is the Q2(i.e., extra wide steeper arc the new standard for all the sport tires or is the Q2 an anomoly?

By the way, did you weigh your rear BTO? Is it a 180?

I did finally figure out that 28psi for the rear was a little to low for the BTO and the present Q2. Jumped it up to 36 and found that to be too much for my tastes, now at 32-34 cold, depending on how hot it is when I take off.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 AM
MotoGP

Mine's a 180. I measured the tread arc, and as close as I can get it, it's 9 1/16". As I'm sure you know 180 is the section width in mm, measured when installed on the correct size rim, and it seems to vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer even on automotive tires. The actual tread "width", measuring across the surface of the tread, will of course vary depending on the steepness of the arc. The Q2 does appear to have a steeper arc to me. But the BT 016 has a steeper arc than the 1st generation Qualifier. A good compromise for my liking, since I don't ride on the track.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Squid

seanvtr is on a distinguished road
Naa, naa naah... You still have a visible chicken strip... Go out again and practice more...:rotfl:

Seriously though, nath is right... If you can run the pace to make a tire look like that with a zx10r on the street, you should get on a track... Much less moving obstacles to contend with...
i think youl find i get to the edge if you look closely, i just dont open the throttle til i tart to pick her up

back last 600 miles and front last 700, which is why i have bought the vtr..... steady me up a little, pluss i hang off like a focused baboon so dont need to put her on her side
Old 07-18-2010, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Mine's a 180. I measured the tread arc, and as close as I can get it, it's 9 1/16". As I'm sure you know 180 is the section width in mm, measured when installed on the correct size rim, and it seems to vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer even on automotive tires. The actual tread "width", measuring across the surface of the tread, will of course vary depending on the steepness of the arc. The Q2 does appear to have a steeper arc to me. But the BT 016 has a steeper arc than the 1st generation Qualifier. A good compromise for my liking, since I don't ride on the track.
thanks for the measurement VTR.

9 1/16" is approx. 230 mm, which is interesting. It's looks like the old version of the 180x55 has been replaced by a newer version with a steeper arc, thus the difference from 220mm to 230mm. The Q2 being one exception so far being 240mm for a 180x55.

I'm getting to the end of my Q2(4000mi so far) and I still have a 1/4" chicken strip. So far it's been grippy with good feedback. I'm still trying to get Tweety to measure his power pure to see if it concurs with your BT0-16 or follows the Q2 route.

thanks again, nathan

you didn't weigh or know the weight of your BTO-16 I'm assuming?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Sanely riding since 1975!
Squid

Travelinguy1960 is on a distinguished road
Late to the party

Originally Posted by swordfish
wow, I can't believe I'm the first one to chime in about michelines. pilot power 2ct's rock. I'm on my second set now. my first set saw 2 track days spaced a year apart, and did road duty in between. when I took them off, they still had plenty of meat left. I needed new tires for this year's trackday because the old ones had simply gone through too many heat cycles. but if it were just street riding, I'd still have lots of miles left on the old ones. best tire I've ever had.
----
Late to the party, but maybe a useful update.
I am running Pilot Pure's.
Love them, keep them at 36/42 in cold Seattle and I weigh 155.
As far as wear, great at 3000 so far, but these are radials and you still have to have enough air in the tire to force the middle out. It is the farthest from the center of the rim and eats psi causing middle wear.
I know the fad is to run them soft and squishy, but physics demands some serious psi or they will burn up.
Nevertheless, all new radials today last minimum 1500 miles longer than the standard ply tires available in say 1979.
Best,
Gunny
Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Travelinguy1960
----
Late to the party, but maybe a useful update.
I am running Pilot Pure's.
Love them, keep them at 36/42 in cold Seattle and I weigh 155.
As far as wear, great at 3000 so far, but these are radials and you still have to have enough air in the tire to force the middle out. It is the farthest from the center of the rim and eats psi causing middle wear.
I know the fad is to run them soft and squishy, but physics demands some serious psi or they will burn up.
Nevertheless, all new radials today last minimum 1500 miles longer than the standard ply tires available in say 1979.
Best,
Gunny
you may be correct, but 36/42 seems a bit much in light of how much pressure increases when the tire heat heat up, e.g., 40/46, and in light of michelin's own info presented in the chart linked below. I have to take issue with the notion of a fad thing since I have done my own homework and believe that others have done likewise. That said, I am admittedly more interested in feel and traction than mileage, albeit it wouldn't break my heart to have them last longer.

I believe the 36/42 thing is more a bike manufacturer "cover-your-***" type thing, one which the tire manufacturers are reluctant to openly contest.

190/55 Mich Pure's on 5.5in Wheel - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
well dern from all I am reading so far this makes me look like I must be more aggresive than most here (and I find that hard to believe being this is my first sportbike). However I have used dunlops on both sets , the last set was the q2's and they have both worn out at 2500 miles. the rears wear out on the middles the fronts wear out to the point of v ing and this mileage trust me is to the point where the tires are showing no tread and the white undermeat is visable. looking at getting michilen pilot 3's next due to they say these last longer. Sick of spending big bucks for so little miles on tires. Oh and I only weigh 165lbs. tire pressures are cold 32 / 34 and I do about 50/50 twisty and highways and ride all year long. oh and chicken strips are about 1/2" on both sides. Oh and I do run these twisty roads most times around 80-100mph and yes I have (shudder ) lol run over 150+ on straights "on occasions" . my bad I know but was testing the hawk out.

Last edited by wsharpman; 02-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
I too run like that on the street. My friend hits 180mph on his S100RR. All on two lane, no shoulder roads lined with trees and barbed wire. We don't have tracks out here so its all hill country roads. We have encountered some crazy stuff around corners like horses, deer, dead bikers. My Continentals handle it well.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by wsharpman
well dern from all I am reading so far this makes me look like I must be more aggresive than most here (and I find that hard to believe being this is my first sportbike). However I have used dunlops on both sets , the last set was the q2's and they have both worn out at 2500 miles. the rears wear out on the middles the fronts wear out to the point of v ing and this mileage trust me is to the point where the tires are showing no tread and the white undermeat is visable. looking at getting michilen pilot 3's next due to they say these last longer. Sick of spending big bucks for so little miles on tires. Oh and I only weigh 165lbs. tire pressures are cold 32 / 34 and I do about 50/50 twisty and highways and ride all year long. oh and chicken strips are about 1/2" on both sides. Oh and I do run these twisty roads most times around 80-100mph and yes I have (shudder ) lol run over 150+ on straights "on occasions" . my bad I know but was testing the hawk out.
well dern, my self-descriptor is aggression with descretion, and yours is perhaps the same without the discretion part.haha....I believe though that 50/50 highways/twisties may contribute to your poor mileage. Once the middle flattens with these softies, it's all downhill from there(like gravity and increasing speed). I usually leave my house and return with nary a straight road, signal light and only a few stop signs because i can and because I obsessively protect my middles so the tires will wear as even as possible(90/10, esses/straights).

Running 50/50, you need hard centers to get any mileage but i believe they cost more, but will be more practical for your use.

a 190/55 goes around fewer times due to increased diameter, but only the dunlop works well on the 5.5" rim in my experience. Oh, that brings up a possibility that may work for you, dunlop's hard center tire 190/55 Streetsmart.Give it a look. Maybe I'll try a set of these next if they have a profile similar to the Q2 190s.

500miles-190x55-Q2 5.5-rim

mich power pure, 4400miles

Last edited by nath981; 02-29-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
yep nath , that tire looks just like mine. lol cvept the part where you got 4400miles out of it, mine only 2500. let me ask you what sacrifice will I be making if I went to a 190 as apposed to a 180? do like the idea of harder middle section though (that is if it actually is harder ) you know how they are in statements about tire composition one is harder than another when in reality they actually are the same. If there ever was a bike built to test tires its the superhawk.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
yep nath , that tire looks just like mine. lol cvept the part where you got 4400miles out of it, mine only 2500. let me ask you what sacrifice will I be making if I went to a 190 as apposed to a 180? do like the idea of harder middle section though (that is if it actually is harder ) you know how they are in statements about tire composition one is harder than another when in reality they actually are the same. If there ever was a bike built to test tires its the superhawk.
Surprised nobody has mentioned these, a lot of people I sold them to won't buy anything else now. I had guys on heavier bikes like FJR's and Busa's getting 10,000+ miles! They all said they loved the way they performed as well, I never tried them because I used to do a lot of track days but a friend of mine who races put them on his R1 and he said they handle all he wants to through at them on the street. Here's a great price for a combo set.
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...D-3-TIRE-COMBO

Last edited by superhawk22; 02-29-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mattijw
If weight's a big issue you might also want to check out the new michelin Power Pure, it's also dual compound and they have been touting it's LTT (light tyre technology) its apparently lighter than all rivals. Just in case you didn't have enough options!

MICHELIN POWER PURE | Road Bike Tyres | MICHELIN
Funny thing is, we weighed a set at work once, they weighed the same as the 2ct did!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

I think for 50/50straight/curves, hard centers may be the way to go because like i said, once the center goes, the tire goes to hell faster. If you don't mind the *** end being up a 1/2" and a hair less torque, the 190x55 dunlop roadsmart seems a good choice, that is if it's the same tread profile across the arc as the Q2. I can't speak to this aspect because I have never seen one first hand. ( I like the higher *** and lowered front for the SH because it seems to improve the geometry for turns and transitions and doesn't adversely affect high speed stability. )

If you're going 180x55, the pilot road 3 or the dunlop roadsmart II seem like good choices. Do not put a 190 mich or Bridgestone on a 5.5 in rim because neither are good matches and i couldn't wait to get them off; to the contrary however, the dunlop 190 is an awesome on the 5.5" rim.

Last edited by nath981; 02-29-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
My bike at 5400 miles still has the stock front on it (cupped, and ready to go anytime, haha), but the rear was changed out not too long ago. I'm putting on my usual Mich. PP 2CT in the front, and then snag a reg. PP for the rear at some point soon. I'm had the PP on most of my bikes the last 6 years with great success. Sportbike track gear has deals like $215 shipped for both F & R.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Kelevra
My bike at 5400 miles still has the stock front on it (cupped, and ready to go anytime, haha),
I thought that was cool too, but it ended up costing me a bike and all my gear, and if opposing traffic had been there when that tire lost traction. I would have been toast too. Never again will I overuse a front tire. Get that bitch off there now.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
I thought that was cool too, but it ended up costing me a bike and all my gear, and if opposing traffic had been there when that tire lost traction. I would have been toast too. Never again will I overuse a front tire. Get that bitch off there now.
Ya, I hear you. I bought the bike a week ago, so I'm changing out the tire in the next few days. I'm had my fair share of get-offs on and off the track, so I know what you mean..
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Squid

crow is on a distinguished road
pilot powers have done good for me
Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
PP's on mine too. Like them very much. First set so can't comment on lifespan yet.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
I had a m1 full bore rear on last year and got about 9000 out of it. Rather impressed with it but it cut my season short when the cords started showing in september. Just put a Michelin Pilot Road 3 on it 2 weeks ago and expect a lot of miles out of it. Pilot Road on front...went all year last year and lots still left. I expect it to last all this year also.

I expect to ride about 10000 miles per year and I would be extremely dissapointed if I had to replace my tire more than once per year especially at the prices they are.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Pilot Road 3's for commuting/canyons
Dunlop Q2 for track
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
I personally ran the battlax 016 front and rear and while they did grip fine they lasted me only 4000 miles and that was pushing it. Its not a good 50/50 tire in my opinion. I did alot of research and ended up going with the bt023.
Its basically the same tire compound as the 016 on the sides but a harder center. I really like the rear tire so far after 2000 miles on it. It doesnt show hardly any wear. It grips fine too. Plus its a good wet weather tire.
The front is a different story though. I ended up replacing just the rear first and still had the 016 front which was worn on the sides a bit. That combo worked great personally. I ran that for a couple weeks then went with the 023 front. Instantly the front felt heavy. Made the SH feel like it had a steering dampner on it. It wanted to stay straight, and it didnt want to lay over quickly. More of a deliberate smooth lay over. Took some getting used to but its ok. I havent compared the 016 vs the 023 tire profile but I know that alot that had to do with it was the fact that I had worn sides on the front. Anyways if I ever find a cbr or vfr front wheel Im going to run a 016 on it. I know that your not supposed to run different number tires but whatever. Tire dorks can complain all they want........
Also if you get the 023. make sure its the GT model. They have the extra hard center for our heavy bikes.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Squid

Saintsman27 is on a distinguished road
Choosing tyres is a very personal matter , but I changed to Pirelli Angel GT tyres
as replacement for older Pirellis and never looked back , they are a sports tourer tyre
of course and not for your race circuits but on the VTR Firestorm they give impressive grip and sure wet handling I couldn't have better for the type of riding I do in the UK.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:47 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I'm running the 016 front/023 rear on mine. The GT is not for our bikes, the GT is for extra heavy bikes like big cruisers. Read the specs on them if ya wanna double check me.

The 016/023 combo is awesome on the road. Love them!

James

Quick Reply: Tire thread