Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tire mounting at home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Tire mounting at home?

Does that happen with sportbikes like with dirtbikes? Can I use my spoons or will I crack a wheel?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I've never done it any different. Grew up on MX bikes so I figured why not? And I do all my car tire by hand as well. Sportbikes are actually a lot easier than any MX tire I've changed. Breaking the bead is the only part that might give you a challenge. There are various homemade methods of accomplishing this. After that, the tire dang near falls on and off (compared to a dirtbike).

Use some lube. And take some care not to ding up the rim if cosmetics are a concern as they are not as resiliant as a MX rim. At first I didn't care and chewed things up a bit. Then I started doing friends' tire and a shop rag between the rim and tire iron did the trick. Now I use a set of plastic rim protectors. They're OK, nothing great. The rag worked just as well.

Then buy, or build a stand out of wood, or whatever, and balance if needed. Spin it a few times, mark the low point, add/remove weight, repeat untill it's random with no rocking back and forth before it comes to a stop. They bearings are remarkably smooth. I had doubts of this method working well at first. I was surprised. Stick on weights can be found at dealers or auto parts stores.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Lube is very important to remember. It's easy to do manually. I picked up a changer from Harbor Freight. I made my money back in 4 changes compared to shops and it's also easier than doing them manually.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
I picked up a changer from Harbor Freight.
They don't sell that changer anymore. I've looked and looked
Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 AM
SuperBike

I'll sell you mine for twice what I paid for it!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I spent years doing it this way Minimalist Tubeless Motorcycle Tire Change Part I - YouTube

But then I wisened and got the harbor freight changer. Found the motorcycle adapter used on cl in the next state & drove to get it.

Also the no-mar tire change bar is a revelaton. You can do it like the video above but like they said, use plastic rim savers (buy the real ones dont make your own).

It is worth doing. Taking the bike to a shop is a waste. You will need a good air source to seat the bead though. A small air tank will do.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Lots of lube, tires heated up in the sun for hours on a blacktop driveway, and a good quality tire changing machine- like a No-Mar pro.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
FYI No-Mar is owned by Hawkrider's brother.. If only he could get us a decent discount..
Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
FYI No-Mar is owned by Hawkrider's brother.. If only he could get us a decent discount..
Geez...where's the love, huh?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
I do them myself as well. Use Windex for lube and this Motorsport Products Portable Tire Changing Stand With Bead Breaker | Jake Wilson as my bead breaker. Almost $100, but it pays for itself in a couple uses.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
find some friends that ride a lot, chip in and get a no-mar basic version. With tires from mail order and mounting them yourselves it will pay for itself in no time and the job becomes a few minute, easy, safe, no-mar job. you have to have enough friends that ride enough to go through tires though. amazing product, customer service and family business
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
My interest is piqued. Maybe I will bust out the spoons and see. If I deflate the tire and stand on the sidewall will it come off the bead? I have always wrestled with changing tires on the floor. These feel pretty gummy compared to Dunlop dualsport tires. I'll let know what happens, thanks fellers.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:45 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Standing on it usually wont do it. Maybe, but I was never able to accomplish it. I saw a dude on YouTube nail a 2x4 to a wall stud coming straight out at a 90 degree angle. Then another one nailed to that close to the wall at another 90 so it's pointed downward. Then use the lever action of that to pop the bead. Should work. I have contraption I made out of spare metal pieces that does basically the same thing. Put a rug down or something to protect the rotors and such from the floor.

A guy I work with once brought a wheel into work and ran the tire over with the forklift. I thought he was crazy but it worked.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Wake me up when I stop laughing... When you go to break the bead you'll see why. I have snapped 2x4s in half trying to break the bead. On a streetbike they are REALLY tough. Watch this video Minimalist Tubeless Motorcycle Tire Change Part I - YouTube

And every other video on the tube BEFORE attempting it. Also know that other videos usually want their machine to look great so use a recently mounted & over lubed tire. Lots of windex (assume the whole bottle) to get it free. It is as much tecnique as brute force but can take lots of both. Cold temps make it exponentially harder. (literally)
Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Geez...where's the love, huh?
Best I can do is free shipping and 10% off.

Give Steve a call on his cell at 636-861-1560. Feel free and drop my name.

Regards,

Greg
Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GlockPointer
My interest is piqued. Maybe I will bust out the spoons and see. If I deflate the tire and stand on the sidewall will it come off the bead? I have always wrestled with changing tires on the floor. These feel pretty gummy compared to Dunlop dualsport tires. I'll let know what happens, thanks fellers.
If it's a freshly mounted tire, maybe. If it's been on longer than a day then probably not. I've heard all kinds of stories about folks trying to break the bead - riding over the tire with a truck, C-clamps, etc. Honestly, the best tool for the job is one that is made for the job. Spend the dough, get good at it, change tires for your friends, and never buy beer again! FWIW, my asking price is a 12 pack of Sam Adams.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Another cheap date!

Ha! I thought you were going to plug your brother's machine. It is a good alternative to the numb nuts at the shops.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
The HF changer works really well with some mods to the china made stuff. Weld (not just bolt) lower base then secure to floor well. HF rim clamps could scratch wheel so i have always just used the nylon rim savers then clamp down. The bead breaker works fine, never failed me even on an old Ford Bronco tire. Now the breaker bar on the HF changer is junk and will scratch the wheel. I instead bought the No-Mar tire bar (nylon tips) and paste and use that for all rubber / wheel surface contact.

Changed about 40 tires to date and no scratches yet. Someday i may spring for the full No-Mar, but for now i stick with what is working.

If you ride much at all it will pay for itself time and time again.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'd do my own if I had a Coats RC 200/EX in my garage. But I was spoiled for the 34 years that I taught in a 10 bay shop with all the best equipment: tire changers, balancer, computerized 4 wheel alignment, smog check, 4 above ground Rotary lifts, Snap-on tools in a tool room almost as big as my house, etc. I've done thousands of car tires, but we didn't have a motorcycle tire changer.

I did the tires on my first bike over a plastic trash can, 30 years ago. My back says take it to the dealer now-a-days.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Best I can do is free shipping and 10% off.

Give Steve a call on his cell at 636-861-1560. Feel free and drop my name.

Regards,

Greg
Dang that's not too bad!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
My new front rubber came early last week. I was definitely going to try mounting myself this time (after the local guy butched my rear rim). Never heard any horror stories about breaking the bead.... Ah hell, bring it! Now hit the checkout button for a 3 iron kit. Wish me luck! Unless there is someone local w/ the right tool??????
Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
My new front rubber came early last week. I was definitely going to try mounting myself this time (after the local guy butched my rear rim). Never heard any horror stories about breaking the bead.... Ah hell, bring it! Now hit the checkout button for a 3 iron kit. Wish me luck! Unless there is someone local w/ the right tool??????
You better be willing to go two falls out of three!