Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tight choke

Old 03-27-2006, 05:55 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
Tight choke

After my rejet a year ago, my choke lever is difficult to pull. Owner's manual doesn't offer any suggestions. What would cause this? At the dealership, they said I could just turn-out the **** with the little choke symbol on it, but this just removes the plastic **** off the lever.

Ideas?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:07 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Yes.. You are turning the wrong part of the choke ****. Pull back the rubber boot right there by the ****, and twist the round plastic piece behind the ****.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Re: Tight choke

probably not a bad idea to lubricate the choke cable from time to time with wd40 or whatever your preferred lubricant is - I used to lube the clutch, throttle, choke, etc cables on my other bikes and never had one get tight or break. They sell those cable lube adapters that do help the lubricate get pushed down the cable - I have one from dennis kirk and it works pretty well.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

Woops. No, I meant to say I had adjusted the rubber boot behind the ****. I've done that to the point where it comes loose and moves freely forward and backward along the metal shaft. I've already lubed the cable and shaft using Honda Pro oils. I'm still at a loss.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:41 AM
SuperSport

Loco
It could be a kink in the cable. They are very simple mechanically, but towards the carbs they require a little more straight shot without bending. If that is somehow tensioned too tightly, it could cause problems. I know its a lot of trouble just for a choke cable, but have you removed it from the bike since its been acting up?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:42 AM
SuperSport

Loco
And if you don't have a solution, I can sell you a used choke cable for cheap.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:59 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
It's misrouted or flipped over, and binding.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

It pulls smoothly but slowly and requries about twice the effort as it originally did. I'll check for binding but it looked okay. I went around to the other side of the bike where the cable is and it looked fine. I'll get someone to pull it from the other side to see what's going on.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:05 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by mikecronis";p=&quot
It pulls smoothly but slowly and requries about twice the effort as it originally did. I'll check for binding but it looked okay. I went around to the other side of the bike where the cable is and it looked fine. I'll get someone to pull it from the other side to see what's going on.

Thanks guys!
It splits into two cables farther back. These should exit without crossing over each other in any way. If they do, you'll get your problem.