SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Tight choke (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/tight-choke-8358/)

mikecronis 03-27-2006 05:55 AM

Tight choke

After my rejet a year ago, my choke lever is difficult to pull. Owner's manual doesn't offer any suggestions. What would cause this? At the dealership, they said I could just turn-out the knob with the little choke symbol on it, but this just removes the plastic knob off the lever.

Ideas?

Loco 03-27-2006 08:07 AM

Yes.. You are turning the wrong part of the choke knob. Pull back the rubber boot right there by the knob, and twist the round plastic piece behind the knob.

RickB 03-27-2006 08:16 AM

Re: Tight choke

probably not a bad idea to lubricate the choke cable from time to time with wd40 or whatever your preferred lubricant is - I used to lube the clutch, throttle, choke, etc cables on my other bikes and never had one get tight or break. They sell those cable lube adapters that do help the lubricate get pushed down the cable - I have one from dennis kirk and it works pretty well.

mikecronis 03-28-2006 12:08 AM

Woops. No, I meant to say I had adjusted the rubber boot behind the knob. I've done that to the point where it comes loose and moves freely forward and backward along the metal shaft. I've already lubed the cable and shaft using Honda Pro oils. I'm still at a loss.

Loco 03-28-2006 07:41 AM

It could be a kink in the cable. They are very simple mechanically, but towards the carbs they require a little more straight shot without bending. If that is somehow tensioned too tightly, it could cause problems. I know its a lot of trouble just for a choke cable, but have you removed it from the bike since its been acting up?

Loco 03-28-2006 07:42 AM

And if you don't have a solution, I can sell you a used choke cable for cheap.

jschmidt 03-28-2006 02:59 PM

It's misrouted or flipped over, and binding.

mikecronis 03-29-2006 06:55 AM

It pulls smoothly but slowly and requries about twice the effort as it originally did. I'll check for binding but it looked okay. I went around to the other side of the bike where the cable is and it looked fine. I'll get someone to pull it from the other side to see what's going on.

Thanks guys!

jschmidt 03-29-2006 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by mikecronis";p=&quot (Post 19460)
It pulls smoothly but slowly and requries about twice the effort as it originally did. I'll check for binding but it looked okay. I went around to the other side of the bike where the cable is and it looked fine. I'll get someone to pull it from the other side to see what's going on.

Thanks guys!

It splits into two cables farther back. These should exit without crossing over each other in any way. If they do, you'll get your problem.