Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Theft Deterent Systems & Secure Parking

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:09 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Theft Deterent Systems & Secure Parking

I have an HJC alarm http://www.mwsbike.com/alarm and have a plug that bypasses it if there is a problem so you can start the bike.

I have a hidden kill swich that interupts ignition.

I carry a disk lock too (Krypto Fgtabotit flat key [now Evo 4] & an old EMGO star key).

In the shop I use a disk lock & U-lock (old Krypto barrel key which may or may not be opened with a Bic pen but have not tried) and a bigass cable but infrequently.

BTW, I always use a 1.5' long piece of yellow caution tape on my disk, U and cable locks, both so I don't forget to remove them and to attract attention of would be thieves. Locking the steering head may or may be a good idea.

A bike covers also a deterent and keeps rain off, etc. and pack small on road trips.

I hate the city and don't park there often (never overnight), and when I do, I sit in view of the bike when possible (even not going places where I can't).

On day trips I usually can watch and even leave a helmet on the bike (but not gloves, they go in may hardf tail trunk). Where I usually ride, security is usually not an issue.

Parking garages often allow parking near attendents.

What do others do?

Last edited by skokievtr; 12-20-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:02 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
uh... lock the handlebars. haha. i didnt even think of alarms for bikes. im glad you posted this though, very helpful. thanks.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:51 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I usually take the key out of the ignition.... but then forget to pull it out of the seat lock.

I have a Xena disc lock alarm that works pretty good.
On long trips I'll pull the bike into the hotel room when no one is looking.

Last edited by inderocker; 12-21-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
On long trips I'll pull the bike into the hotel room when no one is looking.
it must be near to sleep.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:36 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I have insurance....
Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=inderocker;193257]I usually take the key out of the ignition.... but then forget to pull it out of the seat lock.

Use a big key fob...

Originally Posted by drew_c14
I have insurance....
I started this thread also for those who are considering or have dropped theft coverage.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=skokievtr;193272]
Originally Posted by inderocker
I started this thread also for those who are considering or have dropped theft coverage.
I understand, I was just being a smart ***. I've had a bike and 4 wheeler stolen before and insurance isn't all it's cracked up to be. They can never replace time, money, blood and sweat we put into our babies.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
I stick this in the tankbag when I leave the bike parked up...

anti-theft accessory

Seriously, I have a Honda D-lock (fits in the under-seat compartment). Used to have an immobiliser alarm but had it disconnected when it played up - Eventually loading the bike into a van with the alarm going full blat in a supermarket carpark with no-one batting an eyelid.

Thankfully never had an attempt made on the VTR but lost a couple of bikes to tea leafs. Which prompted me to when I had to park an old Superdream in the street to stuff tin cans up the rear of the bike to act as a cheap alarm!

If you don't have theft insurance then multiple passive and active deterrents are the best idea against opportunist scum - Against anyone more determined then a secure garage with heavy duty ground-locks surrounded my motion sensing alarms plus trip grenades for good measure.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
I am amongst those that just lock the bike at the ignition and then forget my key in the seat lock.....Drives me crazy when I do that.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
So is there anyone here with a moto alarm? what do you have ? easy to install? I brought this up over a year ago but couldn't find my original thread.

I want to install a nice alarm but don't know whats good and bad out there.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
shizzy, you had your mountain bike ripped off last year, didn't you?

I don't know about alarms, but during the 13 years I lived in a condo with no garage, I used a huge plastic coated chain attached to a steel post with a giant padlock and a Kryptonite U-lock through the rear wheel and swingarm, with a PVC elbow on the end of the Kryptonite. And I locked the steering head.

But one time about 20 years ago I rode home on my '86 CB700SC during the day, parked in the carport, and went up to my condo. I didn't lock it since it was daytime. A couple of hours later, my neighbor's 25 year old son knocked on the door and said "You left your key in the ignition", as he handed me my key. Boy, did I feel like a dumb ***.

And I always covered my bike, since I lived within 1 mile of the ocean. I came home after driving my truck to work one day to find that my bike cover had been stolen. After that I used another padlock to lock the cover, using the eyelets at the bottom.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

funny you mention that. the bike was indeed stolen while under the supervision of my neighbor, whom I let borrow it. that bastard actually paid me back the other day.... I couldn't believe it. I had a run in with him at our local bar and called him out in front of several people last week. I guess he got the point. I was really surprised none the less. anyways.....I have a small cable lock that I lock the cover to the bike with. and I purchased a big chain with a big lock and anchored a D-ring shackle to the concrete pad out back. its gonna take a grinder with a cut off wheel to free the bike. I still feel an electronic paging alarm system would be worthwhile when I take the bike out and about.....Id rather not haul a bunch of crazy locks with me everywhere.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I had a bike that was hot wired & started but they couldnt ride it off cuz I had a cheap little padlock on the front disc out of sight. A cover is really the #1 security since they have to lift it & look suspect just to find what other locks you have. I have a gorilla alarm which has proven hugely durable. My hjc alarm died from vibration. Even in my locked garage I keep it chained to an anchor on the floor & covered. I use a "personal alarm" which is designed to be attached to a purse to prevent snatching when the bike is outside my window. I just run a wire to the bike so if someone tries to move it it sets off the alarm in my apartment. I have had bikes stolen & it sucks. Once had a bike stolen from right next to mine but mine was covered & his wasnt
Old 08-22-2010, 02:31 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
So is there anyone here with a moto alarm? what do you have ? easy to install? I brought this up over a year ago but couldn't find my original thread.

I want to install a nice alarm but don't know whats good and bad out there.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:16 PM
MotoGP

I have a gorilla alarm which has proven hugely durable. My hjc alarm died from vibration
Old 08-22-2010, 04:32 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

any particular model? I was looking at a scorpio alarm and was blown away at the price. thanks bud.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo.../dp/B000GVIOPQ

is this it? the price seems too good to be true!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, thats what I have. Like I said I pretty much live on my bike & ride in all weather year round. Several other alarms died on me & this thing is self contained & bullet proof. You can adjust the sensitivity easily & can set it to just alarm if the bike is lifted off the sidestand. Gotta be 4-5 yrs of brutal riding & it still works as when new. You can even get a new transmitter if you "lose" yours. Its louder than most too even in the tail section.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah, is that you in the chicken suit? Please say yes.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

haha, nope. its just a picture that i found on the internet. it seemed to be a real chicken in a little suit. I thought it would be the perfect avatar for this site.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM
MotoGP

I saw this one on youtube. Very slap n chop in that I really wanted to buy it by the end of the sales pitch. Havent yet tho..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNNBUkHWKPw
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

just ordered my gorilla alarm. thanks for your input!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have a scorpio alarm on my SH, it was a pretty easy install and fits nicely under the seat. Not cheap but with the 2 way remote you know if someone messes with it when its out of sight.