Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Suspension adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Suspension adjustment

Ok, so I went to a suspension clinic and got my 954 forks adjusted for my weight, and it made a huge difference.. (improvement)

However I now experience a bit of chatter from the front end when in a fast corner. From what I am finding online this is due to not enough rebound dampening, and that I should "gradually increase" that till I get it right.

What does "gradually increase" mean? One turn? 1/4 turn? 100 turns? I mean these are standard showa forks, there aught to be a bit of guidance beyond just "gradually" lol.

Anyways, if I could get a bit of advice from someone in the know, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:30 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I would think 1/4 turns would suffice as a gradual adjustment. The problem is that I'm not sure the external adjustment will completely solve your problem. It sounds like you are having issues with the high speed damping - the external adjustment only changes the low speed portion of the damping.

I stiffen up the shim stack on pretty everything be it street or track applications. I'd say if you are pushing that hard a revalve should be something to consider.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 AM
MotoGP

Thanks Jamie! I will try 1/4 turn to start.. Actually looking at it now, it seems that Rick (from aztrackdays) when he setup my forks adjusted the rebound to less than the stock setting.. For whatever reason. 1/4 turn will put them back to the Honda mark. So I will start with that and report back.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
SuperBike

Not surprising really. I'm guessing that he did the "push and bounce" method. That's a really god way to set the suspension but only works for the low speed. The high speed cannot be adjusted externally nor can it be checked in the pits. The chatter you report is exactly the kind of info a suspension tuner needs to make adjustments to the shim stacks.

Go ahead and try adjusting the low speed but if it doesn't help you should consider going back to where it is now and making shim stack changes instead.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

That actually took care of it completely! Same road, same corners, similar speeds, no chatter. I am sure it could be improved with shims etc, but at the levels I ride at, it is now better than it has ever been.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM
SuperBike

I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted out!