Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bike won't start after winter sitting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
Bike won't start after winter sitting...

Long story short, my hawk has been sitting (with stabil in the tank), for the winter. I had the good ole regulator failure right at the end of the season last year, and as lame as it sounds, just didn't have the extra money at the time to buy new parts.... In my diagnosing endevour, I had removed the stator to have it tested to make sure it too did not have a problem. Stator checked out good. The r/r was smoked and had taken out the connector with it. I decided to upgrade to an R1 r/r. So, I purchased a new one from the dealer, finally installed it last night. Put the stator back in with new gasket. Had the battery on a maintain charger so that was all set. Hooked everything up, cranked the motor a few times to get some oil about the engine since it's been sitting. Finally the moment of truth... Bike won't fire but cranks freely, I know it's getting fuel since I can smell it coming out the exhaust. Any one have any similar problems that might have a word of advice to a newbie with the hawk??? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you verified that the plugs are firing?
Since you have been into the electrial system, and you know you are getting fuel, I'd want to be certain the plugs are firing.
Other than that, any chance the carbs were flooded?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
+1 on checking the plugs 1st as Brian suggests...if they are firing and if you had the tank off check to make sure you hooked up the vent and vac lines correctly on the petcock cuz that's an easy mistake to make
Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 AM
nOOb
Squid

As suggested, I was planning on checking the plugs this evening. It's still cold in ct and I was too cold/tired/full yesterday to bother taking the tank off last night. I will say up front that I am not very familiar with carbs... So I'm going to try to meddle with those as little as possible. I am doing my home work to learn though!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:06 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Assuming you've got spark... Did you run it after you added the fuel stabilizer? Have you dumped the old gas and added fresh gas since then?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
Not to ask a stupid question, but I will..... do you have the kill switch in the Run position? A buddy of mine drained his battery trying to get his Hawk started one year and never realized he had it switched off.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
nOOb
Squid

Killswitch was on for initial cranking since it had been sitting just to get the oil circulating. However, I didn't crank it long enough to flood the carbs I wouldn't think, as I have done that before, hopping on and forgetting to toggle the switch. Inderocker, I didn't run it after I added stabil, since my r/r was smoked. I did try to crank it a little after I added it though. Now that I think of it it surely wasn't enough to make it to the carbs... I have not dumped the tank, tank has not been off the bike since being in my possesion...
Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Pull the plugs and make sure they aren't wet-fouled. If clean, try a shot of engine starter fluid. I think your carbs are gummy. You only stabilized the tank.

Last edited by superbling; 03-24-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Do you have spark sparky?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 AM
nOOb
Squid

Update, checked for spark yesterday morning before leaving for work, it's zaptastic! I was thinking the cold was an issue, so I left the space heater on in the garage by the bike during the day. Got home from work last night, and went to crank the bike... vroom vroom she fired up! Started and idled fine, it seems that the bike may be overcharging though now.... Was charging at 14.5v at inital start-up, once warmed up and choke off, it was still charging at 14.1v.... Shut the bike off and my battery voltage is at 12.89v! I know this is only about 3/10 of a volt higher than normal battery voltage but I don't want anything else to go on my girl!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Dusty, good to hear she's running! Can't help you with battery issues cuz I haven't replaced my R/R yet and we don't store our bikes in FL...we just ride them year round and when the battery goes we just buy a new one
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Anything from 13.6v-14.8v is good, 12.89v on a battery is okay.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
nOOb
Squid

Originally Posted by inderocker
Anything from 13.6v-14.8v is good, 12.89v on a battery is okay.
Thanks for the info! I had found some old posts by superbling that had eased my mind slightly when reading about his gsxr upgrade. I am going to attempt to put the fairings back on and take her for a ride later and see how she fares. My only other concern is that the r/r gets pretty freaking hot, even at idle, in a 28 degree garage.... I know this is normal but how hot is normal. I did use the search button and found a couple posts on additional ideas to help keep heat down, has any one performed any of these (i.e: pcu fans, drilling holes, ect.)? Sorry again about my noob-ism...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superbling
Pull the plugs and make sure they aren't wet-fouled. If clean, try a shot of engine starter fluid.
I realize he's got the bike running but I'd like to suggest using carb cleaner instead of Starting Fluid. Starting fluid is way more volatile than gasoline and if used incorrectly can do big damage fast. Usually in the form of broken rods and/or pistons. Carb Cleaner works very well and will usually light off with a weak spark and burns way slower than Ether(starting fluid).
I've even used furniture polish in a pinch over Starting Fluid.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 AM
nOOb
Squid

Not to go OT, but I need to conclude the saga of my hawk. So got home from work yesterday evening, was about 39 degrees out, so I decided to go to the mobile station about 3 miles away and put a fresh tank in'er. Put my reg/insurance stuff and a tool kit in the tail, check all my lights and off I go! Get about a mile and a half down rt12 and then *WHOOP WHOOP*. Aw crap. Cop walks up to me and informs me that my rear running lights are out. Ha-wha? Sure enough I get off the bike and take a look for myself (front ones still operational). I then explain to him that I just got the bike running and what my journey was for and showed him my tool kit in the tail in case anything happened. He was cool and let me go. But end result, bike running like a champ! Now on to this running light issue tonite....
Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Dusty, Glad to hear you're back up and running and It's always better to be lucky than good
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Hey Dusty? You get your r/r from Darryl? You must have the third Superhawk in town. I've got a red '98 and there is a yellow one with a underfaring kit. What do you have?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 AM
nOOb
Squid

Just to update this. The r1 r/r mod has been working great, put about 700m on the bike since the mod and no problems. Would highly recommend this mod to anyone next time they have a honda r/r blink out!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Dusty B
Just to update this. The r1 r/r mod has been working great, put about 700m on the bike since the mod and no problems. Would highly recommend this mod to anyone next time they have a honda r/r blink out!
That's good to know! Will it bolt right up w/o much fuss?

Thanks,
RC
Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 AM
nOOb
Squid

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
That's good to know! Will it bolt right up w/o much fuss?

Thanks,
RC

Bolts up with very little fuss at all. I basically used this as a reference -------> http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/ (repost). The only changes that I made were that I added the second bolt hole as the r1 r/r is wider than the stocker, and wanted the new unit to be secure (something about having an electrical part coming loose and swinging near my ***.... ).
You'll have to use slightly longer 10mm bolts also as the new r/r's body is thicker.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Dusty B
Bolts up with very little fuss at all. I basically used this as a reference -------> http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/ (repost). The only changes that I made were that I added the second bolt hole as the r1 r/r is wider than the stocker, and wanted the new unit to be secure (something about having an electrical part coming loose and swinging near my ***.... ).
You'll have to use slightly longer 10mm bolts also as the new r/r's body is thicker.
Thanks Dusty!

He Greg that white paper should be posted up for everyone to see if it's not already...I'd fix it but sometimes I have a hard time finding my hindpart with both hands
Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Link posted and stuck in the Knowledge Base.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Link posted and stuck in the Knowledge Base.
Thanks Greg! You da man
RC