Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

superdutyd CCT's & Make ya' own gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
superdutyd CCT's & Make ya' own gasket

I had made my own CCT's with 1/4" steel and welded on a stainless steel nut. My CCT's worked just fine, but I saw that superdutyd had CNC'd some CCT's, and he was local to me, so he gave a deal and I picked them up. Good design and they looked a heck of a lot better than the ones I fab'd up. My cousin saw me making my own gaskets in a way that he has never seen before, so I figured maybe I would throw this on here to help someone else out. This technique only works on some applications, not everything that needs a gasket.

You can use a piece of paper, then a pencil or a crayon to scratch an outline, then cut it out, and then finally trace it onto gasket material. This works, but I learned a while back to do something that is a lot faster.

See how the CCT opening has kind of a sharp edge to it? (I know you can't see it in these cell phone pictures, but just trust me on this)

You cut a hole to put one of the screws through the gasket material. This keeps it from moving around. Hold the other end of the gasket material with your hands. Use a ball peen hammer and lightly tap the edges, and the screw holes with the hammer. When you take off the gasket material, you will see the outline of the CCT in the material, and if the edges of the CCT opening is sharp enough, it will cut it out for you.

Try to tap just the edges of the opening. Otherwise you end up squishing the gasket material.

Here it is all cut out. Took about 30 seconds.

These are superdutyd's CCT's. I put a nice coat of aluminum engine paint on them to keep the aluminum from oxidizing.