Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

strange electrical event

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
strange electrical event

Here is a new one for my VTR. yesterday I went for a ride, I stopped for fuel. Bike was running perfectly. I shut the bike off the way I always do, with the key. I filled up, like always. I started the bike up and all the setings were zeroed out. Both odometers and the clock were re-set to zero. The bike still runs perfectly but I am left baffled over the event. What happened? Anyone have this happen to their Hawk?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Weird
Both odometers and the clock were re-set to zero.
Does this mean your Hawk has zero miles on it now, high re-sale value. Or it just the one that you can reset anyway.

(:-})
Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Hmmm... that is weird, never heard this before... Did you do any electrical work recently?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Was there a cell tower near by?

The parking lot where I work is next door to one with a maintenance station and when they have a power spike or some sort of failure all the radio presets in my car zero out along with the electronic trip meters.

A weird PITA.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by cybercarl
Weird
Does this mean your Hawk has zero miles on it now, high re-sale value. Or it just the one that you can reset anyway.

(:-})
The odometer is still reading true mileage but both trip meters were zeroed out as well as the clock. I haven't done any electrical work on this bike. No cell tower near that I'm aware of. Looks like I have a short to find.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
R/R precursor?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the battery voltage dropped when you started the bike.

Now you just to figure out why. It does sound like the R\R issue but do all the tests and go from there. What is the battery voltage now?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
I have that problem. Everything but the actual Odo resets. What I have found is that when the battery is low on CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) it will take all the juice the battery has to start, therefore clearing out the all the non stored data. As of now, my CCAs cant even turn the bike over, But durring the summer every now and then during start up when a piston would hit TDC the starter would struggle to push past TDC and used the extra voltage of the battery to "get over the hump" so to speek.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Usually a warning sign to look at the R/R and corroded wiring... The battery isn't charging fully...
Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Usually a warning sign to look at the R/R and corroded wiring... The battery isn't charging fully...
Thanks Tweety, I thought I just had a battery that was going bad this whole time.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
I stand corrected, I replaced the OEM R/R when I bought the bike with a brand new R1 unit, so I have done electrical work. I need to check voltage now since that was brought up. When it happened, I had been riding the bike for a while so it was hot, that's to say normal operating temp. I think it's the battery. Maybe time to finally get one of Jamie's battery packs. Test first tho, I don't like replacing parts that don't need it just to find a problem. Gotta remember, start with the dumbest, most simple thing first.

Last edited by twist; 02-03-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If the R1 unit is a Mosfet one, it's unlikely to fail that soon (six months?), so I'd say you have a corroded wire/connector somewhere...

You should have 14.3-14.7V at all times (check idle, 3k and 5k rpm) if it's Mosfet, and possibly as much variation as 13.8-14.8V if non-Mosfet... If it's anything other than that, there is something amiss, either with the R/R or the wiring... Especially bad if it's at any time 15V or above, but dropping below 14V means insufficient charging...

And if have that voltage, and your battery still isn't charging, THEN it's the battery going bad/old...

Last edited by Tweety; 02-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I just had this same thing happen this morning. 50 degrees out and the bike was slow to turn over, then i noticed the clock and trip meter was reset...

The battery is quite a few years old, like 4 or 5 i think... May be looking at a new one next year...

(ZX10R mosfet r/r is installed)

James
Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
I had this happen on my VFR. Started fine cold, then stumbled a bit re-starting after a fuel stop, and the clock/trip reset. I put in a new battery and all has been fine ever since (15000km). I also fitted a voltmeter at the same time so I could get some forewarning if the R/R was crapping out but it is perfect (13.8v all the time) so my problem was just an ageing battery.