Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Stock CCT removal info

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:05 AM
Back Marker

ZERO is on a distinguished road
Stock CCT removal info

I'm sorry to make this a new post, but my work computer won't let me ad to existing posts for whatever reason. As I already posted, with all of the great information that I've received here, I'm swapping out my original tensioners for a set of Kriegers. One question still, though. Do I need to "lock" the originals with my home made tool? Some posts seem to say that you can just remove the two 10mm bolts and slide them out. Others, that you must "lock" the center mechanism. I don't want any part of these falling into my engine. (I know that so many of you have already successfully completed this mod.) I thank you for your time!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:00 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

5. You can now remove the old Tensioner (CCT) from the engine casing. Undo the bolts a bit at a time alternating from one side to the other. Once the bolts are undone about one or two centimetres then you may have to give the end of the tensioner a light tap with a hammer or something to break the seal where the gasket is stuck to the casing. Once the seal is broken you can then continue to undo the bolts a bit at a time still alternating from side to side so it comes out squarely. It may drip a small amount of oil out from it so you may want to place a rag directly underneath.
You only need the DIY key if reinstalling or fitting OEM tensioners.