Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Anybody know what the stock rebound shim stack spec of the stock forks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:05 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road

Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
You could try Race Tech... Or Jamie Daugherty...

Have you considered measuring them yourself? Pretty easy with a dial caliper.

I did this when I revalved my YZ125. Got the shim stack specs on the internet, then pulled my shim stacks and verified the specs were correct, then redesigned the shim stack based upon my research.

Shims were cheap, and it was easy to do.

James
Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by thedeatons
You could try Race Tech... Or Jamie Daugherty...

Have you considered measuring them yourself? Pretty easy with a dial caliper.

I did this when I revalved my YZ125. Got the shim stack specs on the internet, then pulled my shim stacks and verified the specs were correct, then redesigned the shim stack based upon my research.

Shims were cheap, and it was easy to do.

James
I have a stack of shims but most are the wrong size. They are not easy to get here. So don't want to pull it apart until I know what it has.

Going to try a different source to get them.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:07 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Going from old notes the stock rebound stack is .1 x 17, .1 x 16 (2), .1 x 15 (2), .1 x 11, .2x8. All measurements are in millimetres.
Apparently there were changes made to the suspension in ’01 but I’ve never come across a definitive source setting out what they were.
I changed the shims on the HMAS rebound valves on my VTR. I had enough shims left over after installing Race Tech compression gold valves.
As stated previously, Jamie Daugherty is the man to go to about VTR suspension. Greg Nemish is very knowledgeable too but he doesn’t post here as much as he used to. There’s also Robert Taylor in New Zealand but I don’t know much about him.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:06 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by comedo
Going from old notes the stock rebound stack is .1 x 17, .1 x 16 (2), .1 x 15 (2), .1 x 11, .2x8. All measurements are in millimetres.
Apparently there were changes made to the suspension in ’01 but I’ve never come across a definitive source setting out what they were.
I changed the shims on the HMAS rebound valves on my VTR. I had enough shims left over after installing Race Tech compression gold valves.
As stated previously, Jamie Daugherty is the man to go to about VTR suspension. Greg Nemish is very knowledgeable too but he doesn’t post here as much as he used to. There’s also Robert Taylor in New Zealand but I don’t know much about him.
Thanks thats perfect. Yes I know Robert Taylor. Great guy but he has not done much with VTRs. Ive been speaking with Jamie to.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 AM
SuperSport

Out of interest do you remember what you changed it to?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
SuperSport

Jamie Daugherty helped me work out a rebound stack in the course of an interchange on the Independent Bike Suspension Forum. He didn’t tell me what shim stack to use but he did tell me that I ended up with something close to what he’d recommend. That was more than fine with me. I learned something in the process.

Jamie’s business is suspension and he’s devoted a lot of time and contributed a great deal to this forum. I’m grateful for his help and I don’t want him to feel betrayed. If it’s OK with him and you send me a PM, I’ll let you know what I’m using but it probably won’t be ideal for you.

It’s important to note that I tried to set up my suspension for the nasty pot holed and frost heaved roads in Ontario, Canada and not a race track. I have lighter springs in my bike than yours, I probably use different fork oil at a different level and I’ve got a Penske shock on the back rather than an Ohlins. I don’t know what the spring rate on the rear shock is. The shim stack I’m using in my VTR forks may not be ideal for you.

For what it’s worth, after some initial blunders I looked at the rebound shim stack on a 2005 CBR600RR. It uses a 4 port HMAS rebound valve like the VTR but the shim stack is stiffer. The stack information that I found for it is: 17 x .10, 16 x .10, 15 x .10, 14 x .10 (2), 13 x .10 (2), 8 x .20, 11.5 x .40. I thought a stiffer stack was the way to go because the Race Tech springs in my VTR are stiffer than stock.

Jamie makes his own valves now. At the time I was working on my front suspension he said that he’d use the stock rebound valves but change the shims for the street. He’d use a 3 port Showa rebound valve if the bike were to be set up for the track.

If I were as serious as you are about your VTR and if I were starting from scratch I’d just follow his advice and buy the valves and shims from Jamie or do whatever he recommends. I hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 PM
SuperSport

Jamie Daugherty helped me work out a rebound stack in the course of an interchange on the Independent Bike Suspension Forum. He didn’t tell me what shim stack to use but he did tell me that I ended up with something close to what he’d recommend. That was more than fine with me. I learned something in the process.

Jamie’s business is suspension and he’s devoted a lot of time and contributed a great deal to this forum. I’m grateful for his help and I don’t want him to feel betrayed. If it’s OK with him and you send me a PM, I’ll let you know what I’m using but it probably won’t be ideal for you.

It’s important to note that I tried to set up my suspension for the nasty pot holed and frost heaved roads in Ontario, Canada and not a race track. I have lighter springs in my bike than yours, I probably use different fork oil at a different level and I’ve got a Penske shock on the back rather than an Ohlins. I don’t know what the spring rate on the rear shock is. The shim stack I’m using in my VTR forks may not be ideal for you.

For what it’s worth, after some initial blunders I looked at the rebound shim stack on a 2005 CBR600RR. It uses a 4 port HMAS rebound valve like the VTR but the shim stack is stiffer. The stack information that I found for it is: 17 x .10, 16 x .10, 15 x .10, 14 x .10 (2), 13 x .10 (2), 8 x .20, 11.5 x .40. I thought a stiffer stack was the way to go because the Race Tech springs in my VTR are stiffer than stock.

Jamie makes his own valves now. At the time I was working on my front suspension he said that he’d use the stock rebound valves but change the shims for the street. He’d use a 3 port Showa rebound valve if the bike were to be set up for the track.

If I were as serious as you are about your VTR and if I were starting from scratch I’d just follow his advice and buy the valves and shims from Jamie or do whatever he recommends. I hope this helps.

Cheers. Jamie gave me a stack to try. Just mainly seeing what the stock one had to see what I needed to buy as they are hard to get here.

Thanks Mate.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 PM
SuperSport

I'm sure you'll see an improvement.