Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Still Not Charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Squid

RI-redhawk is on a distinguished road
Still Not Charging

My bike stopped charging the battery last seasonso I replaced the R/R, battery and stator, And still no chaging. voltage may increase somewhat but nothing more then 12.7. I took the whole front fearings and gauges off. All connections seemed pretty corroded. With all Wirring disconnected should the bike not charge? Are the lights Gauges Etc... part of the charging circuit?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
The bike will charge as long as the R/R and the stator are connected, and the battery is part of the circuit.
A minor charge generated as you describe indicates that two of the three phases are connected to the rectifier.
Was your stator new or used?
Check the 3 prongs of the stator plug to ground, if it rings to ground(continuity) on any of the three phases there is a short in the stator.(3 checks)
Between each of the 3 prongs on the stator-side plug, there should be no continuity, and you should see around 1 ohm to 4 ohms resistance going between each.( 3 checks )
Other corroded plugs can be dis-connected and removed from the equation, but the 3 prong stator plug and the 5 / 6 prong rectifier plugs must be connected and working right.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 04-21-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Squid

RI-redhawk is on a distinguished road
The stator was new but some of the insulation hit the exhaust and melted it exposing some wire. i taped it up and re-routed it. I just test the bike and It was producing over 13.5 v . But I stopped it put the ferrings on and again it wasn't producing the the volts. Its an intermitent proble.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Sounds like when you are putting the fairing on it is moving the wires such that it either creates a short or a faulty connection.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
The symptom parallels mine. The final resolution for me was finding corrosion in the wires connected to the females mounted in the plastic connector that attached to the RR unit. RR was good, stator was good, battery was good, plug connector was bad.

Shop fees, being what they are, make the factory manual cheap. The wife, being who she is, makes quality time in my garage frequent. Win/win/win situation here. Spouse knows where I am, bike runs good, I'm allowed to sit anywhere I want to in the garage.

A pox on electrical gremlins!