Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Steering Stem bearings won't fit in new frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Squid

theconundrum is on a distinguished road
Steering Stem bearings won't fit in new frame

Sorry to start another post and ask probably a silly question. I did some searching and people have referenced tapered bearings. Anyway I finally have my new frame on. I'm trying to finish it up to do some riding while we have some nice weather. I was putting the steering stem back on but as I tightened the steering stem nut the front end wouldn't move and I barely hand tightened it. Something told me to back it off and I did. I compared the 2 frames and it looks like the frame I purchased has collars in the top and bottom of the steering stem housing so the bearings I have won't fit. What gives, which one is normal and is it possible to pop out these collars or do I need to purchase smaller bearings? I'll try to add some pictures to show what I'm referencing.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Just to be clear:

Did you buy a new bearing kit? The tapered bearing kits come with outer races that are pressed (or pounded) into the frame, and inner races that are pressed (or pounded) onto the steering stem.

Tapered inner and outer races are totally different than roller ball bearing races.

(Superhawks had a tapered lower bearing from the factory, and a caged ball upper bearing. The bearings/races are a matched set though, so a new tapered bearing kit, like from All *****, will come with inner and outer races that fit properly with the bearings supplied in the kit)

Pictures of what you have will help immensely.

James
Old 01-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Squid

theconundrum is on a distinguished road
Thanks, that explains it. The original bike had ball bearings and not the tapered roller bearings. I'll add that to my list of things to buy. Hopefully I won't run into anymore surprises tomorrow when I continue reassembling the bike.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:53 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Did you not buy a tapered bearing kit?

(All-***** kit cost $30 out the door from Western Power Sports at my local Honda shop)

James
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So not sure which bike or frame has what but don't run out and buy ball bearings. The tapered rollers are much preferred so if the frame has those stick with them.

Most likely you can leave the races in the frame unless they are trashed. They are very durable so just call all ***** and order the parts you need.

They saved me money by selling me just the parts I needed to do my forks and not what I already had in my bike. (for a fork swap)