Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

Wanted: Steering Stem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Wanted: Steering Stem

Does anyone have an extra? Off a parts bike?

I need it so I can get one made, and don't have to tear my bike apart in the mean time.

Thanks.

Erik
Old 10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Why not just buy a lower and extract the stem. I think you can just push it out of the lower with a press. It's splined and there is no orientation so it's pretty simple. I might have a lower for a donor but I gotta check. Would this fit your purposes?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:55 AM
SuperBike

Nuhawk, don't know how I missed your response for the last 10 days.

That is exactly what i want, a lower with stem, press it out, take measurements, recreate.

Yes, if you have a donor, awesome? How much?

Thanks.

Erik
Old 10-30-2009, 11:17 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I might have one, let me check. Shoot me an e-mail so I don't forget.

If it helps, the steering stem is the same in many, many Honda models. The CBR600F2, F4, F4, 900RR, VFR750. VFR800, etc all have the same steering stem in the lower triple. That should help open up the possibilities.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
SuperBike

Thanks Jamie.

What I've determined, in the other thread, is that I need VTR length and bearing surfaces, and GSXR lower triple diameter (if it's different).
Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

I'll check what I have. Maybe back with info tonight.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
SuperBike

Will a 3D CAD model help at all? I think I have one of those.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 PM
SuperBike

3D CAD, I wouldn't know what to do with it, but the guys in the shop might.

Nuhawk, thanks, let me know.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
I have one off of a wrecked 98 hawk. It doesn't look bent, but I cannot verify this b/c I do not have the tools to check it. $15 plus shipping. If you are interested PM me and I will post pics.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I'll check what I have. Maybe back with info tonight.
OK I got one -actually I got two. I got no clue what part of a project this was but if you want it I can ship it. PM me your shipping details and I'll let you know. One of these might have been a deal from ebay that was from an f2 and was a total ripoff - I think the stem is the same but nothing else about the lower matches the Superhawk. The box on the other is labeled VTR Lower so I think that is the good one. Let me compare the parts so I get the right one to you.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hey guys, I'm almost positive there is a weld at the bottom that holds the stem to the lower clamp.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 PM
MotoGP

Both of mine are wrapped in bubble pack with elec tape so I got to cut into them to see what is what. I think what I can see in the one is the lubriplate and the new bearings that I pressed on before realizing that this jerk had sent me an f2 lower instead of Superhawk lower. I'll cut into them tomorrow to make sure of this.

I'm not sure of the weld Greg but I will look -certainly if he's only looking for the stem he could use a small grinder to get rid of the weld. Will advise on that too but I don't remember it being there.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:17 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
As far as I remember there is no weld, it should be pressed in and locked in place by something that looks like chisel marks...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 AM
SuperBike

Thanks guys. I'll be standing by for the info.

Erik
Old 10-31-2009, 06:19 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Hey guys, I'm almost positive there is a weld at the bottom that holds the stem to the lower clamp.
Originally Posted by Tweety
As far as I remember there is no weld, it should be pressed in and locked in place by something that looks like chisel marks...

Yes, it's welded in place. I put the whole lower triple in my mill and cut the wel off so that I don't damage the steering stem It works pretty well.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well I never took mine apart, so I didn't know for sure... You learn something new everyday on this site...
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Squided
Back Marker

Mine is welded.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
x3 on it being welded.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
MotoGP

Well, ****! I didn't remember it that way. I will check the f2 lower to make sure it's the same. Since the f2 lower clamp is not an issue here it's prob the best candidate for being cannibalized. I still think an angle grinder could address the weld after the lower is boken, cut away. I told you guys I would check today and I have been messing around all afternoon. The race is almost over so I will go open up that f2 and get some pix.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:35 PM
MotoGP

The plot thickens. I don't see how these fit together mostly because on both triples the lower seals are installed. You're just going to have to tear into it and find out.

The first picture is the comparison of the f2 triple in back with the Superhawk triple in front. You can see the fresh allballs on the sand blasted and carefully painted lower of the f2. After all was said and done we got our money back from this kid so this is all a wash for me. The extra bolts are just that - I have no clue. All the top nuts/clamp nuts are included. This is all shown in the second picture. I'll check for a shipping quote - I'm pretty sure this will fit into one of those priority boxes from the PO for $15.40 to any zip code in the US. I will advise.
Attached Thumbnails Wanted: Steering Stem-pic00071.jpg   Wanted: Steering Stem-pic00072.jpg  
Old 10-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Squided
Back Marker

The plot thickens. I don't see how these fit together mostly because on both triples the lower seals are installed. You're just going to have to tear into it and find out.
I don't know if we are on the same page. But, if the above quote describes your confusion about the steering stem/lower triple weld, try this..... Flip the lower triple upside down (look at it as your tire would view it). There is a small ridge around the based where the stem meets the triple. Mine doesn't really look like a weld, probably because it is painted and is small (welded by a robot or something?). In summary, if the above quote is stating that the seals are covering up the weld, I believe that would be incorrect.
On another, probably pointless note, is that white lithium grease on the All ***** bearing in the pic? I like using white lithium but decided to go with the Honda recommended molybdenum something something something grease on my all ***** swap. Any reason for the white lithium use? I guess I could search it.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Doug, if Erik doesn't take the triple could I use it? I need a stem for the SuMoHawk project.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by john3012
I .
There is a small ridge around the based where the stem meets the triple.

That was my original assumption but it is incorrect. You can stick your finger all the way up and not find a ridge or joint line.

Any reason for the white lithium use?

Yeah, thirty years in a shop.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Doug, if Erik doesn't take the triple could I use it? I need a stem for the SuMoHawk project.
Absolutely, if he doesn't want it you can have but he has dibs so it's his call. If you are having dimension problems you might consider using the f2 triples with your new forks. You can see in the pix that they are just a little narrower.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
SuperBike

There is a small ridge around the based where the stem meets the triple.

That was my original assumption but it is incorrect. You can stick your finger all the way up and not find a ridge or joint line.

The ridge he is referring to is the raised donut shaped feature on the END of the steering stem. That's a face weld that holds the stem to the lower triple clamp.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
MotoGP

I understand that Jamie. But there is no apparent junction on the inside of the triple or the stem. Without pulling the seals there is no way to examine any signs of a weld on the exterior. What's also weird to me is that if you feel the metal up the walls of the triple and into the stem - the surface feels like a casting - maybe all one piece. Is it possible that the lower is machined from one casting and not an assembly of the clamp and the stem? It makes sense from a machining standpoint - what better opportunity for alignment. You shoot the triples and the axis to the stem out of one chunk of metal.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
SuperBike

I understand that Jamie. But there is no apparent junction on the inside of the triple or the stem. Without pulling the seals there is no way to examine any signs of a weld on the exterior. What's also weird to me is that if you feel the metal up the walls of the triple and into the stem - the surface feels like a casting - maybe all one piece. Is it possible that the lower is machined from one casting and not an assembly of the clamp and the stem? It makes sense from a machining standpoint - what better opportunity for alignment. You shoot the triples and the axis to the stem out of one chunk of metal.

It's pretty clear that you aren't seeing how this goes together. The steering stem itself is a machined piece that is pressed into the clamp until it is flush at the bottom. A bead of weld is then placed around the perimeter as a face weld. Nothing extends into the ID. You won't feel any discontinuities on the inside because that entire surface is the machined stem. What you are feeling is the rough machined surfaces - just because it's machined does not mean it has to be smooth.

I'm probably not explaining this very well. It's been said that a picutre is worth a thousand words, and I just so happen to have my stock front end handy, so let's try:

Old 11-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Squided
Back Marker

Nice pic. I guess I should have said large ridge instead of small. I'm done with this.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Absolutely, if he doesn't want it you can have but he has dibs so it's his call. If you are having dimension problems you might consider using the f2 triples with your new forks. You can see in the pix that they are just a little narrower.
All I need is the stem, either triple will work for me. These forks are far too massive for the F2 clamps. 46mm in diameter.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:53 AM
SuperBike

Nuhawk, I'd prefer a Superhawk stem. let me know shiping to 02891

Quick Reply: Wanted: Steering Stem