Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
And I did check both the PDF and my book both only have wiring diagrams for the (firestorm) PDF is Australian, and my manual is European. That explains a lot on that aspect. Designated by a smal (U) and a small (E) at the top of the page. And apparently my bike has either had the DRL circ removed or a different harness installed. Good to know the little tid bits.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Guys the running lights are Federal law and have been (as is headlight on) since the seventies I think 75. The t/s wires have 3 wire at least since then!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Guys the running lights are Federal law and have been (as is headlight on) since the seventies I think 75. The t/s wires have 3 wire at least since then!
Far as i can find, it's 1978... and while the hard wired headlight is required.. the DRL is a suggested manufacturing standard but is not regulated or required.

If you have a DOT federal reg to cite that says DRL are required please post it.. I can only find that hard wire head lights are required.

Thanks

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-30-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Subpart B - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

§571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

Look at Table I-c—Required Lamps and Reflective Devices

You'll see, there is NO REQUIREMENT for motorcycles to have DRL
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I know my 76 CB550F had headlight and running lights which is why I said 75. Knowing Honda they were probably ahead of the game. In Japan they used to use a variety of running lights and indicators on motorcycles for a variety of reasons alot of it had to do with training but I don't recall he specifics.

Honda is so socially conservative that I'm sure they took the recommendation to be the same as a regulation (think lawyers).
Old 07-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Which light/s are calling the running lights. Do you mean that your headlight is wired into the indicators so they are on permanently, obviously not flashing permanently. Or are you referring to what we call the sidelight in the UK which is the small light in the centre above the headlight.

(:-})
Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Our front indicators are on all the time, although not wired directly to the headlight (and flash "off" for signaling). Same idea though. And in the U.S. we have our headlight on permanently too. We're not to be trusted to turn it on by ourselves...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cybercarl
Which light/s are calling the running lights. Do you mean that your headlight is wired into the indicators so they are on permanently, obviously not flashing permanently. Or are you referring to what we call the sidelight in the UK which is the small light in the centre above the headlight.

Neither..
In the US and other export markets, Motorcycles in general, and Honda Street bikes specifically since the mid 1970's use the front facing indicator lights (turn signal assembly) as day time running lights.. They have a dual filament bulb. For the VTR, this is a 23 watt filament and a 8 watt filament. Like the head light is hard wired and always on,, so are the 8 watt part of the bulb....this creates day time (but really all the time) running lights... two forward facing amber lights, and the headlight.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Thanks that makes sense to me now with the third wire. I can confirm that here our indicators have two wires and we only use the indicators to, well...indicate with LOL We do put out headlights on dipped beam during the day. This is not a legal requirement but just something most bikers do from a safety point of view.

Interesting I think we have all learned something here today. It's funny the subtle differences between the US and European models.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
We do put out headlights on dipped beam during the day
Dipped beam? Does this mean high beams, or brights?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Squid

sftbnwu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
To the OP..

Id have to guess you have a short to ground..likely at one of the points you cut wires.. the trick will be, did it damage the cluster.

Go back to each place you cut wires...make sure each one is individually insulated and sealed (heat shrink tubing is cheap and works great for this, found at any auto parts store)
Thanks, there are indeed 3. I bought the bike with broken signals (been laid over) so just removing until I get flush mounts . The bike looked terrible with these ones on it. I have checked fuses and nothing is blown even replaced for ***** and giggles but still nothing. Thanks again for any help guys!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Squid

sftbnwu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
Sorry for the not so warm welcome to the site. There are a lot of sourpusses on this site. I'm not quite sure why some of them are here when if everyone just used the search function to find every last question there would be no new searches being it seems most everything has been hashed out at one point or another.

So to your problem, what all does and doesn't work? Does the tach and speedo work? Does the backlighting work? Or is it just the side stand and neutral lights that don't work?
What works is the high beam indicator, and turn signal indicators. The illumination, speedo, tach, neutral indicator, and kickstand indicator do not. I do believe this to be a ground. I work at a body shop so going to try and mess with it on lunch tomorrow. At least there I will have my much needed tools lol
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Thanks that makes sense to me now with the third wire. I can confirm that here our indicators have two wires and we only use the indicators to, well...indicate with LOL We do put out headlights on dipped beam during the day. This is not a legal requirement but just something most bikers do from a safety point of view.

Interesting I think we have all learned something here today. It's funny the subtle differences between the US and European models.

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Dipped beam? Does this mean high beams, or brights?
Dipped beam = Low beam...
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Here in the states, most of us ride with the high beams on during the day. Just makes it that much easier for someone to see ya in the daytime.