Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Squid

sftbnwu is on a distinguished road
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP- Instrument Cluster / Panel

I have a 1998 Superhawk 996 and when I got it, all of the turn signals and stuff were on it, so i took them off. I removed the front left turn signal (3 Wires all with connectors), The front right one (The three wires were electrical taped together so I cut by the turn signal) and the rears (Wires with regular connectors) Also removed the rear license plate light (disconnected wires) and now all of a sudden, my entire instrument cluster, does not work. I do still have my indicator for High beams, turn signals, but no neutral light or kickstand light. I have researched a little bit and noticed that alot of people have this fuse blow on them, so I checked mine and every fuse is fine. Is there a ground wire that runs to the cluster somewhere in with the turn signals? I cant find a good diagram, but really want to get this figured out, thanks for your help!

Last edited by sftbnwu; 07-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
If you use the "search" function you should be able to find one pretty easily. The Service Manual is a free download and it has a wiring diagram.

I'm not real sympathetic with this. Good luck fixing your mistakes!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
If you use the "search" function you should be able to find one pretty easily. The Service Manual is a free download and it has a wiring diagram.

I'm not real sympathetic with this. Good luck fixing your mistakes!
Thanks for telling me about manual I found it, was having problems with getting just a diagram to load. As for your sympathy I could give a damn less im just trying to fix my bike. People learn from their mistakes, and thats what im trying to do, just like im sure you had to

Last edited by Wolverine; 07-29-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: edited you asshole comment
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by sftbnwu
Thanks for telling me about manual I found it, was having problems with getting just a diagram to load. As for your sympathy I could give a damn less im just trying to fix my bike. People learn from their mistakes, and thats what im trying to do, just like im sure you had to
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Trust me Wolverine, im no threat. Just simply a guy trying to fix his bike and found a forum I like thats all about it. Wasnt trying to get smartasses to make comments like that, like I said I dont need sympathy I just need help with this problem which is what I believed forums like this were for
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the not so warm welcome to the site. There are a lot of sourpusses on this site. I'm not quite sure why some of them are here when if everyone just used the search function to find every last question there would be no new searches being it seems most everything has been hashed out at one point or another.

So to your problem, what all does and doesn't work? Does the tach and speedo work? Does the backlighting work? Or is it just the side stand and neutral lights that don't work?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sftbnwu
Trust me Wolverine, im no threat. Just simply a guy trying to fix his bike and found a forum I like thats all about it. Wasnt trying to get smartasses to make comments like that, like I said I dont need sympathy I just need help with this problem which is what I believed forums like this were for

It's not that anyone thinks that you're a threat.... but no one on here ESPECIALLY the guys who have owned their bikes since day one want to answer a question that can easily be answered by a quick search. EVERYTHING you can think of information wise is on this site, 90% of questions have been answered at some point and can be found by scrolling up and going to the search bar. And no one wants to answer a stupid question that someone asks because they just started ***** nilly cutting wires on their bike with no clue what they might have actually been cutting... We will give advice where needed, but we can't fix stupid....
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Based on your description I'd go double check your fuses. The "meter/tail/illumination" fuse was most likely blow from you cutting the wires at the same time and shorting it out. If you have a test light or multi meter test for power on both sides of the fuse while it's plugged in to make sure it's good, rather than just a visual test.

sailorjerry I agree you can't "fix stupid" but we've all done stupid things in our lives. Some of us learn from them and some don't. At least he's trying. And honestly, like on every other forum I've been on, the search function leaves a LOT to be desired.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by GTS
sailorjerry I agree you can't "fix stupid" but we've all done stupid things in our lives. Some of us learn from them and some don't. At least he's trying. And honestly, like on every other forum I've been on, the search function leaves a LOT to be desired.

My only point here being, the wiring diagram is the only thing that will help him at this point, reasoning being, that on a super hawk, the connectors in the faring's for the turn signals are only two wires. Meaning, the turn signals only use two wires, 1 power,1 ground (which you would know if you read the wiring diagram). If someone had running lights tapped in then HE needs to follow the wire back and figure out where it is tapped into because there is no way in hell I can tell you what 12v power source someone decided they were going to use to hook in a running light. And if it blew the fuse the whole cluster would go out, not bits and pieces.

So most likely cause is going to be high resistance in a power circuit to the cluster, possibly a short.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 07-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

I hate to have to break the news to you but you're kind of putting you foot in your own mouth now. There are three wires that go to the turn signals in the fairings. From the factory and I'm pretty sure by law we have to have running lights in the front as well as turn signals. There is a green wire that's a ground and there is an orange and an orange/white on one side and a blue and a blue/white on the other. One being for the turn signal and one being for the running light. Maybe you need to open the wiring diagram up and familiarize yourself with it as well.

To further clarify on the later models there is a 2 pin connector that houses the colored positive wires for the running light and turn signal and a separate singe pin (most likely a bullet connector but I don't have on in front of me to check right now) that's the green ground. However being he stated his bike has a side stand indicator his bike must be an early model (unless someone retrofitted a gauge cluster and I'm not sure why anyone would do that) so it has 3 separate bullet connectors on each side for each wire.

Last edited by GTS; 07-29-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 PM
SuperSport

No foot in my mouth Sir, if you would please go back and recheck the wiring diagram, because I have both that and my bike near me, in the great country of AMERICA, running lights are not factory for the super hawk (and are not required by law), MAYBE a firestorm but If memory serves me correctly they do not have running lights either. Let me make that clear one more time, superhawks do not have running lights.

Right turn signal, light blue (positive) green (ground)

Left turn signal, Orange (positive) green (ground)

Running light (transparent) because it doesn't exist from the factory.

Don't believe me please feel free to look at your wiring diagram.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 07-30-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I don't know if my SuperHawk was made in the great country of 'MURICA or the foreign country of Washington State, but it has running lights up front. Does that make it one of these FireStorms of which you speak?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:22 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I don't know if my SuperHawk was made in the great country of 'MURICA or the foreign country of Washington State, but it has running lights up front. Does that make it one of these FireStorms of which you speak?
Maybe, maybe not. ( I'm not even sure if any vtr1000f had running lights) It's possible that it was an option to have running lights, and if thats the case then I couldn't help on that side of the topic anyways, and I feel as if having running lights was an option then they would have put that into the wiring diagrams.

The bike was called different things depending on its country of origin.
Superhawk (EMRICA)
FireStorm (Anywhere out side the US)

Last edited by sailorjerry; 07-30-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:26 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by GTS
I hate to have to break the news to you but you're kind of putting you foot in your own mouth now. There are three wires that go to the turn signals in the fairings. From the factory and I'm pretty sure by law we have to have running lights in the front as well as turn signals. There is a green wire that's a ground and there is an orange and an orange/white on one side and a blue and a blue/white on the other. One being for the turn signal and one being for the running light. Maybe you need to open the wiring diagram up and familiarize yourself with it as well.

To further clarify on the later models there is a 2 pin connector that houses the colored positive wires for the running light and turn signal and a separate singe pin (most likely a bullet connector but I don't have on in front of me to check right now) that's the green ground. However being he stated his bike has a side stand indicator his bike must be an early model (unless someone retrofitted a gauge cluster and I'm not sure why anyone would do that) so it has 3 separate bullet connectors on each side for each wire.

GTS, why so serious, lighten up little buddy.

As I had stated earlier since it was probably over looked due to GTS and I going back and forth.

Check your ground (green wire) chase it all the way back to the cluster, that ground is used through pretty much the whole bike, you're looking for either an open or high resistance. wiggle test the harness behind the clusterand work your way away from the cluster.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 AM
MotoGP

Um, me thinks they all have running signal lights from factory... hence 3 wire fronts, 2 wire rears. Mine is like this and my buddies 98 is as well.

I don't think you are a threat, just please don't name call or hashtagyouareadouche. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Um, me thinks they all have running signal lights from factory... hence 3 wire fronts, 2 wire rears. Mine is like this and my buddies 98 is as well.

I don't think you are a threat, just please don't name call or hashtagyouareadouche. Thank you!
+1, my '99 has running lights.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM
SuperSport

Everyone keeps saying 3 wire fronts, the diagram shows a 2 wire front, and my bike has a 2 wire front. That being said my 01, my buddy's 98, and his girlfriends 98 all have only two wires fronts also the wiring diagram in the manual here on the forum and my hard copy all only show two wire fronts and two wire rears... maybe I'm missing something? but seeing as how I have to read wiring diagrams as a part of my job, I dont think I am. Hence why I said maybe running lights were an option.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Sailor I suggest before running your mouth you go look at the manual you were so quick to call the OP stupid over not being able to read. You'll see that both early and late have 3 wires going to the front turns and they ALL have front running lights. Now you've gone and shoved your whole leg in your mouth!

Also if you knew how to read a wire diagram you'd see that while the green ground does run most of the grounds on the whole bike the high bean and turn signal indicators also use this wire and they are working according to the OP. However the side stand and neutral indicators along with the oil pressure light, coolant temp gauge, fuel level light, and tach all run off the Bl/Bu wire and that's also the wire that supplies power to the turn signal switch so it ties into everything he's been messing with. It's most likely something is messed up with this wire and the first place would be the fuse where this wire gets it's power.

So before jumping on your high horse and telling everyone their stupid and can't be fixed you might want to look in the mirror first and fix yourself.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM
SuperSport

Well like I said, I dont know everything, but if you look at the downloadable PDF manual that wolverine posted, then its a two wire front ran the same as my bike and my hard copy. Then if you look at hawkriders manual it is 3 wire for both the 98 -00, and the after 00 so that is my fault for not checking both manuals. Can you help me get my foot out of my mouth now? haha.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 07-30-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sailorjerry
Everyone keeps saying 3 wire fronts, the diagram shows a 2 wire front, and my bike has a 2 wire front. That being said my 01, my buddy's 98, and his girlfriends 98 all have only two wires fronts also the wiring diagram in the manual here on the forum and my hard copy all only show two wire fronts and two wire rears... maybe I'm missing something?
I guarantee they all came with three wires front from the factory.
May want to look your manual over again... it has three wires on the forum and on your hard copy.

Here's an easier to read color version
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Agree'd!
Partly my fault. I just tried to recheck my link and it was different than when I posted. I wouldn't download someone's .exe file first!! Use Greg's manual link!

Now, it's off to slay the dragon yet again!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
SuperSport

May want to look your manual over again... it has three wires on the forum and on your hard copy.

Here's an easier to read color version

As I stated, I looked over the no download pdf hawkrider posted, and it shows three wires, but unless I was that tired from so much training that wires and started becoming one, if you look at wolverines manual it shows the same as my hard copy two wires.. I wont be able to check that out and give a pitcure of that an my wiring on my bike till I get home. but Either way my bad, I'm human. It happens.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
To the OP..

Id have to guess you have a short to ground..likely at one of the points you cut wires.. the trick will be, did it damage the cluster.

Go back to each place you cut wires...make sure each one is individually insulated and sealed (heat shrink tubing is cheap and works great for this, found at any auto parts store)
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 AM
SuperSport

just so we are all clear, my downloaded PDF from wolverine, this is the wiring diagram, its the same in my manual and my bike, so not all came with running lights, hence my confusion.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP-photo2-medium-.jpg

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP-photo-medium-.jpg
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

As I stated, I looked over the no download pdf hawkrider posted, and it shows three wires, but unless I was that tired from so much training that wires and started becoming one, if you look at wolverines manual it shows the same as my hard copy two wires.. I wont be able to check that out and give a pitcure of that an my wiring on my bike till I get home. but Either way my bad, I'm human. It happens.
It happens for sure! Sucks when it happens on the internets, because it's all archived and available but what can you do? I shoot for being 50% right, because I figure that's a good average...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

BTW my .pdf OEM manual has three wires as well (you can see them on the left there), I have not idea why yours has two, but can definitely see why there's confusion:

Name:  Honda_VTR1000F_Service_Manual371_zpsb7f78df7.jpg
Views: 3650
Size:  89.7 KB
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

just so we are all clear, my downloaded PDF from wolverine, this is the wiring diagram, its the same in my manual and my bike, so not all came with running lights, hence my confusion.

Attachment 15876

Attachment 15877
I'd bet that you just have the wrong wiring diagram, or it is inaccurate. IS it a factory service manual ...or some aftermarket trash? Perhaps some early edition draft?
I know that my bike made in June of 1987 uses three wire, turn signal/ daytime running light indicators.. and the OEM service manual wiring diagram just posted for MY 2000 and later clearly shows three wires..

All Year, all model US delivered VTR1000F use a two filament bulb in the front facing indicators... 12v 23 watt / 8 watt.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-30-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
SuperSport

BTW my .pdf OEM manual has three wires as well (you can see them on the left there), I have not idea why yours has two, but can definitely see why there's confusion:

I am assuming it must have been an option that most bikes had. But hey, I guess we all learned something new today. Everyone was right, and everyone was wrong.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I am assuming it must have been an option that most bikes had. But hey, I guess we all learned something new today. Everyone was right, and everyone was wrong.
It was never an option... there were no options other color and the rear seat cowl.. ALL US VTR1000F were delivered to the dealer with dual filament front facing indicators... 23 watt turn signal, 8 watt daytime running lights.

I think the only thing wrong is the wiring diagram you referenced (you read it correct, it is just wrong for bikes here in the US.)

Now.... as a factoide.. last time I looked it up,, front facing DRL in AU,, could not be Amber (yellow) and as such, motorcycles shipped there did not have the turn signal / running light combo..
Perhaps the wiring diagram YOU have is simply for a different export market.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
MotoGP

Tweety's Wild Thinking

Link on Tweety's site shows two wires for European models (Firestorm). This must be the culprit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP