Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Slow turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
Slow turn signals

Just brought a 2001. Guy said he jump started it from a car because battery was dead. After it was running he noticed that the left turn signal takes a couple / three seconds to start blinking, which he said used to work fine. Any ideas what's up with it? Only thing I can think of is the turn signal relay or a messed up switch. It takes a couple seconds the first time and then gets quicker second time and quicker third time. Then 10 miles down the road it takes 2/3 seconds again.
Thanks for any input.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Squid

superman_006 is on a distinguished road
This uses the same relay (flasher) for the right and left turn signals. I would check for corrosion in the bulb sockets first then inside the switch. If you have a multi-meter you could check for continuity beween ground and the wire that goes from the switch to the flasher. I dont have a wire diagram... but I am sure that someone can let you know what color wire youd be looking for.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
If both the front and rear signals on the left are affected it could be a dirty switch. Take it apart, carefully because of the springs and detent *****, clean it up and lube it lightly. Hope that works.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
+1
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
mines weird sometimes, if the bike isn't warmed up, the blinkers will take up to 30 seconds to start blinking. once I've been riding for a while they come right on. dont think that is a dirty switch problem though, what do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
'Had to jump from a car battery...'

'Worked better after the bike warmed up...'

Slow turn signals, lack of starter motor enthusiasm, odd backfire all went away after I rebuilt the charging system. The big suggestion is to pull the battery and have it load tested. Sure, the signal contacts could be marginal and there is no harm in checking 'em, but if I could wager my bet is on a weak or marginal battery with perhaps an underlaying R/R issue.

Here's hoping it's just contacts, they're a lot cheaper to fix.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
as far as my case the battery is fine, new before winter and been on a tender all winter. R/R just replaced, still slooow reacting turn signals. heck I just went for a ride (it's 80 out right now) and they didnt hesitate at all, button on turn signal on.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Squid

rtinti is on a distinguished road
I have a similar problem on my '98, although it's only a 1 second delay. It hasn't been long enough to bother me. I do have an aftermarket R/R with matching alternator/stator that might be playing havok with the switch or relay.
I figured it was a problem with a relay, and I tend to avoid making changes to my electrical system as its problematic enough.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input from all. Seems that it's working fine now. I think the former owner had it sitting outside all winter under cover and probably some bug climbed up in the switch housing. Maybe that since I'm riding it more than he did, whatever was the problem it came out, be it dirt/bug/?.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
maybe your signals are speed sensitive, slow blinking = slow turn.

just joking
Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
my signals do the same thing and it's pretty much random, sometimes they won't come on for a few minutes, at that point I'm no where near a turn. I think mine is due to dirty contacts since someone used wd40 (I think) when I... uh I mean he was cleaning them a year or so ago.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
hey guys mine do the same.. I left my bike 200 mile away so i coudln't work on it but i was thinking about buying a 3 plug flasher and see if that would work anyone do this before?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Squid

mitchb is on a distinguished road
all went away after I rebuilt the charging system.
Can you give us more details on what you rebuilt? R/R replacement or more than that?

My bike is slowly developing the symptoms you have listed- slow turn signals when cold or damp, and occasional backfire when starting.