Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb questions

Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Squid

bcunning82 is on a distinguished road
Carb questions

So I am working on getting my hawk back in running condition so I can sell it (havent been riding it, and dont have much time to). It has been sitting for 6-8 months.

The bike starts up easily and quickly (with a new battery of course), and idles ok. The second I give it any gas it dies.

I figure that I have some bad fuel in there and that the carbs are probably gunked up. I am planning on draining the tank and bowls and cleaning the carbs by filling the fuel lines with yamaha carb cleaner as discussed in another thread.

My questions is: where are the float bowl drain screws located? Will it be obvious once I take the tank and airbox off? do I have to take the airbox off? Sorry for the noob question, also, does it sound like I am on the right path to getting it running by cleaning the carbs in this fashion and getting some fresh fuel in her.

I really dont want to dump a ton on $$ in it and take it to a shop since I am planning on selling anyway.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
the drain screws are on the bottoms of the float bowls on the bottom of the carbs. look at the carbs from the side and you will see a nipple on each float bowl, just above the are the flat head screws that are you drain screws. you can get to one from the left and one from the right. just loosen them a turn or two.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
also you can get to the fuel lines to put the yamaha carb cleaner by just lifting the front of the tank and disconnecting the fuel lines then support the tank and hook up a funnel to the lines and filling them. Also if you don't want to do all that you could try seafoam in the gas. Put it in the gas the let the bike idle for 10 to 15 minutes. See if it starts running a little better if it will stay running with a little throttle take it for a short ride. Also it wouldn't hurt to get some fresh gas in the tank too.