Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Slipper clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:27 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Slipper clutch?

So I just read an article in MCN that the author owned a VTR1000 that was equipped with a slipper type clutch that built hydraulic pressure when it revved putting pressure on the clutch.

He said that was why the bike wouldn't slip the clutch with higher revs while launching.

Anyone ever heard this? Slipper clutch stock in the VTR causing the terrible clutch grab we all dread?

Makes sense but just wanted to see if anyone has heard this?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:09 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't, but it would interesting to see how it's plumbed, if it exists.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:06 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Sigma Slipper Clutches > Our range of slipper clutches

Honda VTR1000F
Six ramps, wet type. Hard anodised in grey; Clutch centre only. Uses standard clutch friction plates and springs

£580 plus VAT
Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I was doing some spirited riding today and a 35Kph corner was fast approaching as I grabbed a handful of brake and whacked it back to second with a big rev in between , the back wheel chirped and I thought to myself that a slipper clutch would sort that !

I have experienced them on other bikes and they are useful when getting on with it .

Shame the conversion rate is so bad at the moment !
Old 10-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
never heard that before, and dont believe it at all
Looking at the parts in my hand as I type this.... just no,,,, not a slipper clutch in any way, nor any path for "hydraulic" pressure to be applied.

Id love to have this expert point out the component parts that he feels allow the clutch to slip on decel , but not acceleration... and what design feature he is stating is a hydraulic anything to do with the clutch and how it provides additional clamp load..

Im happy to learn something here...but in this case i think that "author" is smoking crack..or speaking about a differnt bike.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So I just read an article in MCN that the author owned a VTR1000 that was equipped with a slipper type clutch that built hydraulic pressure when it revved putting pressure on the clutch.

He said that was why the bike wouldn't slip the clutch with higher revs while launching.

Anyone ever heard this? Slipper clutch stock in the VTR causing the terrible clutch grab we all dread?

Makes sense but just wanted to see if anyone has heard this?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:57 PM
MotoGP

Yeah Erik I agree, just thought that was odd to read. Hard to imagine anyone would install a slipper clutch (whether its even possible)
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah Erik I agree, just thought that was odd to read. Hard to imagine anyone would install a slipper clutch (whether its even possible)
$849.80 and it can be all yours .
Easy 60 min install.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

LOL, you weighed in on this clutch some time ago...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...49/#post382105
Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 AM
Squid

Marc Jackson is on a distinguished road
After just starting to read the patent on the Adler APTC slipper clutch which DOES allow the clutch to slip on decel, but not acceleration, this is standard behavior for a slipper clutch.
The hydrolic part is the Servo, standard in a Ducati Panigale, it applies additional pressure to the clutch plates to increase friction, nothing special about that either.

The clutch currently being designed which also uses a servo to both actuate the clutch and increase friction is electro-hyrdolic actuated, ie a MOOG servo valve, advanced but still conventioal will slip the clutch on down shifts but allow engine breaking, this is the novel feature to this clutch. The advantage to this is weight savings, it doesn't take any additional components apart from the existing servo to implement this functionality, just some software which weights alot!!

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
never heard that before, and dont believe it at all
Looking at the parts in my hand as I type this.... just no,,,, not a slipper clutch in any way, nor any path for "hydraulic" pressure to be applied.

Id love to have this expert point out the component parts that he feels allow the clutch to slip on decel , but not acceleration... and what design feature he is stating is a hydraulic anything to do with the clutch and how it provides additional clamp load..

Im happy to learn something here...but in this case i think that "author" is smoking crack..or speaking about a differnt bike.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I think you misunderstood my response..
We were discussing the VTR1000F clutch, which in no way shape or form is a slipper clutch, nor does it use hydraulic pressure to increase clamp load>

I did not say or imply such a clutch system did not exist..in production already or in development .

Thanks for the insight into what is out there in the big wide automotive world.

Originally Posted by Marc Jackson
After just starting to read the patent on the Adler APTC slipper clutch which DOES allow the clutch to slip on decel, but not acceleration, this is standard behavior for a slipper clutch.
The hydrolic part is the Servo, standard in a Ducati Panigale, it applies additional pressure to the clutch plates to increase friction, nothing special about that either.

The clutch currently being designed which also uses a servo to both actuate the clutch and increase friction is electro-hyrdolic actuated, ie a MOOG servo valve, advanced but still conventioal will slip the clutch on down shifts but allow engine breaking, this is the novel feature to this clutch. The advantage to this is weight savings, it doesn't take any additional components apart from the existing servo to implement this functionality, just some software which weights alot!!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

Right so my initial query was whether such a hydraulic system was possibly stock on the vtr explaining the super grabby clutch we all know and don't love.

Possibly the guy writing the article actually installed the slipper clutch himself.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
NZSpokes mentioned a guy he knows that had a VTR1000F with a slipper clutch. If I remeber correctly, he used parts from the CBR900RR. NZSpokes was going to find out how he made the slipper clutch work, but that was the last I heard about it.

EDIT: I think this is where I got my info. Posts #22 & #23
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...g-noise-32563/

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 10-03-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Slipper clutches are nice, but if your bike doesn't have one (AKA, VTR), your hand becomes your slipper clutch.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:04 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
a POOR mans slipper clutch set the idle up to 1800 rpms when riding hard set it back down after done if you do not like high idle when putting around in town but I did check out the site here is the install instructions for the one they have listed for a VTR 1000f

http://www.slipperclutchs.com/pics/p...structions.pdf

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Hond...er_Clutch.html

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Hond...er_Clutch.html

Last edited by Stumpy; 10-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.