Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Slipper clutch?

Old 10-01-2016, 09:27 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,915
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Slipper clutch?

So I just read an article in MCN that the author owned a VTR1000 that was equipped with a slipper type clutch that built hydraulic pressure when it revved putting pressure on the clutch.

He said that was why the bike wouldn't slip the clutch with higher revs while launching.

Anyone ever heard this? Slipper clutch stock in the VTR causing the terrible clutch grab we all dread?

Makes sense but just wanted to see if anyone has heard this?
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 10-01-2016, 10:09 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
thetophatflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nooksack WA
Posts: 831
thetophatflash
I haven't, but it would interesting to see how it's plumbed, if it exists.
thetophatflash is offline  
Old 10-02-2016, 02:06 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Wicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,632
Wicky is on a distinguished road
Sigma Slipper Clutches > Our range of slipper clutches

Honda VTR1000F
Six ramps, wet type. Hard anodised in grey; Clutch centre only. Uses standard clutch friction plates and springs

580 plus VAT
Wicky is offline  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,524
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I was doing some spirited riding today and a 35Kph corner was fast approaching as I grabbed a handful of brake and whacked it back to second with a big rev in between , the back wheel chirped and I thought to myself that a slipper clutch would sort that !

I have experienced them on other bikes and they are useful when getting on with it .

Shame the conversion rate is so bad at the moment !
kenmoore is offline  
Old 10-02-2016, 04:45 PM
  #5  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 4,217
E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
never heard that before, and dont believe it at all
Looking at the parts in my hand as I type this.... just no,,,, not a slipper clutch in any way, nor any path for "hydraulic" pressure to be applied.

Id love to have this expert point out the component parts that he feels allow the clutch to slip on decel , but not acceleration... and what design feature he is stating is a hydraulic anything to do with the clutch and how it provides additional clamp load..


Im happy to learn something here...but in this case i think that "author" is smoking crack..or speaking about a differnt bike.


Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 View Post
So I just read an article in MCN that the author owned a VTR1000 that was equipped with a slipper type clutch that built hydraulic pressure when it revved putting pressure on the clutch.

He said that was why the bike wouldn't slip the clutch with higher revs while launching.

Anyone ever heard this? Slipper clutch stock in the VTR causing the terrible clutch grab we all dread?

Makes sense but just wanted to see if anyone has heard this?
E.Marquez is offline  
Old 10-02-2016, 06:57 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,915
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah Erik I agree, just thought that was odd to read. Hard to imagine anyone would install a slipper clutch (whether its even possible)
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 AM
  #7  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 4,217
E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 View Post
Yeah Erik I agree, just thought that was odd to read. Hard to imagine anyone would install a slipper clutch (whether its even possible)
$849.80 and it can be all yours .
Easy 60 min install.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=all

LOL, you weighed in on this clutch some time ago...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...49/#post382105
E.Marquez is offline  
Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1
Marc Jackson is on a distinguished road
After just starting to read the patent on the Adler APTC slipper clutch which DOES allow the clutch to slip on decel, but not acceleration, this is standard behavior for a slipper clutch.
The hydrolic part is the Servo, standard in a Ducati Panigale, it applies additional pressure to the clutch plates to increase friction, nothing special about that either.

The clutch currently being designed which also uses a servo to both actuate the clutch and increase friction is electro-hyrdolic actuated, ie a MOOG servo valve, advanced but still conventioal will slip the clutch on down shifts but allow engine breaking, this is the novel feature to this clutch. The advantage to this is weight savings, it doesn't take any additional components apart from the existing servo to implement this functionality, just some software which weights alot!!

Originally Posted by E.Marquez View Post
never heard that before, and dont believe it at all
Looking at the parts in my hand as I type this.... just no,,,, not a slipper clutch in any way, nor any path for "hydraulic" pressure to be applied.

Id love to have this expert point out the component parts that he feels allow the clutch to slip on decel , but not acceleration... and what design feature he is stating is a hydraulic anything to do with the clutch and how it provides additional clamp load..


Im happy to learn something here...but in this case i think that "author" is smoking crack..or speaking about a differnt bike.
Marc Jackson is offline  
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM
  #9  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 4,217
E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I think you misunderstood my response..
We were discussing the VTR1000F clutch, which in no way shape or form is a slipper clutch, nor does it use hydraulic pressure to increase clamp load>

I did not say or imply such a clutch system did not exist..in production already or in development .

Thanks for the insight into what is out there in the big wide automotive world.


Originally Posted by Marc Jackson View Post
After just starting to read the patent on the Adler APTC slipper clutch which DOES allow the clutch to slip on decel, but not acceleration, this is standard behavior for a slipper clutch.
The hydrolic part is the Servo, standard in a Ducati Panigale, it applies additional pressure to the clutch plates to increase friction, nothing special about that either.

The clutch currently being designed which also uses a servo to both actuate the clutch and increase friction is electro-hyrdolic actuated, ie a MOOG servo valve, advanced but still conventioal will slip the clutch on down shifts but allow engine breaking, this is the novel feature to this clutch. The advantage to this is weight savings, it doesn't take any additional components apart from the existing servo to implement this functionality, just some software which weights alot!!
E.Marquez is offline  
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
smokinjoe73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,915
smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Right so my initial query was whether such a hydraulic system was possibly stock on the vtr explaining the super grabby clutch we all know and don't love.

Possibly the guy writing the article actually installed the slipper clutch himself.
smokinjoe73 is offline  
Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 PM
  #11  
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike
 
CruxGNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 2,312
CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
NZSpokes mentioned a guy he knows that had a VTR1000F with a slipper clutch. If I remeber correctly, he used parts from the CBR900RR. NZSpokes was going to find out how he made the slipper clutch work, but that was the last I heard about it.

EDIT: I think this is where I got my info. Posts #22 & #23
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...g-noise-32563/

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 10-03-2016 at 07:37 PM.
CruxGNZ is offline  
Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Otto Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 240
Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Slipper clutches are nice, but if your bike doesn't have one (AKA, VTR), your hand becomes your slipper clutch.
Otto Man is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:04 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison Wisconsin
Posts: 639
Stumpy is on a distinguished road
a POOR mans slipper clutch set the idle up to 1800 rpms when riding hard set it back down after done if you do not like high idle when putting around in town but I did check out the site here is the install instructions for the one they have listed for a VTR 1000f


http://www.slipperclutchs.com/pics/p...structions.pdf


http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Hond...er_Clutch.html


http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Hond...er_Clutch.html

Last edited by Stumpy; 10-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Stumpy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Stumpy
General Discussion
17
10-09-2016 12:41 AM
E.Marquez
Modifications - Performance
3
08-01-2016 04:13 PM
Thumper
General Discussion
26
04-09-2014 09:31 PM
mikstr
Modifications - Performance
12
10-14-2011 08:36 PM
patience
Motorcycle News
7
04-13-2010 10:31 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slipper clutch?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.