Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

She lives..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
She lives..

Hey Guys
..Before I go any further, some of you experienced guys..check out the post by Saxman..sounds like CCT trouble..what about the gear skip..let's help the new guy..
..Anyway got mine back together and fired up..bafflectomy, shimmed carbs..TPS set to spec..APE CCTs installed..new air cleaner..you know what..it is crisper..right there in the shop..I can actually tell..amazing..this is all from you all on this site..take a bow..thank you guys...It was a challenge to do it..but it's dead of winter here still..good stuff..can't wait to put it on the road in the spring..who hoo..I'm pumped..I'm a 58 yr old pastor for pete's sake..can't wait ride again

Take Care
Dave:-D
Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Excellent, Hope she purrs like a kitten, and roars like a tiger,,,er or something like that...LOL
Old 01-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear all went well.
Now just pray for some nice weather.

Oh, and she might have more tendency to look toward heaven when you let loose the thunder.

Enjoy
Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Good news.
Hope you get to enjoy it the "new ride" safely and with a big grin on your face.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on getting it all back together & running better than ever! Bet it roars w/ the baffles out... hope you don't get excommunicated.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I know how you feel Dave. My rebuild has taken just under 3 years, and I finally did the last bit of assembly and washed it last Sunday. It was a great feeling.

I went for a half hour ride, came home, and parked it, and then thought
"It's not running right". I did all the engine tuning before doing the painting so it had been running nicely.

I thought it was the fuel pump malfunctioning, but it seems like it is the pump overpowering the needle and seat for the floats, so I have to check them out to see if that is the problem. Honda mechanic reckons after 77000km they are the problem.

But it was good for that half hour ride!!!

PS. The fuel pump is one I added myself. I did it for insurance to ensure good fuel flow. Revolution Racing in the UK reckon as soon as you start to increase performance on the VTR they starve for fuel a bit.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Back Marker

She lives

Hey Shayne;
Amazing to talk with an enthusiast so far away, share the same passion. We are deep winter here so riding is still several months away. I'm surprised to hear of fuel starvation. When I look at the size of the gas lines from pet-**** to carb on the VTR it's seems unlikely that they wouldn't move enough gas..Those big 48's must move some serious fuel. Does your pump run when the key is on. If the float bowls aren't handling the pressure you could fill a cylinder with gas..The ensuing hydro-lock could cause grief..beware. I could not believe the responsiveness of the engine after the mod's and ajustments I made. .The single biggest thing was the decline of force needed to turn engine over after installing the APE's CCT's..The cam chains were absolutely tight stock..only 7000 k.m.'s on bike...That much friction can't be a good thing..

Ride Safe
Dave
Old 01-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
hey dave,
Was wondering if you could tell me what you set your carbs to after rebuilding. I have been rebuilding mine for a while and dont remember what I had the Idle set on. If you could shed any light on my issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Back Marker

She lives..

I'm still a rookie with this bike, but have been riding since the 60's. So..I have really just followed the lead on this site. Here's what I did..

New Stock Air Filter... a mouse had made some serious mess inside
Set the Throttle Position Sensor to 507 ohmns at closed throttle
Shimmed the stock carb needle valves .040
Idle speed is 1200 rpm
Set low speed idle jets 2 turns out from closed

I have not road tested it yet..deep winter here.. but it snapped up on throttle much crisper than it did before..not in my mind..a noticable difference... I think the loss of friction on the Cam Chains is part..removing baffles a small part..but carb work..including TPS..may be the main difference.

Take Care
Dave:-D