Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Seeping clutch bleeder screw on Oberon slave.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 03:15 PM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Seeping clutch bleeder screw on Oberon slave.

Just installed and bled the Oberon slave cylinder and noticed I'm getting a slow seepage/leak around the bleeder screw on the slave. Took it off to check if it may have been crossed threaded during manufacturing. Looks fine. I believe teflon tape in this application is a no no. Any thoughts on another sealant? Thanks for the input.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Back Marker

Also I realize that the threads are not what makes the seal but just looking for suggestions..thk
Old 05-16-2020, 06:25 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
If you have buggered threads, I'd pull the slave and perform a proper fix. I'm not sure if you can get a larger bleeder to re-tap the hole but I'd look into it. Any chance of getting a replacement if that was a factory flaw?
Old 05-16-2020, 07:50 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I would contact Oberon before making any repairs. The conical seal at the base of the screw and in the body should seal perfectly. If they don't there is an issue the manufacturer will stand behind.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Back Marker

Yeah I'm not going for the repair myself. I have an email into Oberon to see what they say. I definitely did not over tighten after bleeding etc. Curiously tho it seemed to have stopped. Possible fluid on the threads "walking up" ( for lack of a better term) the screw after tightening? Haven't ridden it tho.. Maybe the hawk is fixing itself! Now if it would only install the Samco hose kit...
Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Why is at least yellow Teflon tape a no-no? Aftermarket fluid-applied thread sealant are also available.

Many OEM hydraulic bleed nipples come pre-treated with a non-hardening, reusable thread sealant. It's common practice, as nipple threads and port seats wear even without over tightening after not so many cycles, as DOT 3/4 is a poor lubricant. And even with regular, proper flushing / bleeding, electrolytic cathodic related corrosion caused by water as the electrolyte, due to the fluid being hydrophobic, also can cause seepage, and worse, air entry into the lowest point in the system.

Last edited by skokievtr; 05-17-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Why is at least yellow Teflon tape a no-no?
Because if it NEEDS thread sealant tape, its damaged, wrong, not correct. The end of the bleeder screw has a tapered seal, that mates to the tapered seal on the body, they are designed to mate and seal.
Thread sealant on a bleeder screw is used so you can bleed air from the system and not have air come past the threads,,,its not there to seal fluid hydraulic pressure
Old 05-17-2020, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

Erik, yes in a perfect world that'd be correct. But as we all know, this is far from perfect planet, and some times expediency rules. Especially when time, money, and/or parts availability are in short supply. I add thread sealant for the second reason you mention, so when bleeding the system (usually with a vacuum bleeder), air is not sucked in past the threads, which is primarily the "wear" I was originally talking about.

Now if it would just stop raining here...
Old 05-17-2020, 05:57 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Erik, yes in a perfect world that'd be correct. But as we all know, this is far from perfect planet, and some times expediency rules. Especially when time, money, and/or parts availability are in short supply. I add thread sealant for the second reason you mention, so when bleeding the system (usually with a vacuum bleeder), air is not sucked in past the threads, which is primarily the "wear" I was originally talking about.

Now if it would just stop raining here...
To each his own..If I had a new part that was faulty Id deal with the part supplier, not some bodge "fix"
But I get it, some only care about riding today....
Old 05-17-2020, 10:47 PM
SuperBike

I wasn't referring to teflon taping a new part, particularly one with an extended warranty. I was speaking in general terms for components out of warranty that are otherwise servicable, especially hard to find and/or expensive components. Now in the case of rebuilding a VTR clutch slave, it's actually cheaper to buy the Oberon that provides better response and presumably reliability.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Back Marker

So it is continuing to leak. It's incredibly slow but there. Drained the system and looked again at the screw. As I was replacening it there is clearly something wrong with the threads. So I think the screw is setting not flush. The screw sort of rocks back and forth is it goes in. The threads don't look damaged just cut wrong? So far nothing from Oberon. Anyone else have luck contacting them? I know things are different nowadays but they sent it out incredibly fast. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 PM
Back Marker

Old 05-19-2020, 02:41 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Bleeder looks bent too.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Bleeder screw may be fine...threads in the slave may be the issue. I'd want a whole new assembly.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jefejrs
So it is continuing to leak. It's incredibly slow but there. Drained the system and looked again at the screw. As I was replacening it there is clearly something wrong with the threads. So I think the screw is setting not flush. The screw sort of rocks back and forth is it goes in. The threads don't look damaged just cut wrong? So far nothing from Oberon. Anyone else have luck contacting them? I know things are different nowadays but they sent it out incredibly fast. Thanks.
Its been a few months, but I got back responses same or next day when I was asking about spares, service and such
Old 05-23-2020, 04:17 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I'd want a replacement unit too. Something just ain't right and it appears the bleeder screw and slave threads look undamaged, no?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Screw is undersized thread, tapped hole is over sized thread, or both.

If you have a bleeder nipple from something else Id try it to see if it fits better , better yet if you have that and a thread chace or even a screw of same thread size/pitch to screw into the slave and check against a known good thread standard.
Did you buy direct from Oberon or a dealer?

I toyed with becoming a dealer but decided against it in the end
Old 05-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Back Marker

Thanks all for the suggestions. Just an update. After about 5 or so unanswered emails to both the contact us link and the admin email. I got a response. They claimed they couldn't see the video on their computer (is that even possible now days). I guess they might have my Tandy from 6th grade. Anyways they asked for still pics. Not sure how to get the message across with stills.

My response was to describe how to find the video on YouTube and perhaps use a different computer or phone. That was Friday. No response as of yet.

I have tried a few different screws (bleeders and regular screws) and best I can figure the bleeder is a 8m 1.25. I have what seems to be a perfect match coming from eBay tomorrow. We shall see.

Still being patient in this difficult time and this is definitely small potatoes, but if you're open and taking money, you're open. Just my experience but if you buy one and need something.....might be out of luck.

In answer to your question Erik. I bought it from Oberon directly. You may have dodged a headache by passing on a being a dealer.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Thanks all for the suggestions. Just an update. After about 5 or so unanswered emails to both the contact us link and the admin email. I got a response. They claimed they couldn't see the video on their computer (is that even possible now days). I guess they might have my Tandy from 6th grade. .
Post it to drop box then share the link...
Make a couple of shorter vids and send them directly though mail
Old 05-26-2020, 03:49 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
While I might be a bit of a rebel regarding this issue. I might recommend packing the damn thing up, sending it back, along with all of the information you've gleaned from us great unwashed. Send it so that there has to be a signature when rec'd. I know it's not a terribly expensive item, it's the fookin' principle of the matter now. I love my Oberon, it was perfect upon arrival. On the other hand there's nothing that is 100% If they are using COVID19 as an excuse, shame on them.

Rant over.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:01 PM
Back Marker

Just an update. Oberon did finally answer and did send out a warranty replacement. Response was slow but I imagine they would do better under different circumstances. They do want the old unit. They said to just ship it out. Sent an email regarding a shipping label. Let's see how long it takes for a response to that. Not sure I need to be on the hook for return shipping regarding a warranty return...
Old 04-19-2024, 03:14 PM
Squid

Louisreese is on a distinguished road
For sealing a seeping clutch bleeder screw on the Oberon slave cylinder, considering that Teflon tape might not be suitable, you can try using a thread sealant specifically designed for hydraulic applications. Products like Loctite 545 or Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant can provide a reliable seal without risking contamination of the hydraulic system. Make sure to clean the threads thoroughly before applying the sealant and follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results with the new oberon extractor.

Last edited by Louisreese; 04-19-2024 at 03:42 PM.