Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Is running two different kind of tires on the front/rear a big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Squid

sorny is on a distinguished road
Is running two different kind of tires on the front/rear a big deal?

I just bought my 05 SH 2 weeks ago and it came with a pretty decent front tire (a Pirelli Diablo) and brand new Michelin Pilot 2CT. The 2CT looks more aggressive than the front so I'm not sure if its dangerous or not. I'm just street riding and not dragging or knee or anything.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
You'll probably find people that mix tires and swear it's fine. It's not, carcass and sidewall construction can be vastly different. I have never mixed and never would. I realize you may not be a knee dragger but that's not the point!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Yes it's fine, No never, it depends.

There you go that about covers it.

And car tires on big cruisers should never be done either, its dangerous.. just ask the thousands of folks that put hundreds of thousands of miles on them...

Profile, carcass design, compound different for every set of tires, even in the same brand, same "size"
Mixing will get you varied results and some possible unstable riding characteristics..

Dangerous? well sure it could be...... maybe. At the least it will be different and in need of lots of riding time to feel them out.

If you have 4" chicken strips and have never used your brakes to just prior to lock up... You'll never notice the difference.. use any tire that has tread and holds air.

Personally... I don't mix.. I will at times mount up a second rear, same brand, size, model, compound to go with a partially worn front when running fast wearing soft tires... and the set is only a few months old. But even then that is a rarity.

I want as much as the tires can offer me in stability, predictability and excess performance beyond what i normally need.. so that there is some reserve....and so when I push past the tires limits.. they slide predictably with control. ( I loooove slide my bike when the opportunity is at hand)

Folks have been mixing tires since the first radial came out.. and it goes on today as well.. But with so many shops selling tires at lost leader prices... I see no reason to.

Just mounted new tires yesterday.... Ummmm fresh shoes waiting on plastic to go back together..

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-23-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Squid

Yeah I think I'm ready to order a matching 2CT for the front. Tread design is much prettier anyways. That's a little more important than grip and stability.

I changed my last tire myself by using the zip tie method and it took zero tools or tire changing stands or anything, just zip ties and a large flat head screw driver. I think the 2CT front is just like $110 or so... at least the rear is the new one and the front is the one I'd be changing.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Right now I have a Bridgestone BT023 rear and a Metz Z6 front. Absolutely no weird handling issues AT ALL (and I ain't a back marker!). Run it for a while and be easy like you just put on fresh greasy donuts.
I am not running different brands on purpose. I spent the last 13 years faithful to Metzeler. The Z6 rear will give up traction after about 5k miles but still has 3k left in tread. I switched rears not long after mounting up a fresh (usually 10K) front. Why waist a good front??
Old 06-23-2013, 04:26 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sorny
I just bought my 05 SH 2 weeks ago and it came with a pretty decent front tire (a Pirelli Diablo) and brand new Michelin Pilot 2CT. The 2CT looks more aggressive than the front so I'm not sure if its dangerous or not. I'm just street riding and not dragging or knee or anything.
I may be interested in the pirelli if its CHEAP

Last edited by Wolverine; 06-23-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Its fine. You should notice any issues pretty quick, dont go squishy sidewall one end and stiff in the other or touring & race, but 2 similar tires should be ok. Like bridgestone & dunlop are similar in stiffness, and pirelli & michelin are similar in soft sidewalls so should work.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by jerryh
I may be interested in the pirelli if its CHEAP
I'll definitely keep that in mind. I checked my extra cash fund and it's down to about $3.00 so I think I'm riding on the old Diablo for a little while. But when I get a new one, if this one isn't too bald, I'll definitely let you have at it.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Its fine. You should notice any issues pretty quick, dont go squishy sidewall one end and stiff in the other or touring & race, but 2 similar tires should be ok. Like bridgestone & dunlop are similar in stiffness, and pirelli & michelin are similar in soft sidewalls so should work.
I think they're both pretty racey...the 2CT might be a little more extreme than the Pirelli Diablo but the Diablo isn't the cruiser looking one, it's like this:
Amazon.com: Pirelli Diablo Front Tire - 120/70ZR-17/--: Automotive Amazon.com: Pirelli Diablo Front Tire - 120/70ZR-17/--: Automotive
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Joe you just validated what I told the guy, carcass and sidewall can be vastly different. He may be lucky with Pirelli and Michelin though I honestly don't know. But suppose it was pirelli and Bridgestone..can;t think of a bigger mismatch.

You as a racer know full well you don't mix!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, its about construction. Those 2 ought to get along fine, but be aware of pressure variances. On race tires, dunlop rears want 29 compared to pirellis wanting 21 which would be huge on the street.

This is really one of those myths. It would be more accurate if someone would give first hand (not hearsay) stories of disasters due to mismatched tires.

Like tire plugs. Every swears dont do it but it mostly brainwashing by stealerships who will scare you into buying a tire from them (shock).

I have like 40,000 miles on plugged tires so have concrete proof that its ok. I have yet to meet someone who has concrete proof otherwise. Not one.

Same with this. Someone step up and tell me firsthand how you are sure something bad happened with mixed brands. No one has such a story. Its a myth. Like public enemy says, dont believe the hype.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Squid

I'm running mid 30's pressure wise on the street. Is that a bad idea?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM
SuperBike

Geez Joe,

Your first paragraph said to beware of mismatched tires. Then you go off on tire plugs and say you have 40k miles on a plugged tire. That may be but you don't have 40k on a motorcycle tire.

I raced in the 70's I have 3 WERA Championships, I worked for American Honda for 15 years including crewing the 1991 Commonwealth Team that saw Miguel DuHamel win the Daytona 200 and me putting Sadowski on the box in the SuperSport race which DuHamel also won.

I try not to get into controversy on this site but I will ask you this, have you ever mixed tires on the racetrack, not compounds but tires.

Last edited by HRCA#1; 06-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, 40 grand on plugged motorcylce tires year round, sun, rain, snow, etc.

I havent raced on 2 different brands, but never claimed to and this guy isnt racing.

Think of this. You change fork springs, shocks, wheelbase, fork tube hight, all that stuff, and you thing 2 different tires are the missing link?

So back to empiracle evidence. HRCA, no one in the 70s ran 2 different tires?

Do you have first hand evidence of a failure or crash that was no doubt due to 2 tire brands?

I mean if each tire is manufactured to hold up its end of the bargain, how could catastrophic failure happen in this way? Would 2 brands of suspension cause the same crash(which never happened)?

How can the laws of physics be put on hold if 2 dunlops can carry you & same with 2 bridgestones, how can one tire know to fail if it cant talk to the other?

I am not saying its ideal, but think back on your riding career, was your equipment always ideal? If you could cobble together a bike, you would.

I dont recomend doing it but these are similar tires and like I said, no proof of the missing link.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
have you ever mixed tires on the racetrack, not compounds but tires.
He isn't riding on the track so how/why does it matter?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

For the reasons I started with carcass and sidewall construction, and add to that tread pattern in the wet.

And no Joe no one I knew raced different brand tires, I still don't no anyone that does including you!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
will running two different brand tires make you crash?

no

might you be saved from a crash when you make a dumb mistake if you had ponied up for a rear tire that matches your front fire in grip ?

....well I might have, your mileage may vary
Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Sorry to thread jack but its along the same lines. When I got my hawk it had Pir angles on front and back. The back was pretty bald and I replaced it with a Mich PR3. I'm looking to replace the front soon. Would you all recommend the PR3 to match or the PP3 for grip. I've noticed that the PP3 are pretty popular around here...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Superstock

Pilot Road 3 (PR3) is completely different from Pilot Power 3 (PP3)

I've run both tires...the PP3 is a wonderful (but expensive) tire that has almost as much grip on the sides as a Q2 but lasts a long time...the PR3 is a good tire for long distance touring but if you regularly get all the way over on it or ride aggressively it will heat up and get greasy.

My roommate has 7000 miles on his set of PP3s on his Ducati 999...pretty incredible, I have 4500 miles on the set I bought at the same time
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

That reminds me, I have bridgestones on now (023) but my front is low so already bought a dunlop roadsmart. So soon I will tell exacly how it works.

But of course thes are very similar stiff sidewall tires so should get along as well as the softsided pirelli and michelin.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Superstock

Hmmm... I'm not a canyon carver, but I am thinking about a track day soon. Worth replacing the fresh PR with PP when I do change the front and sell off the PR? Advise please? You guys far surpas me and my limited experience
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, for a track day its worth going with ppowers. They are more sport oriented. And for the track go same front and back. Mr Duhamel would want it that way.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
SuperBike

Actually Mr DuHamel was on Dunlops!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
MotoGP

Dunlops are my favorite too. Always like Duhamel. Same taste in chicks as me too, Chinese wife (me). He had a hot girlfriend Lenaya or something
Old 06-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Superstock

If you're going to do a track day get a PP "2CT" version...the original pilot power front is ok, but the rear sucks, it will get hot, greasy, and no matter how much pressure you put in it it will move around and flex once it's heated up...

I would just go with PP3 not PP2CT unless you get an incredibly cheap price on the 2CTs
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I ran PP on novice & Int trackdays...no issues. 32/32? iirc
Later, I ran PP front and PR2 rear at a trackday. Int pace. no issues. on my cbr1100xx.

PP3 replaces the Power Pures. Very trackday-ish tire.
I got 3k+miles from a set of PP, mostly street miles and a few trackdays on them.
Q2's are another great street tire that can also be a great TD tire.
ymmv
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Superstock

I just spooned on a PP3 front tonight, I have a PR3 on the rear. I'll post back once I get it on the road. Its replacing a Pir Angel that was on its wear bars.