Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

rpm hang-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
i tried the factory air filter and still the same condition exists. i now have the air cleaner assembly off and was about test for any leaks. so i cracked the throttle a couple times and am currently wondering if the slides should shudder somewhat violently when doing so? or should it be somewhat smooth?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

i dont think there is a leak. just for reference, how much of a change in rpm should occur? 50, 100, 200. or is it a different tone of idle?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:05 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
the honda d shaped air/fuel tool comes with all the factory pro jet kits ( i think ) see if anybody is in your area & has one you can borrow and turn your a/f screws out. try 1/2 & a time.

a too lean condition can cause detonation & if you live in a hot area i'd think about running 1 octane grade higher. it will also run a little hotter - so watch the temp gauge.

tim
Old 08-10-2008, 09:22 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
One of the many things that can cause such a thing is bad seating valves, check if the idle is cranked up to compensate for bad compression, the throttle usually uncover the pilot jet hole, restoring compression and reducing the idle opening back to normal would cure it.
When were the valves last adjusted ??
Is it ok when cold ??
Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

the carbs are now off. and it is very tempting to just dremel a slot. i dont know any other honda riders in my area. i guess i could ask the local dealership(the place i go to feel like i am from another planet) for a loaner. it has 8,000 mi so i hope it is not valves already. it is apart so it might be a good time to check. oh yeah! i almost forgot. inpecting the carb boots i notice that the aluminum ring has almost an egg shape to it. is this normal? gonna have a look at the jets
Old 08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Uh where are you from ?? You have a restricted version ??
My boots are empty

8000 mi, not very likely to be the valves, but check you throttle opening, you should see only the idle hole inside the throttle, if the throttle rest past the pilot (second) hole, something aint right, it may be a jetting issue too.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Back Marker

can i remove the rings? i am in utah. i bought it in utah. dont know where it was originally purchased. check the throttle at the clip-on? sorry if that sounds daft.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

For the throttle, since you have the carbs off the bike it's easy to check where the throttle blade sits at idle position, there is two holes one from the idle gas circuit and one from the pilot circuit, the idle is definitely on the inside (motor side) and the pilot hole should not be on the inside (idle screw holding the throttle opened too far and exposing the pilot circuit to the manifold vacuum)
For the rings, there are restrictors for this bikes, I know they are used in France, Australia to restrict the power NASCAR style, but it should affect the bike's jetting. I have no metal parts on my carb boots, they are just plain rubber, if you take them off, prepare to jet the carbs.

Last edited by gboezio; 08-10-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:32 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blupleous
inpecting the carb boots i notice that the aluminum ring has almost an egg shape to it.
Are you talking about something inside the boots, or the clamps on the outside that connect the boots to the carbs and also the intake manifold?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Back Marker

they have an aluminum ring inside the boots. upon further inspection i found the shape to match right up to the intake manifold. i have it all back together now. i dremeled a flat slot in the pilot screw's and backed them out 1/2 a turn each. they were set to manual spec so currently they are 1/2 beyond that. there is noticeable improvement. should i turn more or go up in jet size? it is the main jet