Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

New guy with problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Squid

Pitt3265 is on a distinguished road
New guy with problem

Greetings,I just bought a 1998 Superhawk last week after selling my Kawasaki concours. What a difference!!! I love the bike however today I had a problem. Went for a ride with my friend and stopped to take something inside to my wife. Came outside and the bike wouldnt start. Weak battery. Bump started it and away we went. After an hour of riding we stop again and again I have to bump start it. The battery didnt charge. One way home the tach quit when I was sitting at idle, then the digital trip meter. They came back online as I was moving but kept quitting. Any idea what the deal is? Bike has 9500 miles and was immactulatly cared for. Any help will be much appreciated
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pitt3265
Greetings,I just bought a 1998 Superhawk last week after selling my Kawasaki concours. What a difference!!! I love the bike however today I had a problem. Went for a ride with my friend and stopped to take something inside to my wife. Came outside and the bike wouldnt start. Weak battery. Bump started it and away we went. After an hour of riding we stop again and again I have to bump start it. The battery didnt charge. One way home the tach quit when I was sitting at idle, then the digital trip meter. They came back online as I was moving but kept quitting. Any idea what the deal is? Bike has 9500 miles and was immactulatly cared for. Any help will be much appreciated

Chk the battery.. voltage sitting there
then chk the battery voltage at 5k rpm should be like 15 V. its detailed in the service manual.

which you can find here....
http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...e%20Manual.pdf

Your R/R=Regulstor/Rectifier may be going bad the bike is known for it .....

Goood luck!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Throw a volt meter on your battery and see what it reads. It sounds like a R/R is shot. Common problem on Hawks. If you do a search on them it will turn up all sort of info for you.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Squid

regulator

Any ideas where to get a regualto/rectifier besides ebay?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Squid

clarkwebb is on a distinguished road
That's exactly what happened when my rectifier went out. I went to mrcycles to get the part number and then ordered it from service honda, I think. Which everone was cheaper.

http://www.servicehonda.com/

http://www.mrcycles.com/
Old 08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
That's exactly what happened to me too and swapped out the r/r and problem solved. It was awhile ago I think I got mine off ebay. Welcome aboard!!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Superstock

Any shop should be able to get you one.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Squid

R/R

One question. I charged the battey and the bike started fine. Should Inot ride it till I replace the RR? Also, the RR thats in the bike is aftermarket it think cause it has cooling fins. COuld this still be the problem? Thanks guys. This is just like the Concours Owners Group cept the bike is much niceer!!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
One question. I charged the battey and the bike started fine. Should Inot ride it till I replace the RR? Also, the RR thats in the bike is aftermarket it think cause it has cooling fins. COuld this still be the problem? Thanks guys. This is just like the Concours Owners Group cept the bike is much niceer!!
i would def. not ride the bike until you find out if your R/R is ok. due to the fact that you can
FRY all your elecvtrical and be out hundreds of dollars fixin it
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
even the finned ones sometimes fail. start it up and measure your voltages on the battery at idle and at 5500rpm and report back.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
the finned RR could still be a honda part. my 98 came with an un-finned rr but when it went to ****, i got another one from honda and it had fins. no problems with that one for three years and counting. and yeah i'd replace it before riding again.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Squid

Results

Ok guys, Since im a mechanical moron, my fater in law came over and measured the voltage. When the bike is off the battery reads 12.3 volts due to the fact that I had it on a charger when i got home. At idle, 2000rpm and 5000rpm, the voltage fluctuated to 12.4- 12.6volts. No difference between idle and revs
Old 08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Superstock

Either your r/r is completly dead, or it took your stator out too. To check your stator you will need to do a resistance test across a couple of wires. Take a look in the manaul that is on this site for how to do this and what the numbers should be.

You might also want to double check your fuses. I don't rember if there is one inline to the battery from the r/r.

Most of the time when a r/r goes you see high numbers across the battery. Sometimes they will burn themselves up enough that nothing gets through.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Squid

RR and Stator

I talked to the previous owner tonight. He was took very very good care of the bike and had lottsa money to spare. He told me last year he had the RR and stator replaced. Now i dont know what to do. Doing a search on this site I found that lottsa people say that when the RR goes it under charges. What to do???
Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Superstock

I would check the main fuse (30amp) which is located on your starter relay switch located under your rear cowling on the left side. I don't think this is it since you can still start the bike with the starter button, but is easey to check and a good place to start.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Squid

Dennis Kirk

Well, I ordered a new RR from Denns Kirk. Hope thats the problem. If not then I guess its the sator even though that was replaced last year