Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

RLOD Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Squid

Jaytee is on a distinguished road
RLOD Replacement

G'day all.

This is my first posting, and I'd like to say right here that I think that you guys that have been patiently putting up with all the questions from dumb newbies like myself are absolute heroes! This is a great forum with lots of good-natured input and invaluable information.

OK, enough of the brown-nosing. I wondered if anyone else has experienced problems with the dreaded RLOD? I realised mine had died a while back when my engine sputtered to a halt from lack of juice, and there had been no sign of the blinding light from the tacho dial. I followed the check-list from the manual (kindly provided by this forum) and established that the problem was not with the sender unit, or the wiring. Finally cracked open the speedo/tacho unit and confirmed that the tiny LED light itself was dead. I melted the solder off the connections, tested the now free LED once more with a 9V battery and still got no response.

Had no luck at auto shops getting a replacement, so tried a local Dick Smith store (that's the Oz equivalent of your Radio Shack) all they could come up with was a flashing version. I thought about it for a while....... at least it would be eye-catching! I might be the only person to have a FRLOD! So I bought a couple, tested them with a 9V battery....all good. Soldered new light on to wires(very badly, I can't solder to save myself) plugged everything back together......Nothing! Tested light with 9V battery again...still nothing! Melted solder and removed new LED. Tested it with 9V battery.....light works! Soldered it back on and it's dead again.

Although I had proved to my satisfaction that the original LED was in fact dead, I don't understand why the new LEDs won't work once they're wired up. There's a little board of resistors and what-not inside the tacho, just near the LED, is it possible that this has failed?

To make matters worse, I've mucked up my tacho too. While trying to get to the RLOD, I realised I had to get the tacho face off. The two tiny grub screws weren't a problem , but I couldn't see any gentle way to remove the tacho needle. Some firm but restrained pulling on the needle finally caused it to come out with a bit of a pop. It seemed to click back into place happily enough on re-assembly, but now the needle responds to revs pretty sluggishly and indicates rpms about 2000 above actual engine speed. It wont return to zero when I switch off, even though I have twice cracked open the tacho again and reset the needle at the stop. Please don't tell me I need to buy a new unit, they cost an absolute fortune down in in Australia!

Cheers,

Joe
Old 11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, I can probably help you on the LED. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode (if you didn't know). Diodes can only be installed one way since they only flow current in one direction, and thus have a positive and a negative. One wire will be longer than the other. The longer leg is positive. Based on this, maybe there's lettering on the circuit board to say which is pos and which is neg? I dunno, but the reason it didn't work is probably because you had it in backwards.

FWIW, the cluster isn't exactly cheap here either.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Squid

Jaytee is on a distinguished road
Thanks very much Hawkrider, will check it out tonight.

Joe