Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help I think I screwed up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Squid

alvaradol is on a distinguished road
Help I think I screwed up?

I have a 99 Superhawk with only 8000 miles on it, a month ago it started to make a knocking noise from the front, I turned off and when I try to restarted the bike the engile was locked, everyone I talked to said is the CCT, si i went ahead and took the rear valve cover and it looked ok to me the cam chain did not look loose so I went ahead and like a dumb took the cam shaft holders and you know whta happen next, I can't put the camshafts back because I did not loosen up the CCT? what can I do? I think the CCT that when bad is the front one and not the rear one. Any help please.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:39 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
take the cct out...you can reset it once it's out.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
you need to check the front cylinder. You have to time the motor now. Look in the service manual.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by inderocker
take the cct out...you can reset it once it's out.
Not really, once the CCT goes to full extension it is pretty much shot and must be replaced. At this point you would need to get some new CCTs ( of whichever type you like) and replace them both.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Squid

Angry I think is worst

I took my fron sparplug today and the tip of the sparplug looks like if got hit with a hamer, I also took the whole valve case out and there were to 6mm bolts that were broke. I also took the oil pan off to check if there were any pieces of metal, and guess what there were some small pieces of metal. so I dont know is is worthed to keep digging in or just cut my losses and sell the bike for parts. I only pay 2500 for it.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Squid

floridasroadkill is on a distinguished road
engine proplem

I have a complete engine for sale in Florida
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Not really, once the CCT goes to full extension it is pretty much shot and must be replaced. At this point you would need to get some new CCTs ( of whichever type you like) and replace them both.
Actually they can be retracted... otherwise you'd be up a creek when you removed the cams to shim the valves. Remove the 8mm bolt.. behind that is a flat head type screw... wind that clockwise to retract the tensioner.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by inderocker
Actually they can be retracted... otherwise you'd be up a creek when you removed the cams to shim the valves. Remove the 8mm bolt.. behind that is a flat head type screw... wind that clockwise to retract the tensioner.
Yes they can be retracted (and I never said they couldn't) but they also get FUBARed if you don't retract them and remove the tension against them or let them go to full extension for any reason (which is what I did say)
Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 AM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Engine!

Do find a good used engine and forget that canoe anchor. Or, part it down and get a newer Hawk!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
joenuzz
Squid

joenuzz is on a distinguished road
rebuild is pretty cheap with a donor engine

I threw a chain on my hawk and cracked the cases. New cases were 1500 bucks my cost as an employee. I found a donor engine for 250 bucks. Took what i need and replaced what was needed and built a whole new engine for under 600, my cost that is. it is a very very very simple engine to rebuild. And if you need help, just buy the Honda Service man. Pretty good step by step foryou first timers, and fair to decent tips for us salty dog engine builders. but for your problem, definately a complete tear down sorry dude
Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by joenuzz
I threw a chain on my hawk and cracked the cases. New cases were 1500 bucks my cost as an employee. I found a donor engine for 250 bucks. Took what i need and replaced what was needed and built a whole new engine for under 600, my cost that is. it is a very very very simple engine to rebuild. And if you need help, just buy the Honda Service man. Pretty good step by step foryou first timers, and fair to decent tips for us salty dog engine builders. but for your problem, definately a complete tear down sorry dude
Today I took the front valve case cover abd discoverd that the reaon why my sparkplug looks like if got hit with hammer is because one om valve broke and destrot my piston. It has some wholes on it, so yea I'm gonna have to open the engine out to remove that piston and replace it. I may have to replace my whole valve case. any sugestions?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned
MotoGP

E-Bay....
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Squid

I already look in ebay and nothing, I found some websites to buy parts but they racking up in price real quick, so far i'm looking at 500. I may just spend 500 more and buy me a engine.