Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Right side crankcase removal help??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Squid

VTR-2-GO is on a distinguished road
Right side crankcase removal help??

Need instructions on how to remove right side crankcase and what else I will run into. Explanation below...

Well I started today with a project that I have done in the past on other bikes and that I thought would be fairly simple. I needed to change out my right side crankcase cover. However once I removed all of the screws and coolant began to pour out I realized this was a little different than other bikes I have done this on. I now have all of the screws out, oil drained, coolant drained and the crankcase cover will still not come off. Has anyone done this before that can walk me through what else needs to come off and what else I need to be aware of to get this compete. I have already done a search for this and have not been able to find any information. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR-2-GO
Need instructions on how to remove right side crankcase and what else I will run into. Explanation below...

Well I started today with a project that I have done in the past on other bikes and that I thought would be fairly simple. I needed to change out my right side crankcase cover. However once I removed all of the screws and coolant began to pour out I realized this was a little different than other bikes I have done this on. I now have all of the screws out, oil drained, coolant drained and the crankcase cover will still not come off. Has anyone done this before that can walk me through what else needs to come off and what else I need to be aware of to get this compete. I have already done a search for this and have not been able to find any information. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Ok heres some info i used when i took my cover off to replace my ign advancer this will prolly help you

This is a hacked version of how to replace the ign wheel on gregs liter bike site. I take NO
credit for any of this information.

1) Drain the coolant.
2) Drain the oil.
3) Remove the 2 top bolts for the radiator and the one from behind it.
4) Remove all coolant hoses from the water pump cover.
5) Loosen/remove the 16 bolts from the side cover, there's one bolt for the water pump that can stay in, it threads into to the cover, not the block. I made a note of sizes and locations at the bottom of this.
6) Follow the wire for the Pulse Alt Starter Switch to the left side, bottom of the radiator, and disconnect it.
7) Pull the wire out through the right side.
8) Pull off the right crank case cover, set it aside. Small amounts of coolant and oil will drip out, so be prepared

After doing all of that you will have to pry the cover loose from the back theres a little tab
you can get a common (flat) screwdriver under to pop the seal on the case gasket.
Carefull not to pry top hard and tweak the water pump shaft on the front of the cover.
see the attached pictures for refence. hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Right side crankcase removal help??-ignadv1.jpg   Right side crankcase removal help??-cover1_redo.jpg  

Last edited by filter69; 07-27-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Pic redo
Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Squid

VTR-2-GO is on a distinguished road
That was all the information I could have asked for and more. Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by filter69
Ok heres some info i used when i took my cover off to replace my ign advancer this will prolly help you

This is a hacked version of how to replace the ign wheel on gregs liter bike site. I take NO
credit for any of this information.

1) Drain the coolant.
2) Drain the oil.
3) Remove the 2 top bolts for the radiator and the one from behind it.
4) Remove all coolant hoses from the water pump cover.
5) Loosen/remove the 16 bolts from the side cover, there's one bolt for the water pump that can stay in, it threads into to the cover, not the block. I made a note of sizes and locations at the bottom of this.
6) Follow the wire for the Pulse Alt Starter Switch to the left side, bottom of the radiator, and disconnect it.
7) Pull the wire out through the right side.
8) Pull off the right crank case cover, set it aside. Small amounts of coolant and oil will drip out, so be prepared

After doing all of that you will have to pry the cover loose from the back theres a little tab
you can get a common (flat) screwdriver under to pop the seal on the case gasket.
Carefull not to pry top hard and tweak the water pump shaft on the front of the cover.
see the attached pictures for refence. hope this helps.
bump this thread for a good post, thanks it'll help out a bunch