Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Well that looks very different than what is on our bikes:

So my guess is no.

Back to the drawing board. May just have to order the one originally linked.

Last edited by rz_racer_69; 02-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Idunno man...that female plug on ours looks like it will fit...an the ad for the one says it fits the rc51...?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Superstock

Oh you did say that Lol...my bad...but that one you found may work with some jury rigging...with CRIMPS! Cause crimps are pimp, tweety...lol
Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Will this work? My local auto parts store has them for ~$18: Grote 44890

Yep, those will work... Just replace the stock plug with sealed spade connectors... Yeah, crimped, but use shrinktube on them...

But it's an old style bi-metal relay...

Originally Posted by Bandit400man
What?! Rz that's even better! No shipping! An according to tweet they appear solid state...
Eh? How in the peeep are they solid state? Those are not load independant... Says right there on the image... Min. 1 Amps... A minimum load means not load independant... Also, that's just what i described, a plastic hood that is secured to the base, you can see the snap on the side of it...

That it says they are for LED's doesn't mean it's IC based... A bi-metal relay for LED's are just lower min and max load than one meant for incandescents...

I did say to look at it, tap it with your finger and decide if it was a solid lump of resin, or hollow... Then read on it... Solidstate is a hint, LED is a hint, but the markings are usually crap...

However, I'm fairly sure you wont find a solid state relay for cheaper in the local store than the one's linked here, regardless if you go to the bike store or the autoparts store... If you do, your local store is a keeper...
Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Definitely right. The IC models look quite a bit different, like the one linked in this thread earlier.

My local dealership has a Rumble Concept Easy Plug Relay from Tucker Rocky. Like the one HERE

In stock, and not much more than the price of the other one. I'm going to go look at the one they have to see if it will work. It's a two wire, like the one linked earlier.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Superstock

Hmmm...all good things to know! And they call me an electrical designer at work...Lmfao! I gotta lot to learn on the 'magic' side of design lol
Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Here is the Rumble Concept Easy Plug in action after I installed it. http://db.tt/4jjI5oW9
(hope link works, lol)
It blinks a little slow, but it blinks, lol. These are the stock signals.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

In case the dropbox link doesn't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LysTvSrp76Y
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Less than $22 out the door. )
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Superstock

That ain't bad man, good lookin on the vid...but its slow...my uncle got a beamer...blinks nice an fast...an the rear tail light blinks fast then fades to slow...very cool.
But still. An improvement! Is it cold where you are?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Mid 40's in the morning. Right blinker refused to blink in the morning, so I'll see tomorrow morning if this makes a difference. I think it will. I may try another product though to get a faster blink, or I may just get used to it. I wonder if I switch to LED bulbs will it speed up the blink.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Superstock

Idunno...would be interesting either way...keep us posted!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

So they still worked in the cold morning. Still slow blink, but reliable, always works. I think I am going to clean the switch now, as suggested. See if that makes any difference to the reaction time. Sometimes theres a couple of seconds lag between when I hit the switch and when they start blinking, lol.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
So they still worked in the cold morning. Still slow blink, but reliable, always works. I think I am going to clean the switch now, as suggested. See if that makes any difference to the reaction time. Sometimes theres a couple of seconds lag between when I hit the switch and when they start blinking, lol.
The lag time should be the spring in the handlebar switch, so cleaning should solve that...

The speed of the blinking is down to IC programming or component selection, so that should be uniform for both LED's and incandescents, I guess they bodged the design on that particular brand...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Superstock

Good stuff to know, thanks for all the replys, guys...I'm prolly going to go for the adjustable ones first linked...I like a quick blink...and apparently there's only one relay for all four blinkers on the hawk? Bandits got two...
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
The simple answer is that any mechanical relay will need warming up... And the cheap one's are all mechanical...

Spent the money and get an IC based, they work the same in all temps... See the two links...
Hey Markus, both of the linked ic flashers are 2-wire and have male plugs. So one would need to splice on the small female plugs to the flasher or females to the OE wires. They say they work with 2 or 3 wire harnesses but how do they deal with the 3rd wire (and what is it if not a ground; i.e., one wire power + in, 2nd power + out)?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Bandit400man
I'm prolly going to go for the adjustable ones first linked...
Ooh, I didn't see the tab for the programmable relay.
I watched the video, and all the different turn signal strobe effects are pretty cool.

For those that missed it too, they are $49.99.
Here is the link again: Programmable LED/Incandescent Turn Signal Relay

I may have to add their brake light modulator too.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Superstock

Skokie, your right...I guess we are to assume by the website that that 3rd wire is ground...bet that el schematic in the shop manual could tell us what it is for sure.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Well I can tell you the 2-wire IC relays (at least the one I have) do not need any sort of adapter or wiring. It is just plug and play.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you guys are having the same problem I did but it has to be independant of th relay (correct me if wrong) but I find that in the real cold you have to push the turnsignal switch THEN push up on it (at the handlebar).

since this works I dont see how it could be the relay. A shot of contact cleaner then electric lubricant helped(at the bar switch).

If anyone finds that a different relay helps let me know.

Disasseby and emerycloth of the swich contacts and dielectric grease helped too but I still eventually got a new handlebar switch
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Superstock

smokinjoe a new switch did it? I remember having to replace my bandit switch too...but hope its the relay cause It's cheaper! An according to rz, worked for him...
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Not sure if you guys are having the same problem I did but it has to be independant of th relay (correct me if wrong) but I find that in the real cold you have to push the turnsignal switch THEN push up on it (at the handlebar).

since this works I dont see how it could be the relay. A shot of contact cleaner then electric lubricant helped(at the bar switch).

If anyone finds that a different relay helps let me know.

Disasseby and emerycloth of the swich contacts and dielectric grease helped too but I still eventually got a new handlebar switch
One, if you read my previous post you'll find the answers... The switch is part of the problem, as well as the relay...

BTW the reason you had to replace the switch is likely because you used emery cloth... Don't do that to the poor electronics, it didn't do anyhing to you...

Take it apart, clean it from all gunked grease, use an ordinary pencil eraser to clean off any metal surfaces, and bend the taps to get them tighter... Then apply a thin layer of di-electric grease, but not thick enough to make new gunk...

No emerycloth, no WD-40... Those two things are not compatible with electronics, no matter what the commercials says...
Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Hey Markus, both of the linked ic flashers are 2-wire and have male plugs. So one would need to splice on the small female plugs to the flasher or females to the OE wires. They say they work with 2 or 3 wire harnesses but how do they deal with the 3rd wire (and what is it if not a ground; i.e., one wire power + in, 2nd power + out)?
The CustomLeds relays are direct plug-in replacements... You snap the connector of the stock one, and snap it into the new one... 5 second job, and you can't get it wrong even if you try too... Only "downside" is the relay doesn't fit the stock rubber holder, so you need to DIY a mount...

Same goes for the HightechSpeed one...

So, I really don't see the problem...

The reason a relay like the stock one has three prongs are simple... You put power through two of them, it heats the bi-metal flap, it bends and connects the third, which causes a blink, and cools the flap which resets... repeat...

The solidstate IC based ones are different... You send the signal and power through a single wire, since it simply acts as light switch... Power on-power off, and repeats until you re-set the handlebar switch, cutting the power...

Actually, the VTR is even in the list of "plug-n-play" compatible bikes on the CustomLeds page...
And if it wasn't I'd still know it works, since I have one...

Last edited by Tweety; 02-18-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 AM
MotoGP

It was like 600 grit so hopefully not a total disaster.

I will try the flasher you mention tweety but do you ride in 30* weather cuz thats when the issue is prevalent.

The pushing up on the switch still works but it is a safety issue
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM
MotoGP

Oh and tweety, I dont see the links in your orig post to find the load independant relays
Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Superstock

Not his posts, but there in there...first few...
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

Ok got it.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
It was like 600 grit so hopefully not a total disaster.

I will try the flasher you mention tweety but do you ride in 30* weather cuz thats when the issue is prevalent.

The pushing up on the switch still works but it is a safety issue
Well, I try to avoid riding once it's that cold, since it usually means it's slick and icy, but yeah I have ridden in the cold... And I have verified that it works in temperatures below that...

The pushing up on the switch might be a clue that it would help bending the tabs/springs in there to tighten the connection... But that's me guessing...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Superstock

I was out all day yesterday, was in the 50's here in central pa....Damn things didn't work once...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

You should at least spray the switch with contact cleaner. Riding without turn sigs is NOT a safe or acceptable option. You wont survive that way.