SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   replacement winker relays? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/replacement-winker-relays-27559/)

Bandit400man 02-15-2012 06:15 AM

replacement winker relays?

Hello everyone!
So I've discovered that my turn signal light has a very long delay. After a long search and much reading I've decided it best to simply replace them with automobile relays...but which one, and or from what? Comments or precautions from anyone else?
Thanks for the input!

davidka 02-15-2012 07:59 AM

Me too.

Bandit400man 02-15-2012 08:06 AM

You need that info too, I presume?

And yeah I've heard to just remove the existing one and bring it in to an auto parts place...but honestly those employees in general don't know squat about nuttin, let alone electrical issues lol

lazn 02-15-2012 08:10 AM

The delay is usually due to needing the switch cleaned.. My guess is that if you replace the relay it will still have just as much delay as before.

aja 02-15-2012 08:42 AM

There was a whole thread on this before, but the delay seems to be consistent with weather temperatures. The colder the weather, the longer the delay. Some cold mornings my blinkers refuse to work, but on moderate to warm days they work first time, every time. I have torn my switch apart and cleaned it and regreased it with no positive results.

Im sure tweety would know which relay to use.

davidka 02-15-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by aja (Post 324944)
There was a whole thread on this before, but the delay seems to be consistent with weather temperatures. The colder the weather, the longer the delay. Some cold mornings my blinkers refuse to work, but on moderate to warm days they work first time, every time. I have torn my switch apart and cleaned it and regreased it with no positive results.

Im sure tweety would know which relay to use.

This is the same as I experience, left blinker only.

aja 02-15-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by davidka (Post 324946)
This is the same as I experience, left blinker only.

Ya mine is temperamental. On cold mornings, it takes about 5 pushes to get the left to work, but I can press the right 100 times and nothing happens.

Bandit400man 02-15-2012 09:33 AM

Right right we've already established all that..what I...or we would like to know is which automobile relay to use...cause cleaning does nothing, its a design flaw...and another guy on this forum has done it...was hoping for his input...or anybody's that actually swapped theirs out

Stixx 02-15-2012 10:34 AM

This is what I am using.Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play
I swapped to it because of going to led blinkers and having a high flash rate, but should not be affected by temp either.

rz_racer_69 02-15-2012 11:04 AM

Sign me up too. My right blinker does not like the cold, but works fine when 60 degrees or above. Left is no problemo. Somebody, send me a free one, Partsman? :)

jte4200 02-15-2012 11:10 AM

I had the exact same delay problem when it was cold. My left would either have a huge delay or not work at all. The right was fine. I believe it has to do with the load draw changing when cold and having either all LEDs or a mix. I replaced mine with a relay from High Tech Speed (same guys who make the Proton signals) and it fixed the issue.

HighTechSpeed - motorcycle high technology

Bandit400man 02-15-2012 11:19 AM

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin bout! Links! Thanks guys! But has anybody used actual...like Ford truck blinker relays?

jte4200 02-15-2012 03:07 PM

As far as the regular auto relays, I do not know. The issue seems to arise from LED signals not drawing the same amout as a regular bulb.

From the High Tech Speed website: "...virtually all motorcycle flashers are mechanical flashers, designed for bulbs. Using LED signals with a mechnical flasher causes "fast flash", or even failure to flash at all." The cold must alter the resistance and make the problem worse, as was in most of the reported cases.

If you replaced the relay with a car or truck relay, I am not so sure it would fix the problem unless it was made for LED signals. The High Tech Speed relay has the same plug as the OEM relay. It took about 60 seconds to install the new one and it corrected the delay and the fast flash. Hope this helps.

rz_racer_69 02-15-2012 03:22 PM

I believe he, like the rest of us, just wants a cheap way to improve the stock bulb flashers.

Bandit400man 02-15-2012 05:23 PM

Yes! Rz racer got it...so what's the verdict? SOL? Lol

aja 02-15-2012 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 25015

rz_racer_69 02-15-2012 08:21 PM

Unless those are hand signals of how to get to the nearest auto parts store, and what model number turn signal flasher to buy, I don't think that's gonna help, lol.

7moore7 02-15-2012 08:27 PM

I'll wink to that

Bandit400man 02-16-2012 04:44 AM

Lmfao! Yeah, what the heck is that? Sign language? Hahaha tellin ya man, people aren't trained to recognize those...I used a left turn once, an the guy got all angry, thought I was flipping him off or something...

7moore7 02-16-2012 05:02 AM

Those are for other cyclists, particularly in a group ride. Cages are stupid. Throw rock at them. Unless I'm driving one. Then I'm the smartest, most perceptive, super-human petrol powered thing north of antartica.

rz_racer_69 02-16-2012 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 325026)
Cages are stupid. Throw rock at them.

LMFAO

Unless I'm driving one. Then I'm the smartest, most perceptive, super-human petrol powered thing north of antartica.
+1

Tweety 02-16-2012 09:55 AM

The delay is caused by two things... The switch, thick cold grease takes warming up and limbering up... The relay, it's actually a bi-metal switch, ie a metal flap that moves when the current through it makes it hot... So cold morning = slower movement until it builds heat...

So, combine the two problems, and the two solutions... Clean the switch on the handlebar, and clean the contacts inside the signal housings and on the relay... Then it is a good idea to replace the relay to get rid of that delay...

My advice is to get one of the two linked here, both are based on an integrated circuit, instead of an oldschool bimetal relay... However any replacement automotive relay will work really as long as it's threeprong and marked NO, but all of them are "oldschool" and all of them will need warming up even when new...

Tweety 02-16-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit400man (Post 324988)
Yes! Rz racer got it...so what's the verdict? SOL? Lol

The simple answer is that any mechanical relay will need warming up... And the cheap one's are all mechanical...

Spent the money and get an IC based, they work the same in all temps... See the two links...

rz_racer_69 02-16-2012 10:17 AM

Do they sell IC based relays in the car shops? That'll be my next upgrade. :o)

Tweety 02-16-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by rz_racer_69 (Post 325049)
Do they sell IC based relays in the car shops? That'll be my next upgrade. :o)

No, usually not... The only OEM parts that are IC based will be for very new cars that use LED's, and those are probably even more expensive simply because they are OEM...

You can however probably find them as aftermarket parts for cars too though... They should be marked as "load independant" and be made to be used with LED signals...

The best way to tell is that any solid lump of potted resin and made to be used with LED flashers are IC based (resin means no moving parts)... If it's a plastic case that is hollow (tap it with your finger) means it has a moving part inside, ie bi-metal type not the type you want...

aja 02-16-2012 10:55 AM

Off topic question, is there any problems with having led blinkers and not upgrading the relay other than an increased blink rate?

Tweety 02-16-2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by aja (Post 325063)
Off topic question, is there any problems with having led blinkers and not upgrading the relay other than an increased blink rate?

Other than the fact that a mechanical relay will eventually wear out, and LED's make that happen a lot faster, then no...

Bandit400man 02-16-2012 11:34 AM

Kewl ok thanks for the insight, Tweet...looks like those aforementioned led ones are the way to go...even if I got no led's? Right?

rz_racer_69 02-16-2012 11:39 AM

Will this work? My local auto parts store has them for ~$18: Grote 44890

http://www.grote.com/images/prodcat/44890.jpg http://www.grote.com/images/prodcat/44890.gif

Bandit400man 02-16-2012 11:49 AM

What?! Rz that's even better! No shipping! An according to tweet they appear solid state...