Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Rear Shock Safewty Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Rear Shock Safewty Warning

Wasn't sure this should be in the Knowledge Base or not. It can always be moved if needs be.

This needs posting over here as it's a safety issue which members need to be aware of.

Recently over the pond we had a member who's original VTR shock preload adjuster ring snapped and the shock collapsed on him, luckily this happened at low speed.

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - My rear shock collapsed!

After a bit of investigation and keen eyes it's looking like the preload adjuster ring is not manufactured as one piece and has been spot welded together. Others have checked their OM shocks and it seems the same for all. Shocking to say the least (no pun intended).

Anyone that is still running a standard rear shock be aware of this and include it in one of those vital areas that should be checked and please don't go using a hammer and drift to move the adjuster as this would weaken it. Always use a C spanner.

I'd be interested in JD's opinion on this.

(:-})
Old 10-25-2014, 04:01 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like the work had been done with a hammer and screwdriver based on the mark on the collar.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
another good reason to get an Ohlins
Old 10-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Another good reason to not use a hammer as a suspension tool.. Millions and millions of motorcycle rear shocks use a stamped, rolled spot welded steel preload adjuster,,

Did that ONE preload adjuster fail, looks that way....but it's not a reason to condemn them all. By all means have a look at yours and see if the spot weld is fractured

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-25-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:26 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Once that failed, how far can the shock collapse? Completely? It seems it could only collapse the thickness of that collar(?).

My Penske shock failed and the shock (slowly) collapsed completely. I think the only reason it didnt tip the bike was that I have the shock spacer. Had to ride back from Manhattan to Brooklyn. What an uncomfortable ride. Bone jarring I would say.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:49 AM
Superstock

Millions and millions of motorcycle rear shocks use a stamped, rolled spot welded steel preload adjuster,
I never knew that. It doesn't seem the best design to me. Surly the spot weld will always be a weak point.

Once that failed, how far can the shock collapse? Completely? It seems it could only collapse the thickness of that collar(?).
It completely collapsed so the spring unsprung, releasing all it's energy under the butt as it shot upwards. Suspension collapeed to the point of the bike being unrideable. Wouldn't even stand up on the sidestand.

The preload adjuster ring has snapped in two, allowing the spring to rise right up to the top mounting bolt area.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:42 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
"Suspension collapeed to the point of the bike being unrideable. Wouldn't even stand up on the side stand." I think you were the one that "collapeed" . lol
Old 10-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Superstock

Your not wrong.... collapsed in shock that it happened and that it's designed that way. I got to say it played on my mind a couple of times while riding on faster laborious motorway (freeway to you) style riding. I think I will be getting an aftermarket shock sooner rather than later now. Having something like suspension linkages seizing up is one thing but the thought of a shock collapsing at high speeds is something else

Old 10-26-2014, 05:27 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Before we all collapeed all over ourselves maybe someone can whip some up for free. Mat aka cruxGNZ of ACME/Wile E. Coyote fame will do it. TIA!
Old 10-26-2014, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Another good reason to not use a hammer as a suspension tool..
Did that ONE preload adjuster fail, looks that way....but it's not a reason to condemn them all. By all means have a look at yours and see if the spot weld is fractured
Agree'd Erik. This is the first one I've scene or heard of. I wouldn't get our panties in a bunch quite yet. Check out what ya got and if you don't use a hammer/punch/drift you are probably fine.

But by all means, get yourself an aftermarket shock if you can afford it. The benefits are great!!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Superstock

Agree'd Erik. This is the first one I've scene or heard of. I wouldn't get our panties in a bunch quite yet. Check out what ya got and if you don't use a hammer/punch/drift you are probably fine.

But by all means, get yourself an aftermarket shock if you can afford it. The benefits are great!!
That's my thoughts exactly, I don't mean to panic everyone. Just want to bring it to peoples attention as another area to check/keep an eye on and also bring it to attention to those not in the know, not to use a hammer. That could only weaken it and cause problems over time IMO.

Personally I'm going to put an aftermarket shock on mine as I have something in mind already. This has just been the final push to get it fitted. Upgrade opportunity LOL

Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cybercarl
That's my thoughts exactly, I don't mean to panic everyone. Just want to bring it to peoples attention as another area to check/keep an eye on and also bring it to attention to those not in the know, not to use a hammer. That could only weaken it and cause problems over time IMO.
PERFECT,, well said... and thanks for the reminder
Old 10-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
If someone was worried about a sudden failure they could put on a hose clamp as a reinforcing mod.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I am going to go on record and call that a one-in-a-million failure. Most likely due to abuse of the shock and/or overloading.

Its a showa shock right? How many shocks you figure showa made? How often does this happen?

Case sovle-ed.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Sovle-ed indeed.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:28 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Lol