Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Really strange...cluster flickering

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Squid

Blympie is on a distinguished road
Really strange...cluster flickering

I'm new to the forums and yes I have tried searching. I have read a few forums on where people had their cluster flicker and have issues with the regulator. I have a 2003 which from what I read has the updated regulator. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen since they purchased the update parts. Before you ask. No I have not busted out the multi-meter.

I was riding last night going around a corner at 9500 rpm in first gear. Then half way through the complete gauge cluster started bouncing around like crazy. I slowed down just in case so I wouldnt be laying the bike down if it cut out and went around the next corner easy. I shifted into third and was cruising around 3500 rpm and it kept cutting out and coming right back on. So I hit my blinker to see if I still had power or if it would do anything. I hit left and right and both lit up and then it went away. During this time I had no power loss at all. I then pulled up to my driveway and put the bike in neutral and the the N started pulsing. So my first guess way wiring through the cluster. Then the neutral light started pulsing at idle so I started thinking regulator. I have already looked into switching to an R1 reg. I was just curious to see if anyone else has had this with the year range I have. I plan on testing voltage later tonight at idle and 5000 rpm. As well as going through some connectors near the cluster. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Probably still the R/R. While the post 01 R/R is improved over earlier units, it still is known to fail.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
+1 on the r/r go for a replacement asap.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I've heard of cluster f#*king, but never cluster flickering...so I don't have a clue.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
I Have similar issues, actually almost identical... I am a mechanic by trade and haven't busted out the ohmeter either... I use my SHawk to commute and havent taken it down to find out WTF? I have also lost my speedo, but not the Odometer?? and my rad fan no longer runs. It seems to be heating up in commute traffic but at the same time when my cluster freaks out, My temp gauge pegs "hot". I'll keep you tuned in if I ever get around to looking at this...
Old 04-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
it also could be an issue with the wiring harness. I have had issues with the electrical system on my bike. I had experienced the fluttering/flickering you described, which was fixed by replacing the r/r. the second time, about a year and a half later the cluster would cut in and out more than flicker, that was caused by two wires in the wiring harness had melted and they were touching each other. my guess is that your issue is from the r/r. good luck.