Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

REA R SWING ARM SPOOLS ON A HAWK? CAN YOU DO IT?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Markus, as I stated, I thought you were following up for me.

I don't know how you have patience to respond sometimes. In my old age, it's hard for me.

As I'm sure you also know but many member may not, one major factor when welding, especially aluminum (and given an experienced welder who is certified for the equipment and position to be used) is not knowing the grade (Type) of material and its "condition". There are some filler rods that work well on a variety of aluminum types but very often cast and forged and even extruded shapes have been "heat treated" or are alloyed to "age" into a "condition" (i.e., 6061-T6). So the dire results and foibles you mentioned regarding welding can have several causes.

Bottom line, for most people, a rivnut is simple, inexpensive, effective and expedient for this application compared to welding.
Well, my level of patience varies from day to day...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit400man

I may want spools after all...have been using those swingarm supports an the gotdamned things scraped my exhaust a little from being too far inward. With spools that wouldn't have happened. An to get both to line up was aight with my ol man there to help, but once back at my pad in its rightful spot, its gonna be a bitch to do alone...
Yep, I did that too Only takes once, though! Won't happen again...

I find that it's much easier to lift the bike so that it's nearly vertical (off of the sidestand) before putting the rear stand under it. It seems kind of sketchy at first, but after the first couple of times it makes the lining up of the rear stand much easier! I kind of hold it with my left hand and place the stand under with my right.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Yeah I tried that too...but the cheap stand I got...the adapters kina just sit in there and are free to slide back an forth... With a spring no less...its a bitch lol
I wonder why honda didn't just put a dang rear stand there...weight savings? Wtf lol
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Ooooh I see, yeah that'd be tough. For the second part, I think it's cause this bike was designed before spools were really around...