Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

single sided swing arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Squid

bump_evl is on a distinguished road
single sided swing arm

Can any bodyplease help me out by telling me what bike I can steal a single sided swing arm from to convert my 99 vtr 1000. I know that it may weigh more but I just love the look.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:42 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Recommend you do a search, there is lots of info about this topic on the site. I believe the Knowledge Base section has a thorough "how to" article

Mikstr
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
like mikstr said, look in the tech section/knowledgebase. I seem to recall the VFR 800 being a good SSS donor.

Rick B
Old 06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Squid

bump_evl is on a distinguished road
this may sound like a bumb question. Ok, it is a dumb question what do I have to do to see the above mention link of section/knowledgebase. I can't find anything to click on.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
from the main screen on the middle right there is a site navigation box, click on forums and it brings up all the forums - just click on the forum you want.

you can also use the search feature from the main page to search for old topics.

Rick B
02 SH
Old 06-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Squid

jsalansing is on a distinguished road
You need the complete setup from the back of a VFR 800, check out ebay but be ready to pay the CBR guys runs the price up pretty good. I thought about doing this conversion but it seems like its getting to be common anymore on Superhawks. So in my quest to be different I just picked up a stock VTR swing arm and looking into making it hold a 230, yea, I guess I just like a fat ***. Good luck with your project.

Joe....
Old 06-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Squid

zimr2006 is on a distinguished road
go here for the how to on fitting a VFR 800 SSS
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewto...fr750+swingarm
Its a fairly good indepth how to
no pics though which detracts a little
how ever if you got a mind for these things you should get around i easly.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Back Marker

Alan is on a distinguished road
Hi i have just completed my singlesided swingarm conversion and 929 front end if you log onto vtr1000.org go into workshop there are some pics to look at.
I would post them on here but dont know how to, or give me your email and i will send you them
Alan
Old 06-10-2006, 12:03 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alan go into where you post reply and look for where it says manage attachments. When you get the pop-up window push browse and then retrieve your image. It has to be low res usually around 620x460 or so. Maybe you could post your pics and describe what you did. I know we use to have something on it but not sure if it's still here or not.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Back Marker

singlesided swingarm and 929 front end

Thanks Superhawk22 i tried but it says there too big limit is 97kb mine are 142kb what can i do now to upload the pics
Alan
Old 06-10-2006, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

Do you have Photo Suite or some sort of photo software? Just resize it for web or email most programs have it in edit. Or go to like photobucket and host it. Or you could try a link in the quickpost attachments. Hope this helps I'd like to see your bike or I could stop being lazy and follow your link.:-D .
Old 06-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Back Marker

Hi I have photoshop 7 but never used it can i just post the pics in the gallery?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Back Marker

Superhawk i have posted pics in the gallerey if you want to look still a few things to do before its completley finished hope you like it
Alan
Old 06-10-2006, 05:07 PM
MotoGP

Very nice, you can tell you put a lot of work into it but isn't it hard to ride with the bubble wrap still on it. What kind of bars did you end up using? I used heli bars for my GSXR forks. Looks like you spent a lot of time polishing as well. Just curious but did you consider a ss exaust or undertail exhaust? It just seems a shame with the openess of the swing arm to have the exhaust cluttering it up some. But a lot of people feel you have to keep that double exhaust look.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Back Marker

yes forgot to take wrap off before photo as for the bars i used spondon clipons which i got off Daz Sear another singlesider you may have seen his streetfighter.The exhausts will be brought up high rise to show the arm off a bit more but i do like them cranked up like the sp1.I cant bring myself to just having one exhaust as the blueflames sound awesome even better with 2.
Daz's undertail pipes are nice on his if you have seen it, his mate makes them as he used to work for ART exhausts lucky begger

Its still not finished yet as i said before still a few things to do so may change some things.

What have you got and what have you done to it?

Alan
Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

Yeah I've seen Daz's bike, nice work. Did he sell it I saw it was on Ebay not too long ago? Would be nice to have your own exhaust guy to fab things up for ya. Is it ever finished...I still have a bunch of stuff running through my head for mine. It's a 98 with a bunch of mods but not as much work as your bike has. '01 gsxr 1000 forks, calipers and carbon fender, 929/954 triples, zx12 axle and a modified RC51 wheel with 954 bearings for the front. 900rr rear wheel with a bitubo shock, (swingarm soon to be braced with 900rr), FZ1 mirrors, (not in this picture), and indigo head pipe, (also not pictured), with 2 bros carbon fiber slip-ons. It also has a rumble imports undertail, ss lines moded cbr 1000rr and R1 frame sliders,(or bobbins), 15/43 520 sprockets and chain. Harris rear sets, K&N with Factory jet kit, pair valve mod oh and the Heli bars. I know I'm forgetting something else but close enough oh and a Corbin seat. I've been doing a lot of track days so most of the mods have been towards that direction.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Back Marker

No he just put it on ebay to see how much intrest it generated,yes he his lucky with his mate and the exhausts, he has made some awsome designs very talented.You have done quite alot to yours though, was the front end a pain as its a few different pieces of other bikes.Whats the purpose of the pair valve mod?I have read about a few doing it.
Alan
Old 06-11-2006, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

A little more than if I stuck with what I knew fit but not too bad. I knew the diameter of the forks was the same and I knew the 954/929 triples worked on the superhawk so that part wasn't bad. The axle was just because I had one around and it happened to fit. The wheel on the other hand was a bit of a pain. I first tried an F3 wheel which was a major pain to line up, then when I got it all together I found out the rotors were too small. I really wanted the 6 spoke look so I found out that the RC51 had the same size rotors so I figured I'd give it a try. Well the bearings ID was too small for the axle so I tried 954 bearings and spacer and that worked perfectly, even lined up with the calipers without modding. With all that done all I had to do was fab some spacers for the outside which was actually easier than expected and the 900rr rim was a direct swap. Pair valve mod is to loose some more weight and get rid of the popping on decell, this was actually done by the 1st owner, I'm the 2nd owner. Most of my mods were to improve track ridability and then I find out because of them I can't race it in as many classes which SUCKS as I was just trying to make it more competative with what was already out there.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 AM
Back Marker

I would like more spokes on the front but dont know what will fit my setup,i have the 929 front wheel i think it looks a little odd with a 3 spoke front and the vfr rear.I like the popping on decell sounds cool,do you race alot and is your bike just for the track?
Alan
Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 AM
MotoGP

No, it does double duty. Right now I do 2 trackdays every 2-3 months and I'm planning on joining CCS, (like club racing), With a race weekend every month. Unfortunatley the rotors on the 929 were bigger than the rotors on the RC51 but if you could find out if the rotor has the same bolt pattern you could swap out the rotors and bearings. I think they're the same but not positive but I do know that the bearings will fit.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

Just been looking on a cdr manual of the sp1 and the bolt pattern of the brake discs are the same.You say the bearings are the same on the 929 as the sp1 or would i need to swap my 929 bearings to the sp1 wheel so my spindle will fit is this what you meant?
Alan
Old 06-13-2006, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, swap the bearings, rotors and spacer out of the 929 wheel they will fit the hub with no problem.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

Yes i will try and source an sp1 front wheel from somewhere they are hard to come by over here even on ebay i havnt seen many
Alan
Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
MotoGP

They're hard to come by here to and when they do come up it's usually close to $200. I've been trying to get a spare for a while now.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Back Marker

I payed 130 sterling for my 929 front wheel it was immaculate condition though.
Do you know of anyone putting the sp1 rear subframe on and seat unit?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
MotoGP

Somebody did that a while back by cutting the mounts off the vtr sub and welding it to the RC sub, (with slight mod). It should be on here somewhere.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Back Marker

Yes i think thats where i first seen the pics i will search through and have a look.
As my bike is not finished yet and not been able to ride and having put the singlesider on i have had to change the rear sprocket to 43t as you will know,can you tell me how different the vtr is to ride with this gearing?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
In a (non-) word: funner!

On a side note. Look at the dates of the threads you search. I haven't found anything before 2005. I bet there's a lot of useful info hiding in those lost years. Maybe I'm not the only one who's found that to be the case?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:19 AM
MotoGP

Snappier, better throttle response, easier to wheelie, not too much loss on the higher end. In a word better.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

Hi superhawk i like the sound of that especially the wheelie bit not too bothered about top end loss.cheers

Quick Reply: single sided swing arm