Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

R/R or Stator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Back Marker

Camelninja is on a distinguished road
R/R or Stator?

Ok so Im about to order a part on Ebay..... yay... but I need to know how I can tell what the problem is. I have a brand spanking new battery in the Shawk, but the battery keeps dying on me. I even managed to pop start it in second which required a lot more finesse than my last bike, and it allowed me to ride it for quite a long time (30-40 minutes) and then I got off the bike and turned it off and the bike was already dead. I don't have a meter btw... sorry :-( Im a poor college student putting myself through grad-school with the GIBill so I really cant afford to buy a stator AND an R/R... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Squid

Christian_man30 is an unknown quantity at this point
more than likely your r/r. i had same exact problem little over month ago. i switched to this and fixed it right up. ebay.com 320559383085. check this out as well:
http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/
Old 08-01-2010, 01:45 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
over 90% of the time it is the R/R
Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Back Marker

Ok so I went to the website about the R/R replacement. My bike didn't fail when I was riding, once I got it popstarted it ran fine. Does everyone still think that its the R/R? Also, how hard is the operation really going to be? I don't have many tools or good facilities at my disposal so if I ruin this Ill be in deep doody. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The link that Christian man gave you really tells you the whole story... If you go for a R1 unit, that's how you do it... If you replace it with a new OEM unit, you can do it with the tools under the saddle if neccesary...
Old 08-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Back Marker

if I got this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...Q5fAccessories would the operation be easier? In the article that guy says the newer shawk R/R's are fine, anyone know if thats true or not? If the new model shawk R/R would just be plug and play, and if it's as good as the R6 one I would just do that.... if the operation is going to be just as annoying but the part is just as good Ill go with whatever is cheaper.... and even though it goes without saying.... if the shawk part will still suck even in its newer configuration Ill just get the R6 piece. Thanks for all the help guys.... Im sick of driving the cage.... big moving blind spot....

Last edited by Camelninja; 08-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Any R/R will work for getting your bike running... But an R/R without fins is only going to work for a short while... If the R/R without fins are made in China, and are "looking like Honda", it's got what in Sweden is called (translated) curb warranty... Ie the next curb you pass, the warranty expires... That one in the ebay link is such an item... My rating, "utter garbage"

The newer gen SH R/R is barely rated above "crap" in my book... You figure it out...

The Yamaha parts have a large beefy aluminium housing with fins, they have quality controlled parts inside (As does Honda's, they are still crap)... The average used R1/R6 R/R will outlast a new style Honda R/R... which in turn outlasts the older style Honda R/R, which in turn outlasts the Chinese Crap R/R... And a used Yamaha R/R cost about the same as a new Chineses R/R...

The Honda and Honda style R/R's held on by a few bolts, and you need to remove the tail fairing to get to it... Then unclip the wire, and reverse the process... The Yamaha R/R only differs in that you need to either splice in a new Yamaha plug, or separate pins and that's it...

If you don't know how to do that without help, buy a new gen Honda R/R, new and OEM, no copies... Not cheap, and not the best, but plug and play....
Old 08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
A new yamaha R/R is not much either. I think the last time I checked it was under what we would pay new for ours.

looking....
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
well, $130 (2004 r6) but I swear that I saw some cheaper new.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
I can send you my old working rr for shipping if you would like. I wouldn't count on it for to long but it should atleast let you know for sure if the rr is the problem.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Back Marker

Ok it was the R/R. Thanks a ton to everyone for your advice, and a big shout out to Spladle160 for the old R/R to test the shawk. I will be ordering a new R6 one this week and getting rid of any trace of Honda R/R-age. Thanks all!!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
i got an 07 R6 RR thats basically brand new (3000miles) for sale.

let it go for a good price for a fellow SH'er