Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

quick pair system question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
quick pair system question

the pair system is being yanked off the bike and ive been doing some searching on it. theres a line coming out of the clutch side of the block, under the carbs, does it get capped off aswell?

searched and wasnt able to find a specific answer to this. thanks

Last edited by uchi; 11-01-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
lol its not part of the pair..... its just a line that comes out of the block, looks like a vacuum line, runs under the carbs and comes out on the throttle side of the bike.....

question is, any idea where it goes
Old 11-01-2009, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

oh so you undid a line and cant figure it out, see the way you made it sound was it was part of the pair. damn guy, lol
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Back Marker

lol no i didnt un do it, it doesnt look like its been plugged in at all lol
Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 AM
SuperBike

oh, haha yeah well i wonder what its for then. lol
Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Back Marker

dunno, hence asking
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Get yer free manual here, see page 1-25

http://www.superhawk996.net/Honda_VT...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
The one right next to the intake on the front cylinder? That is a vacuum port. It is used on California bikes for the emissions system.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Back Marker

this is a cnd bike, and its actually on the rear cyl under the carb
Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
GixxerJohn, the line you're referring to goes to the petcock I believe. Comes off a nipple on the rear cylinder, right?

Uchi, you really need to be more specific when it comes to questions like this. Pics would help immensely. If you provide as much information as possible right off then you will save time of your own and others.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Yes, that is the vacuum line for the petcock.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:08 PM
SuperBike

hey gixxerjohn asked me to post this, it was his broken english that i incorporated into this post lol

but yeah i agree im terrible at describing stuff
Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 AM
SuperBike

oh boy, i dont think its gonna turn out too nice in here now.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Back Marker

uchi's bike is up and running, and was before this post...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 AM
SuperBike

I don't feel like explaining why someone else is working on my bike but I will to satisfy your curiosity. I was selling a downhill bike. John offered his services along with some parts in trade for it. The deal seemed more than fair so I took it. As for his credability. I've seen what he's built and what he rides. I won't post it up. Maybe he will. But trust me. The man knows his **** when it comes to bikes. But each bike is slighty different. Remember my question about bypassing the carb coolent lines. Works on some bikes and apparantly you loose power on these. I asked to be sure before he did something that made sense to do. You do the same with cars and it works to your advantage. I think I worded the original question wrong and missunderstood what john was asking me to ask on here and that's how this whole confused mess started so ill take credit for that **** up.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Uchi... A couple of things to ponder...

One, you seem to be doing this bout of modifications on your bike without in a very rushed shedule as you ask questions about doing things as the are already happening... No matter if you are doing the work yourself or farming it out, I'd say that isn't a great idea... Research first, pulling stuff apart second is usually a better idea and might keep your from mechanical trouble and even risking getting hurt...

Two, having a masterplan is a good way of doing things... You seem to get your ideas from the guy working on your bike as you go along and as much from the forum posts and very little from yourself... Atleast that's the way it seems reading most of your posts... Stop think things over and figure out where you are going before you end up getting lost and having to rework stuff later at greater cost...

Third and most important... If farming out the work on your bike, no matter if you trust the guy or not, you give him responsability for your life and health... Also you end up not knowing the condition of your bike and the modifications on it... A stock bike is tested in a gazilion ways, a modified is not even if others have done the same mod it's no warranty for safety... The least thing I'd imagine I'd want if considering doing that, is a very specific list of what to do and how, long before I started it... And I'd for damned sure wouldn't leave the bike in the hands of someone who didn't have the service manual for that specific bike in hand, and that needed to ask me any questions about how to do the work... No matter what his previous work looked like...

Oh, and as a side note... Right now you are using this forum, close to abusing it... Not contributing in the least... You use this as a Q&A sheet for your rebuild and a trouble shooting manual instead of doing the legwork yourself... You are not learning a damned thing, despite your claims to the contrary...

I have no trouble at all if a new guy comes here and asks a lot of questions getting a salvage bike up and running, weather he's doing all the work himself or having a shop doing part of the more challenging work... And the same for someone showing up with a stock bike and starting to mod it... Those do learn something and contribute to the forum, giving something back...

Your contribution so far have been a multitude of questions and a couple of insults... Most of the questions are already answeared in the forum and accessible by a 30 second search, and you have been told so... And you have answeared in plain english that you are too lazy to do so... Some of the questions are not covered before, mostly because they are to obvious to need answearing...

My advice, stop burning you bridges by annoying people with unneccesary questions, if a respected member gives you a rather nice pointer about it like drew_c4 did... Well starting a pissing contest isn't the way to get the rest of us on your side... FYI he isn't the only one thinking you could do your own research a bit before asking a question to clarify something, not asking to have the blueprint explained in detail for you...

Now go do your own leg work and research stuff before pulling them apart...

Oh and before you do... Giving a smart *** reply to this isn't your best move... Either ignore me and go on like you have done or take a few minutes and think about it... I'm not going to reply back if you try making this into a pissing contest...
Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM
SuperBike

Well I didn't realise I was making this into a pissing contest. As I posted before I do use the search function and a lot of the time it comes up with a ton of posts which I go through and then I ask if I'm not sure on something. Before I even dropped the bike off with john I gave him the service manual link. We have a solid plan on what's being done. We sat down went through what needed and what I wanted to do to the bike and have added from there only because it was convenient to do so. I'm new to bikes yes but far from incompitant to mechanics. I've built fairly quick cars in my time and have done my fair share of modding to my race quads. But the bike I trust john more than I do myself to do the work. I have no problems learning. Infact most of the stuff being done was planned to be done over the next couple years but the opportunity came up to do it now so I took it. Also with the search. Times like now when I'm at work on my cell phone I just don't have the time to search something out and the internet is just too damn slow on the phone to be practical. And if johns in his shop working and is asking me about a common issue or modification to these bikes I like to try and get him the answer. Again I'm not trying to start a pissing war with anyone. Simply learn a little contribute what I can and enjoy this place.

Also on a smart *** note. I recently contributed to a post about a bike not starting after sitting for a bit
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

wow i missed a lot here lol

at the end of the day, you mentioned a stock bike is tested in tons of ways, and yes, your right, but when you change things, as long as you dont half *** them, and take the time to do them right... there is no problems..... as for the tail section and such, and uchi having diff ideas on what to do, and how they just pop up, ya maybe they do, but doesnt mean anything is half ***, or done quickly.....

ill take all the time i need on something to do it right, if it takes an hour to do a 10 min thing, so be it, hell if it took a week, so be it.....

everyone has different level's of experience with things. The carb question is a great thing to compare on...

my f-body gaines 6 WHP from removing the coolant lines from the TB, yes this bike looses hp or stumbles.... so was it not a good idea to question it? and ask about it??

guys you all need to relax just a tad
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
SuperBike

Just to add one more thing. John what did I say to you when I dropped off the bike? Take your time do it right I don't care when its done. As far as I'm concerned my season is over
Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
MotoGP

Heh... No problem... I'm relaxed... And those replies I will gladly reply to as uchi didn't start a flame war...

gixxerjohn, I'm not saying anything to reflect on you or your skills... I have no knowledge of what your skillset is or your previous work, I kept the above post very general in that respect... I think my whole image of this might be a bit skewed by uchi's rapid fire of new posts... But my statement still stands... Letting somebody else work on your bike means trusting that person with your life... Doesn't matter if it's the mechanic at the local dealership or a friend/aquintance... I prefer to do my own work, than I know who to blame when it fails...

uchi, I'm on an iPhone during the day myself so I know the slow *** searching... But try answearing back "I don't know, I'll find out tonight when I can search", then look through the service manual and do a search... You will probably get the answear as quick or quicker than just throwing a question up in a new thread... Both because you actually know what information you are after and what you already have...

And also because after the umptenth thread with basic questions I think a lot of the people on this forum with a lot of the answears, like me responds with "sigh... Oh well, I'll let someone else respond..." And just closes the window... This instead of telling you to go search... since that is considered to "flame newbs"...

End result, you get faster and more accurate response if we are interested in the subject... Like the carb coolant lines which haven't been discussed in a while, unlike a multitude of other questions that come up every two or three weeks like clockwork... (To prove that you actually managed to lure Greg (Hawkrider) out of the shadows with that one, which is a rarety these days... )
Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Back Marker

i think this thread showed a few things.... when ppl ask a question, they get good help from most, and there is always the bad apple in the mix, who has to run off at the mouth....

ohh well, Thanks again to all who posted up to help the new guy out, even tho this was really a test post, but thank you to all who helped.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Mods, it might be a good idea clean this mess up and lock it so it can still be used for future reference.
No, I'm letting this one go. I think everyone has learned their lesson here today. I fully agree with.....

Originally Posted by Tweety
Heh... No problem... I'm relaxed... And those replies I will gladly reply to as uchi didn't start a flame war...

gixxerjohn, I'm not saying anything to reflect on you or your skills... I have no knowledge of what your skillset is or your previous work, I kept the above post very general in that respect... I think my whole image of this might be a bit skewed by uchi's rapid fire of new posts... But my statement still stands... Letting somebody else work on your bike means trusting that person with your life... Doesn't matter if it's the mechanic at the local dealership or a friend/aquintance... I prefer to do my own work, than I know who to blame when it fails...

uchi, I'm on an iPhone during the day myself so I know the slow *** searching... But try answearing back "I don't know, I'll find out tonight when I can search", then look through the service manual and do a search... You will probably get the answear as quick or quicker than just throwing a question up in a new thread... Both because you actually know what information you are after and what you already have...

And also because after the umptenth thread with basic questions I think a lot of the people on this forum with a lot of the answears, like me responds with "sigh... Oh well, I'll let someone else respond..." And just closes the window... This instead of telling you to go search... since that is considered to "flame newbs"...

End result, you get faster and more accurate response if we are interested in the subject... Like the carb coolant lines which haven't been discussed in a while, unlike a multitude of other questions that come up every two or three weeks like clockwork... (To prove that you actually managed to lure Greg (Hawkrider) out of the shadows with that one, which is a rarety these days... )
Lure me out of the shadows? heheh Now that the riding season is essentially over and all my projects and trips are over with I'm back every day, reading every post, and providing as much as I can.

Originally Posted by gixxerjohn
i think this thread showed a few things.... when ppl ask a question, they get good help from most, and there is always the bad apple in the mix, who has to run off at the mouth....

ohh well, Thanks again to all who posted up to help the new guy out, even tho this was really a test post, but thank you to all who helped, as for drew...... well......
John and Uchi, this forum has been around for a looong time. Before that there were other sources of info (mailing lists with archives) that were our resources. The bike has been around for 11 years and, for the most part, there isn't anything that you can do to the bike that someone hasn't done already (and documented it here on the forum).

You will not hit the nail on the head the first time with the search engine. It sometimes takes several tries and using the Advanced Search helps a lot. Three letter words will not be searched. That's a default with vBulletin that we have to save disk space since all words in all posts are cataloged just for the search engine. I challenge you to give me a VTR-related topic that I cannot find.

Tweety is correct in saying that many questions are asked, and re-asked many times over. Damn, I can't count how many GTO (gas, tires, oil) threads are brought up every year. For those of us who've been here a very long time, it gets very old seeing the same **** over and over. It's borderline annoying. Okay, it's very annoying, but we usually put up with it.

Re: flaming and personal chatter, keep it to PMs or do it on the Post Whoring thread. That's what they are there for. Personally I wish you guys wouldn't flame each other at all, but it's going to happen no matter what. We're human after all, some more "sea lawyers DEF." than others.

And while I'm on my soapbox, did you know that there is a spell checker built into the editor in which I'm writing right now? Some people should use it. (this is for the benefit of all reading this. I'm not calling anyone out here.)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Back Marker

You will not hit the nail on the head the first time with the search engine. It sometimes takes several tries and using the Advanced Search helps a lot. Three letter words will not be searched. That's a default with vBulletin that we have to save disk space since all words in all posts are cataloged just for the search engine. I challenge you to give me a VTR-related topic that I cannot find.

how about a how to on doing the gsxr tail swap lol

j/k
Old 11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
SuperBike

yeah but if i use the spell check then i might not be able to read what i wrote, lol. just kidding glad this thread calmed down a bit
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gixxerjohn
how about a how to on doing the gsxr tail swap lol

j/k
well, Smuckenstein did it, but no write up:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13026
Old 11-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Back Marker

i was kidding lol, i know what has to be done, just was ball busting cause he said a challenge, so i said find me a how to on the tail swap, and u wont find it.....
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM
MotoGP

A how-to, nope... But a thread about it yes... Like several people have said... There's more info in forgotten parts of this forum than most of us will ever learn about it...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

again just being a smarty ***, when im done with this, ill give a full step by step if anyone wants it......
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

Dammit lazn beat me...

uchi... I kind of like you around... even though you remind me of my nephew... Half the time I want to strangle him just to have some peace and quiet...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator
World Champion

See, told ya.

Here's another one: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ht=gixxer+tail

As for clean-up, I will selectively edit posts and remove certain posts which I find have zero value to this forum and/or topic.

Quick Reply: quick pair system question