Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Squid
Squid

novamon is on a distinguished road
Purchase Advice

I'm brand new to the forum and don't own a SuperHawk yet. I'm gathering information so I can purchase intelligently. I've been riding since 1966 on a variety of machines so I'm not new to the sport. Whomever has some hard-earned knowledge about what to watch for in a purchase and problems particular to the SH, I'd love to hear from you. No need to go over the obvious problems like poorly done modifications and bad maintenance. I need help with things that are specific to owning a SH.

Many thanks.
Novamon
Old 01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum.
You will find lots of great info here. To get you started and to answer your questions, there is not much mechanically different between the years - newer bikes (think its 02 and up) get an updated instrument cluster.
Universal issues with the superhawk are the regulator/rectifier and the cam chain tensioner. CCT generally get changed with manual - APE is common, and the RR is updated with newer finned honda or yamaha models that work.
As for looking for anything specific it really is pretty much the obvious items as you mentioned.
Again, welcome - And good luck finding a VTR
Old 01-30-2010, 05:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah Steve mentioned the most common mechanical worries...other than that I'd say you should be able to find a pretty nice bike at or just above trade in value. It's alot of bike for the money, and you'll see folks out there asking for more, but the truth is they're going to be sitting on them for awhile. Sucks for any of us who own one and want to sell, but that's kinda how it is right now. Welcome aboard. Where are you located?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Plus, I hear that the RED "98" Bikes' engine's were assembled with "special matched" components to make a big impression for the first year intro. It's why their the fastest one's..lol. Hope ya find a good one.

Last edited by stebbdt; 01-30-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Everyone knows yellow goes faster! The only time red goes faster is when its actually scarlet and the other color is maize!!!! But really, there are some good deals out there and some dreamers for sure. You should know that its a noisy bike by nature so some of them are just natural.

Last edited by dshakes; 01-31-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Squid
Squid

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I just have to use my head and not get over anxious. I should have bought the left-over '04 I saw brand new in '06. Timing was bad for me then though. When I finally did call back the dealer had sold it the month before.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Squid
Squid

I'm located about 60 miles north of the NYC metro area. Terrific roads up here for a bike like the SH. I'm out my driveway and into stone country-side at the first left turn. I commute on the train so this would be strictly a fun driver.