Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
PAIR???? Or Not......HELP

OK before I get a bunch of " use the search" or other grief I just wanna know what I have. Went to disable and remove the PAIR system today and when I lifted the tank and removed air box I noticed that there was no vacuum lines anywhere and when I found what I believe was the PAIR it has TBR block off plates.

Am I correct?

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP-rear-pair-block-off-plate.jpg

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP-front-pair-block-off-plate.jpg

Also as far as the carbs, notice the middle and the two vacuum lines together, do they need to be caped off? Right is front of bike.

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP-carbs.jpg

And if you look at the upper portion of the pic there is some bulky plastic thing attached to a big hose going to the top of the valve cover, dont know what that is and why it would be just sitting there. There is one for the rear valve cover as well. To me it looks like someone disabled and removed the PAIR and installed block off plates, caped the bottom of the air box, but didnt finish the job. Maybe?

Oh if the PAIR is removed and disabled why would my SH still pop on decel?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Yep, the PAIR system is gone. Don't cap off those hoses in the center of the carbs. You can stop some of the stumbling and the bike conking out on hard braking by turning the hoses downwards.

That hose from the front valve cover should be attached to the bottom of the airbox... that clip looks pretty odd???
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Ok. Bike runs strong. Little bit of "lean burp" if you will at a steady cruse around 3k. Still pops on hard decel.
The "big plastic thing" in the 3rd pic is also the same on the rear valve cover attached to a big hose. All leads on the bottom of the air box are caped, except the ones leading to the triangular areas inside the air box. Which are the short hoses coming from the carbs to the triangular areas.
Should I reconect the big hoses to the bottom of the air box?

Last edited by 00SUPERHAWK; 02-25-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Explaination of hoses
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM
SuperSport

I'd reconnect them, unless somebody else knows whats up with those clips?

I know its not like that on my hawks?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Hey Matt, Whats weird is on the air box there is no spot for those big block looking things. Almost like someone installed those to replace attaching the hoses to the air box. Cause the corresponding connection on the box are caped. Hmmmmm???
Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

OK VT, thanks!!! Now do they connect to the corresponding ends on the air box that form a 90* inside the box?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

OK so I got the one out of the rear crankcase vent hose.

Here-

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP-2012-02-25_18-54-07_336.jpg

Hose seems to be ok and I can reconnect to the air box. Front one is gonna be a bitch to remove and I can see that it will be a PITA to connect to the box.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Squid

eram is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 00SUPERHAWK

Hose seems to be ok and I can reconnect to the air box. Front one is gonna be a bitch to remove and I can see that it will be a PITA to connect to the box.
Yeah...it is; find someone with small hands and reach in to the front of the small bar :3
Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

And that someone aint me. I have large hands. Ill be at it for a while....Tomorrow. Im done for tonight.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Did notice this large plastic plate over the front valve cover and the front hose routes through, all most seems easier to remove the plastic cover (plate) and there would be a lot more room to get a hand in there. Just a thought. It can be seen in the first post 3rd pic.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Those are the crankcase vent hoses. It looks like someone put automotive type crankcase breather filters on the end of the hose. I would remove those and hook the hoses back up to the airbox, to make sure you're getting clean filtered air into the crankcase.

Check the fit first, to make sure the PO didn't cut the hoses. The front one is a pain to attach to the airbox and install the hose clamp, unless you've got kid size hands. I've found that removing it from the valve cover end makes hookup to the airbox easier, then reattach it to the valve cover.
That was my guess as well. Glad you chimed in.

Your right about the small hands thing. I'll try connecting to the airbox first and the valve cover second the next time I pull the airbox.

00SUPERHAWK, if the P.O. put the breathers on the valve cover breather hoses, did they plug the inlets to the airbox?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by matt365
That was my guess as well. Glad you chimed in.

Your right about the small hands thing. I'll try connecting to the airbox first and the valve cover second the next time I pull the airbox.

00SUPERHAWK, if the P.O. put the breathers on the valve cover breather hoses, did they plug the inlets to the airbox?
Yes, all the inlets on the air box were caped or plugged, except the inlets for the triangular areas those were connected.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

So if by removing the PAIR, is to stop the popping on decel then what might be causing my to still pop. Not that it bothers me, notice more since the bafflectomy.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
So if by removing the PAIR, is to stop the popping on decel then what might be causing my to still pop. Not that it bothers me, notice more since the bafflectomy.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
The bafflectomy simply made your bike flow more air, leaning it out more. You have a lean pop meaning your pilots are too lean. If they are stock 45's, change them to 48's. That should help. Read the carb tuning FAQ for more info, and other steps you should do.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

RZ, Thanks will do!!! That was next on my list, But I have read so much on here about the carbs my head is spinning. What .xxx to shim the needles, some have said .020 for both and some have said .040F/.060R, what jet size to run, #48 or #50 and so on. UGH!!!!

VT, as did I, thanks again.

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Well after fighting with the front hose for a better part of 20min, trying to figure out why it wont connect to the air box I removed it from the front valve cover and sure enough the Dum Azz who first owned this bike cut the hose!!!!

DAMIT!!!!

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP-front-valve-cover-breather-hose.jpg

So now I guess Ill be heading to the auto parts store this morning to try to find a replacement. UGH!!!!!

Oh one more thing, is there supposed to be some sort of foam filter material in the triangular areas of the air box? Im running a stock AF, and it so they aint there either.

Last edited by 00SUPERHAWK; 02-26-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Asked about filter material
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

OK so after having to make my own vent tube for the front valve cover breather tube (had to splice the OE and another piece together to make the two 90* bends) thats fixed.
But as I have done some reading on the forum I am missing the sub filters that go in the air box for the carb vents. NOW WHAT DO I DO? Does anyone have a pic or two they can post up so I know what I need to buy/make??? Please, wanna get the bike back together to ride later. HELP!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

True VT, sorry to hear that!!! Um the little filters do they have a center hole in them to sit completely in there triangular areas?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Again sorry. Makes my filter issue trivial. I hope you get'er runnin again. Im heading to Autozone to see what type of filter material they have (since the 500 is on rain delay). Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Well on to my next idea for the front valve cover vent hose is gonna be (till I can order one from honda, if I can?) route a hose from the front valve cover to a conical breather filter and zip tie it to the cross tube under the air box. My attempt at splicing the old line (which was cut by PO) with a new section of line isnt gonna work. The new line has a thicker wall and is stiffer, wont bend to reach the air box without forming a kink in the tube. So Ill contact Honda here in town tomorrow and try to order a new "S" tube and till it comes in Ill run my above idea.

Here is my carb filter setup, hope it works-

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP-filter-material.jpg

PAIR???? Or Not......HELP-air-box-filters.jpg
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Enjoy your Superhawk!

Replacing the fuel pump on an SV takes less time than removing and replacing the airbox on a VTR, so no sweat. It's the price of the new pump that sucks, $750 list... good thing the dealer gives me a discount on parts.

Sometimes carbs are better than EFI.

WOW
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Hey VT Thanks for the part number for the filter, do you by chance have the part number for the "S" vent hoses?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Well some times its best to just go to Honda and order the correct part vs trying to fab something up. Almost 20 bucks later and I have the front "S" valve cover > air box hose and the little sub filters ordered. Parts guy said it will be here in a couple of days. I have it engineered and working for now, till the parts come in.
Now while I was at Honda I did see a NICE CBR1000RR I would like to have, sales man wants me to bring the SH down to trade in.......LOL Wife would kill me, Older (2000) SH paid for vs a New (much faster= trouble) CBR1000RR and payments......HMMMMMM, Can you say DIVORCE!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Be strong man, I know she may be prettier but just like the super model you see on the cover of a magazine, she's going to cost you!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Be strong man, I know she may be prettier but just like the super model you see on the cover of a magazine, she's going to cost you!

NICE!!! LMFAO!!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Fuel Pump

Enjoy your Superhawk!

Replacing the fuel pump on an SV takes less time than removing and replacing the airbox on a VTR, so no sweat. It's the price of the new pump that sucks, $750 list... good thing the dealer gives me a discount on parts.

Sometimes carbs are better than EFI.
The fuel pump on a Kaw zx-12 can be replaced by automobile pump from a common car for $80 or so. Look for a similar fix for the sv650 and enjoy the savings.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same position needing a suitable stand in for those small foam filters until the OEM stuff arrives. Did your hand cut filters work OK for you?

Well on to my next idea for the front valve cover vent hose is gonna be (till I can order one from honda, if I can?) route a hose from the front valve cover to a conical breather filter and zip tie it to the cross tube under the air box. My attempt at splicing the old line (which was cut by PO) with a new section of line isnt gonna work. The new line has a thicker wall and is stiffer, wont bend to reach the air box without forming a kink in the tube. So Ill contact Honda here in town tomorrow and try to order a new "S" tube and till it comes in Ill run my above idea.

Here is my carb filter setup, hope it works-

Attachment 13465

Attachment 13466
Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
I'm in the same position needing a suitable stand in for those small foam filters until the OEM stuff arrives. Did your hand cut filters work OK for you?
Yes they did. I doubled them up both front and rear and they were working fine. My oem filters got here in a week so now there in the air box.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 AM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
OK. Thanks.