Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ok who has the 1000rr rims front and rear on stock ss.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Ok who has the 1000rr rims front and rear on stock ss.

I cant find even the photos with the search. Heck I cant even find a bearing swap guide. I know how to press them out but I dont want to miss anything also if someone else did all the steps I want to know what they did to get the rim on. I am at the point I may just change the tire for now and weld the adjuster portion from the rr swinger onto this one in the next week. Both wheels are off. I will measure the weights now.

A fast reply would be appreciated as my bike is on a jack with both wheels out. Rim goes in the space just fine. The rotor seems the same.
I will edit in a few minuites to a few hours to either say what I did or say I failed.

Edit: Ok so here is what I found. The easiest method is to drill out the axle bolt to the size of the rr axle bolt. But you also have to use the rr caliper mount. If you use the caliper mount you also have to weld on the holder or fab one up. By that point you may as well swap out the ajuster set from the rr. I am holding off and I am going to swap just the tires.
BTW with everything.
Tire and all the stovck vtr rim weighs a heafty 15.4 kg. with an aluminum sprocket.
The 1000rr weighs 13kg with everything. Also the axle is lighter.
That is a 3 spoke type from an 05.

Last edited by RedStormJ; 11-08-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Look up the member NHSH. He has late model CBR1000RR front and rear wheels on his Superhawk. I believe he mentioned how he did it here.

You will be suprised how much lighter those stock CBR wheels are compared to the stock Superhawk wheels.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Superstock

COuldnt remember the name. Thanks a bunch. This is like the third or fourth time you have really helped me. I really want to get them swapped as the cush is all dried out among other things plus two kilos of spinning mass gone.

Ok so I looked into a conversation he had a long time ago nd for the most part im right. Im going to PM him to find out exactly what he did. Btw Mounting the stock 1000rr rim is not the only thing I am after. The 1000rr is popular so in the future I can swap out to a carbon or mag rim.
EDIT:
Duhh!! It just dawned on me. Why not make an axle spacer for the rim. I mean the bearings should ride on that just fine or will it spin and burn up. I could put a pin in it that would keep it still. I dunno but it may work. Well see what happens I really am excited about a potential 4 kilo loss if I do the disc the rubber and I believe the sprocket is steel.

Last edited by RedStormJ; 11-09-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I don't mind helping out. Over the last ~5 years, I have gleened a lot of information from this site. I have also rebuilt my Superhawk from the ground up twice now.

Most wheel swaps can be done with a simple bearing swap and custom spacers. It can be done on the cheap if you have a buddy that has access to a metal lathe.

Getting the brakes to work is a seperate matter.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:39 AM
Superstock

Got the answer and he did so quickly. NHSH drilled out his swing arm to accept the new axle which I believe is stronger and a few grams lighter. He also drilled out the adjuster area just a little bit to accept the CBR adjuster.
He said that he also had to play with the spacers a bit. I believe the CBR is a little tight. Thats what I saw yesterday.

In hindsight I was going to do the same but instead I dismounted the rubber from the rim. I need the bike and I will use the spare engine to cut the CBR swinger to fit the bike. even though I am sure the CBr swing arm is better somehow I want to make sure its lighter so I have to strip the caliper off from it.

Bad news update: I think I screwed up my rear brake which I use a lot. Bolt didnt go in all the way and For some reason I have no rear pressure. Investigation this weekend.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:14 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
The rear wheel of the CBR1000RR including the cush is lighter exactly by 5 pounds from the stock VTR wheel and cush, and yes, it is from a later model 09-11
Old 11-10-2016, 09:17 PM
SuperBike

RedStorm, the CBR swing arm is lighter I'm sure, the question is how you going to make the suspension and rear exhaust fit with this swing arm? If I'm getting your idea correctly...
Old 11-11-2016, 06:59 AM
Superstock

I am going to cut part of the center post out and attach it to the engine as usual the j tube should fit. I plan on using a 1000rr shock. I am going full custom Monocoque tail so if I need to extend the frame a bit for the shock mount it should be fine. A bolt on frame mod or possibly welding on a shock mount. It should clear. Who knows if I get my Titanium bits next month I can use the stock header as a test bench for fitting.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:13 PM
SuperBike

That would be very interesting, please post some pictures as you go
Old 11-12-2016, 01:31 AM
Superstock

Will do. It will probably happen in a month or so. I been tied up with getting the bike right. My cct was too loose. I had a bald tire. Went for one last good ride through the mountains today. Just got home and I am freezing.

I really like the feel of the 190 tire so I am sure to like the 1000rr swinger and tire. I just need to measure and cut. I also need to track down this mystery welder just in case I need a shock mount made. If I had a tig and the rear shock it would already be on the bike.

I got a tone of other things going on with the bike right now though. A carbonfiber tank. Monocoque tail. Ti exhaust. So well see when I can actually buy the shock.